DPF delete? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 07:11 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DPF delete?

Good morning guys. I'm new to the forum & new to the diesel scene as well. Just purchased a '13 F250 Platinum edition & I love it so far. I keep coming across he term DPF delete & I have no idea of what that is. Does anyone mind explaining it to me? What are the pros & cons to this? Also, what are the benefits of having your vehicle tuned? Thanks in advance & I apologize for my ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2013, 07:18 AM

DPF= Diesel Particulate Filter...AKA Big Ole Cigarette Filter in your Exhaust. Look under the Passenger side...You Can't miss it.

The DPF captures all the Soot/Black Smoke. Once the DPF starts to get clogged, it goes through a process injecting DEF Fluid into the exhaust system and does a High Temp cleaning you could say of the exhaust system. There are plenty of videos that explain the whole process along with the pros and cons...biggest Con...Voided warranty.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:29 AM

I'm assuming that this is what's happening when my info screen says its cleaning the exhaust filter?
Old 05-10-2013, 02:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRBURN View Post
DPF= Diesel Particulate Filter...AKA Big Ole Cigarette Filter in your Exhaust. Look under the Passenger side...You Can't miss it.

The DPF captures all the Soot/Black Smoke. Once the DPF starts to get clogged, it goes through a process injecting DEF Fluid into the exhaust system and does a High Temp cleaning you could say of the exhaust system. There are plenty of videos that explain the whole process along with the pros and cons...biggest Con...Voided warranty.
DEF is not injected for regens. Diesel fuel is what burns off soot in the DPF during regens.

DEF is part of the selective catalyst system. It works in conjunction with the EGR to reduce NOx. DEF is only injected when the computer tells it.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHORTON79 View Post
I'm assuming that this is what's happening when my info screen says its cleaning the exhaust filter?
You got it. And I am assuming you have seen your lie-o-meter drop down to 10mpg during the regen?
Old 05-10-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG Laing View Post
You got it. And I am assuming you have seen your lie-o-meter drop down to 10mpg during the regen?
I haven't seen it drop to that degree. I'm actually averaged around 16-17 mpg so far. I have a tad over 1100 miles so far.
I've read somewhere that a delete on the newer 6.7s isn't as beneficial as it is on the 6.4s. Is this true? Also, I still haven't been able to find out what the pros are for the delete.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHORTON79 View Post
I haven't seen it drop to that degree. I'm actually averaged around 16-17 mpg so far. I have a tad over 1100 miles so far.
I've read somewhere that a delete on the newer 6.7s isn't as beneficial as it is on the 6.4s. Is this true? Also, I still haven't been able to find out what the pros are for the delete.
More power, better miles per gallon, sounds like a diesel, less oil dilution, and smells like a diesel. (You have to get a tuner to delete)

for about 15 minutes after the message pops up cleaning exhaust filter, your instantaneous mile per gallon readout should be like 10 to 12.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:06 PM

I haven't noticed that yet. I'll be sure to look closer next time.

Ok. More power and mpg gains are always good.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:47 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRBURN View Post

I agree with everything except your biggest con. Voiding the warranty is a biggy....but violating state and federal smog laws is much bigger. Looks like the EPA upped the ante in terms of fines...looks like in excess of $30,000 for tampering or removing emissions control parts.

Just saying the troubles with the EPA would probably be bigger and more expensive than the factory warranty issue. Something that needs to be considered in this day and age.

Wayne
Old 05-11-2013, 12:29 PM

I definitely don't need that kind of headache. I've heard that H&S is a great tuner to use even with the emissions parts on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.