Spartan with no issues!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 08:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Spartan with no issues!!!

Hello i was wondering if anyone is running the spartan 165 or 200 without any issues???? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 03:06 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
No issues here
Old 02-21-2013, 10:38 AM

Running the 165 with no issues
Old 02-24-2013, 07:05 AM

What are some of the issues that come up with running the bigger tunes on these trucks?
Old 02-24-2013, 08:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I would also like to know the problems that anyone is having after using the spartan tunes.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:38 AM

Clicking noise when truck shifts from 1st to 2nd gear.... very annoying
Old 02-24-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan.9 View Post
What are some of the issues that come up with running the bigger tunes on these trucks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjosh6 View Post
I would also like to know the problems that anyone is having after using the spartan tunes.
I will start out with saying I have never ran Spartan tuning. But the opinion I wil share is fairly true to all 'big' tunes.

When you run the bigger tunes with an essentially stock truck (just basic exhaust, intake, and tune mods) you are really cranking the output of the engine up. You are increasing the backpressure between the exhaust valves and the turbo (the turbo will only spool so fast) which is why some guys running bigger tunes and more mods will install an EGR delete with a blow off valve so they can keep those drive essures from overwhelming anything. If you are on a stock trans, you run the risk of damaging that.

Having said that, the majoity of the "problems" associated with the bigger tunes comes down to the truck and driver themselves. How many miles were on the truck before the modding took place? How well has the truck been maintained since new? Are you trying to tow a 10k# trailer on a 310 Race tune? Do you run WOT all the time? Do you keep an eye on your EGTs and other important numbers? The list goes on.

I am not bashing ANY brand of tuning over another, these 'issues' come with any big tunes. I run Gearhead's hottest tune (hottest for a 6.4 without studs and an otherwise stock engine) on my 178K miles truck with no issues. But I pay attention to my gauges and I don't beat on the truck 24/7. Yes, I'll get on it here and there and enjoy the power but I'm not doing drag races and boosted launches from every red light either. When I tow, I step down to a lower power tow tune. Ultimately, there isn't much risk from running a big tune if you drive with sense and don;t expect your mostly stock truck to be a full blown sports car everyday.

One other thing, don;t get disheartened by reading all the horror stories you come across online. Think of how many people are having major issues vs how many people are runnig perfectly fine while tuned vs how mny of these trucks are out on the road. Not too many people go out of their way to jump on a forum site just to say "Hey, my truck is running perfect and I've never had ny issues" most people come to forums looking for help with a problem!
Old 02-24-2013, 09:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Eric thanks for the input. I agree that it all depends on how you treat the truck and maintain it. I had a 6.7 cummins for a few years and ran a smarty on there and had no issues but I don't think I ever romped on it that hard.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:58 AM

Hey guys i was talking about the tune itself issues... my main problem is the clicking i talk about earlier. thanks
Old 02-24-2013, 11:23 AM

Oh, I missed the post about the clicking. You posted at the same time I was typing up my reply. I don't know about the clicking... maybe contact Spartan?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.