Sensor simulators for dpf delete? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 08:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sensor simulators for dpf delete?

The sensors in the exhaust are simple electronic devices. They are fed some voltage and they have some resistance that varies as whatever they are sensing varies. I think the thermocouples in the pyros actually generate some miniscule voltage that is read by the computer to determine temperature. Does anyone know, then, why it might be hard to engineer a simple electronic circuit that replaces each sensor in the exhaust? I have a very elementary understanding of electronics. I know what resistors, capacitors, relays and diodes do. Beyond that I can't do much. I know how to use a multimeter and how to manipulate Ohm's law and simple stuff like that. It seems possible that with some time and a multi meter, that I could find a way to send the correct signals back to the computer to make it think the sensors are there when they are not.

I already have a delete with a minimaxx, so I don't need to do this. My motivation for looking into this is because I HATE HATE HATE the epa and their twisted version of reality in which deleted trucks are spewing thousands of tons of pollution that are supposedly killing thousands of people.

They can kill the sources of tuners, but they can't kill an idea. If we can work together as a team and this works, then it's also a way to delete without effecting the warranty. No computer modifications would need to be made and it would be totally reversible if we could come up with a way to plug these devices into the oem sensor plugs.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 04:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I think it's a great idea, I was looking for something like this before I tuned/deleted the truck. I wanted to delete the truck but had no desire for more power/stress on the truck, just wanted it to run clean without all of the emissions BS.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:44 AM

Subscribed
Old 01-31-2013, 07:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBikePilot View Post
The sensors in the exhaust are simple electronic devices. They are fed some voltage and they have some resistance that varies as whatever they are sensing varies. I think the thermocouples in the pyros actually generate some miniscule voltage that is read by the computer to determine temperature. Does anyone know, then, why it might be hard to engineer a simple electronic circuit that replaces each sensor in the exhaust? I have a very elementary understanding of electronics. I know what resistors, capacitors, relays and diodes do. Beyond that I can't do much. I know how to use a multimeter and how to manipulate Ohm's law and simple stuff like that. It seems possible that with some time and a multi meter, that I could find a way to send the correct signals back to the computer to make it think the sensors are there when they are not.

I already have a delete with a minimaxx, so I don't need to do this. My motivation for looking into this is because I HATE HATE HATE the epa and their twisted version of reality in which deleted trucks are spewing thousands of tons of pollution that are supposedly killing thousands of people.

They can kill the sources of tuners, but they can't kill an idea. If we can work together as a team and this works, then it's also a way to delete without effecting the warranty. No computer modifications would need to be made and it would be totally reversible if we could come up with a way to plug these devices into the oem sensor plugs.

Thoughts?
Its because of people like yourself that we have great ideas and why I don't think this tuner ban will last too long. This is a great idea and I will be following this thread for a while!

I'm with you on the EPA. It sure doesn't make sense to have an organization that doesn't have anyone to answer to or regulate them. I hope people smarter that me can get together and get this one figured out.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:26 AM

There is some hope to this. It's been done on the earlier 6.7 Dodge's. With resistors for ~$5. I assume there is also back pressure sensors in the DPF you will have to "trick" as well. But as long as they see the right voltage/resistance. I think it would throw a code if the truck tried to regen, but if it doesn't sense enough back pressure (regen's are activated by back pressure, right?) it shouldn't try to regen at all.

I get the idea that Ford already planned for this though.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj Krawler View Post
There is some hope to this. It's been done on the earlier 6.7 Dodge's. With resistors for ~$5. I assume there is also back pressure sensors in the DPF you will have to "trick" as well. But as long as they see the right voltage/resistance. I think it would throw a code if the truck tried to regen, but if it doesn't sense enough back pressure (regen's are activated by back pressure, right?) it shouldn't try to regen at all.

I get the idea that Ford already planned for this though.
I believe regens are triggered by soot load. There is a backpressure sensor though, maybe its a POKE-YOKE.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:44 PM
Don't you worry about it

I don't know about the 6.7's but on the 6.4's even if you trick the sensors the truck will go into regen after a certain mileage.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokinpower View Post
I don't know about the 6.7's but on the 6.4's even if you trick the sensors the truck will go into regen after a certain mileage.
Then we could have even more flames coming out of our exhausts then the 6.4's with the DPF problems! That could cause some issues...

If you have never seen the "flamethrower" 6.4's, hop on youtube and check it out.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:27 PM

Re: Sensor simulators for dpf delete?

Subscribed

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 01-31-2013, 07:43 PM
Premium Member

Thats similar to what we did with mustangs and cameros. Had to use O2 simulators when we took the cats of the exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.