Want to fit 38x15.5x20's - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 07:41 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Want to fit 38x15.5x20's

Hey guys

Picking up my new 2013 F350 Lariat sometime in the next few weeks. This is my first brand new truck ordered just how I want it, so I'm super pumped!

I've had trucks on 35's and 37's in the past but I want to go a little bigger and a LOT wider. I want to run 38x15.5x20 Toyo's on some Fuel Maverick or Fuel Driller 2-piece wheels. What would it take to fit these under the truck?

The choices for widths/offsets are as follows:
20x10 -19
20x12 -44
20x14 -76

Toyo recommends a 20x12 wheel for the 38x15.50x20, so I'd like to stick with that if possible. 20x14's would be cool but I'm assuming would exacerbate rubbing problems? Would these tires on a BDS or Fabtech 8" lift be okay? I have already ordered Bushwacker fender flares and will be running bulletproof set back mud flaps. I want to keep the stock front bumper, and I really want a setup that will not rub without needing to go with glass fenders or something silly like that. I drive down a lot of lease roads and when I'm not at work this is my daily driver so I do want to be able to make turns in parking lots without rubbing on my fenders.

Thanks for the advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 09:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I see your new, so I won't flame you to much...

38's and 40's have been done many times on this site. If you use the search function or explore the threads a bit, you will have all the answers you need.

20x14 would not cause anymore of a rubbing issue since your tires are are 15.5" wide. After a big enough lift, the offset/backspacing is what will cuase them to fit/rub or not. 12" wide with -44 puts the centerline of the wheel in almost the same place as 14" wide with -76. They are only 6mm difference in centerline position...

Also for best results on threads, make sure they are in the right section. This thread would be better in "6.7 exterior" or "General Suspension/Wheels Tires"
Old 03-05-2013, 05:40 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
X2..............They will stick out of the fender wheel.... 8" kit will clear but may rub the 4 link or radius arms..Pm me if I can help.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG Laing View Post
I see your new, so I won't flame you to much...

38's and 40's have been done many times on this site. If you use the search function or explore the threads a bit, you will have all the answers you need.

20x14 would not cause anymore of a rubbing issue since your tires are are 15.5" wide. After a big enough lift, the offset/backspacing is what will cuase them to fit/rub or not. 12" wide with -44 puts the centerline of the wheel in almost the same place as 14" wide with -76. They are only 6mm difference in centerline position...

Also for best results on threads, make sure they are in the right section. This thread would be better in "6.7 exterior" or "General Suspension/Wheels Tires"
The only problem with searching is there's so many conflicting results.

"I fit 38x15.5's on a 6" lift" - Forgot to mention he's on an old body style with cutout fender flares.

"I needed an 8" lift plus a 3" spacer to fit" - Leaf spring front end truck

No real concrete information, and not many people with the newest body style, hence why I was posting here.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushin View Post
The only problem with searching is there's so many conflicting results.

"I fit 38x15.5's on a 6" lift" - Forgot to mention he's on an old body style with cutout fender flares.

"I needed an 8" lift plus a 3" spacer to fit" - Leaf spring front end truck

No real concrete information, and not many people with the newest body style, hence why I was posting here.
Lift kits are still not performance products.

Yep... The search function still works 10" fabtech with 22x14 with 40's
Old 03-09-2013, 02:16 PM
Premium Member

Search engine is good, but no need to be a pain to an easy answer question.
Just answer the thread and there you go. I get what hes saying as some arent as familiar with the site and what to choose from.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Smokey View Post
Search engine is good, but no need to be a pain to an easy answer question.
Just answer the thread and there you go. I get what hes saying as some arent as familiar with the site and what to choose from.
I answered his question to the best of my knowledge in my first post (post #2 in the thread). So for anyone, including you to complain about my answer is BS.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG Laing View Post
I answered his question to the best of my knowledge in my first post (post #2 in the thread). So for anyone, including you to complain about my answer is BS.
Probably need to get your eyes checked there bud.

Quote:
Hey guys

Picking up my new 2013 F350 Lariat sometime in the next few weeks. This is my first brand new truck ordered just how I want it, so I'm super pumped!

I've had trucks on 35's and 37's in the past but I want to go a little bigger and a LOT wider. I want to run 38x15.5x20 Toyo's on some Fuel Maverick or Fuel Driller 2-piece wheels. What would it take to fit these under the truck?

The choices for widths/offsets are as follows:
20x10 -19
20x12 -44
20x14 -76

Toyo recommends a 20x12 wheel for the 38x15.50x20, so I'd like to stick with that if possible. 20x14's would be cool but I'm assuming would exacerbate rubbing problems? Would these tires on a BDS or Fabtech 8" lift be okay? I have already ordered Bushwacker fender flares and will be running bulletproof set back mud flaps. I want to keep the stock front bumper, and I really want a setup that will not rub without needing to go with glass fenders or something silly like that. I drive down a lot of lease roads and when I'm not at work this is my daily driver so I do want to be able to make turns in parking lots without rubbing on my fenders.

Thanks for the advice.
I even bold'ed the relevant parts. You tell people to search so much that I'm sure you're tired of hearing that word and wouldn't want to do it yourself.

You told me that wheel width shouldn't matter for fitting them under my truck. Which is directly contradictory to everything I've ever read on these or any forums, or experienced in real life. A wider wheel will tend to flatten out the tread pattern and make the shoulders a little bit wide, especially on something like a 15.5" wide tire going from a 10" to a 12" or a 14" wheel. I searched, thanks. You answered, in a way I believe to be incorrect, one third of my question. You're like seeing a doctor for back pain, a headache, and bad gas and he sends me home with rogaine and a link to webMD.

Also, thanks for that post about fitting 40's on a powerstroke that is a show queen, with no mention of how it rides, if it rubs, or if he ever even loads it with anything. That's a visual circle-jerk post, nothing more. He even said in another post that it barely clears. Now, I'm assuming that guy never went over anything more aggressive than a speed bump but if his 40's on a 10" lift barely clear that should obviously bring some doubt to mind if you're thinking about running an 8" lift on 38's, but actually using the truck.

So yes, your answer about wheels when everything I've actually seen is different is BS. If you don't have anything worthwhile to contribute to my post besides "search" or a half-assed answer, **** off.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Probably need to get your eyes checked there bud.

I even bold'ed the relevant parts. You tell people to search so much that I'm sure you're tired of hearing that word and wouldn't want to do it yourself.

You told me that wheel width shouldn't matter for fitting them under my truck. Which is directly contradictory to everything I've ever read on these or any forums, or experienced in real life. A wider wheel will tend to flatten out the tread pattern and make the shoulders a little bit wide, especially on something like a 15.5" wide tire going from a 10" to a 12" or a 14" wheel. I searched, thanks. You answered, in a way I believe to be incorrect, one third of my question. You're like seeing a doctor for back pain, a headache, and bad gas and he sends me home with rogaine and a link to webMD.

Also, thanks for that post about fitting 40's on a powerstroke that is a show queen, with no mention of how it rides, if it rubs, or if he ever even loads it with anything. That's a visual circle-jerk post, nothing more. He even said in another post that it barely clears. Now, I'm assuming that guy never went over anything more aggressive than a speed bump but if his 40's on a 10" lift barely clear that should obviously bring some doubt to mind if you're thinking about running an 8" lift on 38's, but actually using the truck.

So yes, your answer about wheels when everything I've actually seen is different is BS. If you don't have anything worthwhile to contribute to my post besides "search" or a half-assed answer, **** off.
Your an idiot, I have forgot more about wheels and tires then you will ever know. I answered what I knew, and suggested you search the rest. Good luck on this site with your attitude.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:02 PM

Want to fit 38x15.5x20's

Rogaine and a link to webmd. Lol. My buddy had 22x11 hostages with 40's on the fab 8" and he rubbed at full lock. Especially when leaving parking lots. Just that little dip to the asphalt. I think he cut about 2" of fender to fix. That was an 11 too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.