Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Trucks been stock long enough! Which tuner/intake

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Mr Powell 
#1 ·
Ok so I've been driving at stock power for around 2400 miles, way too long for me not to mess with it, I don't want to do a dpf delete (had a deleted 6.4 and was a pain to swap back for service) just a dpf on tuner and an intake, I was thinking an Sct tuner and a sealed afe intake. Anyone have any suggestions or input on this? My mechanic said to leave it alone and everything is setup to work the way it is.

#2 ·
My suggestion is hollow out your DPF, and leave it on the truck, with an H&S race tuner. :thumb:

I couldn't spend $1000 on a tuner, and not utilize the delete portion. Plus with a street tune, you will be regening more frequently then you already do. JMHO

#3 ·
Hmm that's an idea there, my buddy was going to have a shop do our Dpf's on our 6.4s, the egr block offs are fairly easy on these trucks too aren't they?

#4 ·
Yeah swapping back isn't that bad. I can have my 6.4 swapped back in about an hour and a half. The problem is that no tuners have really outstanding dpf present tuning. They add power buy with power comes more soot which will fill the dpf more frequently causing the truck to have to regen more which could cause you more issues than simply deleting. Another thing is that you can still be denied warranty because it was tuned if the dpf gets clogged and you have to replace it and ford denies warranty you will have to pay for repairs. Last I heard a dpf was a couple 1-2 grand if I'm not mistaken?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#5 ·
Yea I've swapped my dpf back on my 6.4 a few times, just a PITA, I think I'm going to look into getting my dpf gutted and if I ever have to take it in for service just tune it back to stock

#6 ·
Gut the DPF, and run a Filter back exhaust. Then if you have to take it to the dealer, throw the stock filter back exhaust on it. (The aftermarket one will have soot in it... Easy sign your truck is modded)

#10 ·
I have had the itch to tune/delete from day 1. About 8 months and 4K miles....

#8 ·
Innovative Diesel's DPF ON tuning has had some very great reviews. Clearly his reputation with 6.0s and 6.4s speaks for himself in how good his tuning is. I love his tuning

#9 ·
My 6.4 had the custom innovative tunes, Eric knows what he's doing! I might try to get my dpf gutted and run the h&s tune so I don't have the extra soot clogging my dpf

#11 ·
straight pipe, H&S Race tune, EGR Delete, and S&B intake...go all the way, no half-assing

#13 ·
Couldn't have said it better. If you look around enough on here you'll find that a lot of the problems that have left people stranded on the side of the road are stupid sensors related to the exhaust and the truck going into limp mode. Deleted trucks don't have to worry about those issues. Not to mention the torque gain between DPF on and off tuning is ridiculous like an additional 200ftlbs. The S&B is the popular solution for sure, I run one and the H&S with open downpipe on my truck and the only recommendation is to remove the airbox lid because it actually performs better this way.

#12 ·
I have a spartan and 5" exhaust with stock intake. I have been happy with it. Once and awhile I get a hard shift from 1-2 but its not very often. My mpg has gone up. With the lie-o meter I was average for lifetime of truck at 17.7. Since adding tuner t has gone up to 18.2. I do check my mileage every tank by hand and its pretty close. I have got up to 21 mpg on a tank which was mostly highway a I usually drive 5-7 over te speed limit.

#14 ·
I know Ford has technicians pulling check sum value out of the PCMs on warranty work on all turbo equipped vehicles 2011+ and 2011+ Mustangs. So if you flash the pcm, Ford knows. Im all about deleting, just want you aware that they can tell if vehicle has been tuned.

#17 ·
"Fingerprint" identifications for ECU mods have been around for long long time. It is always a threat dealers try to play. They still have to prove on certain cases that is indeed what broke your part.

The Porsche A/C I had replaced under warranty with my first aftermarket turbo kit. There was NO way the added pieces could have caused it to fail.

Ford has been known for this for even back to the first years of the 6.0 (I had an 04 Duramax and multiple friends had new 6.0s when trans were failing, etc.). Unless you really screw something up you are safe 99% of the time. There will always be horror stories though about dealers and service techs, some are very cool/smart and other that have no fkn clue what they are doing. They just have their certs from whatever brand and it's either there way or the highway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.