Mini Maxx Issues...Is this normal? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 02:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mini Maxx Issues...Is this normal?

Ok I have a brand new 2012 F250 with 2,000 miles. After around 1,000 miles I installed the Mini Maxx with 5 inch MBRP exhaust. When I take off fast(on hot tune) it seems like the truck boggs for a second, takes off then boggs again before reaching higher speeds. When the truck was stock it would take off without the bog? After all of the reviews of the H&S, I would expect it to burn the tires more?

I called H&S and they had me reinstall the preset tune. This did not make a difference. All in all the exhaust sounds amazing but I'm not happy with the performance of the truck. My uncle has this same tuner on his 6.4 F250 and it runs like a beast without any bogging.

Is this normal or has anyone else experienced the same issues?
Also my MPGs have actually decreased by 1-2mpgs(and I drive like a grandma without towing) since the tuner was installed.

Any feed back will be great!
-Jason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 02:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty44 View Post
Ok I have a brand new 2012 F250 with 2,000 miles. After around 1,000 miles I installed the Mini Maxx with 5 inch MBRP exhaust. When I take off fast(on hot tune) it seems like the truck boggs for a second, takes off then boggs again before reaching higher speeds. When the truck was stock it would take off without the bog? After all of the reviews of the H&S, I would expect it to burn the tires more?

I called H&S and they had me reinstall the preset tune. This did not make a difference. All in all the exhaust sounds amazing but I'm not happy with the performance of the truck. My uncle has this same tuner on his 6.4 F250 and it runs like a beast without any bogging.

Is this normal or has anyone else experienced the same issues?
Also my MPGs have actually decreased by 1-2mpgs(and I drive like a grandma without towing) since the tuner was installed.

Any feed back will be great!
-Jason
Jason, I'm not an expert, but I know mine doesn't do that. Are you running an aftermarket intake? The reason I ask is because the generic tune can only please a few setups. I ran mine with a S&B intake with the lid on for about a week, I pulled the lid off and it made a significant difference. I was initially getting at least 2mpg lower until I pulled the lid off and now I'm averaging 18.7 and better throttle response. I kind of cracked the code on tuning with, believe it or not, a Harley VROD. When I say cracked the code, I mean I understood the variables in tuning. I used a PCIII tuner and you can modify several tables. So.... The smart guys could come up with a tune and share it. The great thing about that is that there were literally hundreds of custom tune files available on a forum and I could find one with the exact same brand and parts I had, download that tune and basically have a Dyno proven load. Yeah, altitude, temperature etc could also be factors, but for the most part, the tune was spot on. Hope this helps.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm running the stock intake. Also I haven't done the EGR delete kit yet(not sure if that makes a difference). The rest of the truck is stock as far as wheels, tires and no lift.

I've had power commanders on several of my race quads and screaming eagle race tuner on my Harley.

It just seems like everyone talks like its a night and day difference with this set up. Honestly if I could have done the exhaust and DPF delete without the turner I think I would be happier with the performance. The truck seems to lug a lot unless your're in the gas decent. On the lower settings the truck runs horrible. The stock setting doesnt run any where close to as well as the truck did before the upgrades.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:34 PM

Are you turning off your andvanced trac? I could be your traction control "bogging" your truck down in order to keep the tires from breaking loose. They did not have traction control on the 6.4 fords until 2010. Just a thought. I think all the the 6.7 have traction control. If you want to turn off advanced trac you have to hold the traction control button for 5 or ten seconds.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by insuranceman View Post
Are you turning off your andvanced trac? I could be your traction control "bogging" your truck down in order to keep the tires from breaking loose. They did not have traction control on the 6.4 fords until 2010. Just a thought. I think all the the 6.7 have traction control. If you want to turn off advanced trac you have to hold the traction control button for 5 or ten seconds.
Great thought! I just turned the traction control off and that took care of the bog! It all makes since now. I didn't know that the truck had that option. Is there a difference between advance trac and traction control?
Old 12-28-2012, 06:23 PM

Yes. Turning off traction control will only allow the tires to spin. Turning off advanced track will allow the truck to spin the tires and slide. IE doing a doughnut or fish tailing on a dirt road.

Last edited by insuranceman; 12-28-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you sir. Just did some research and found some good posts about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.