Remove DPF vs Full Exhaust - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 09:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Remove DPF vs Full Exhaust

I am new so I am sorry if this has been covered before. I did a search.

I am considering tuning my 6.7 with H&S. I know I'm in the minority, but I like the look of the stock exhaust tips.

Am I at any disadvantage at all by simply installing a DPF delete pipe and keeping the rest of the exhaust/muffler stock? I'd prefer to keep the exhaust tone as close to stock as possible.

What is the best option to keep the exhaust tone as stock sounding as possible. I've grown out of my loud, droning in the cab exhaust phase and want a quiet truck with all the power of a tuned truck.

Many thanks.

Rusty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 09:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I am in the same boat, and don't mind the factory tips. Although, I haven't put it on yet, I just got the delete pipe and will keep the factory exhaust. From what I understand, the only advantage to a straight pipe or aftermarket exhaust is sound. I actually like to hear myself think, so I'm fine with the stock system.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:15 AM

On my 6.4 I did just the delete pipe. For me it happened to be a PITA sliding the delete pipe onto the tail pipe. It kicked my ***.
On my 6.7 I went with the 5" straight MBRP.
Easy to install but much louder.
I am happy I did the full exhaust this time.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:24 AM

the delete pipe on a 6.7 is easy because it's flanged on the back side

and the factory resonator doesn't do a whole lot at all LOL

I like the factory tailpipe look.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:58 PM
Premium Member

I have the full delete exhaust, five inch, with aero turbine with a resonator built in, and I love it, not loud at all, my truck runs like a champ, milage went up too
Old 12-29-2012, 07:45 AM

i did the delete pipe and the cab noise isnt that bad at all imo its not that much louder in the cab going down the road outside the truck theres a diff in sound
Old 12-29-2012, 03:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter69 View Post
I have the full delete exhaust, five inch, with aero turbine with a resonator built in, and I love it, not loud at all, my truck runs like a champ, milage went up too
How do you like that aeroturbine? I've thought about getting one I'm running 5in straight right now id like to get rid of the v8 gasser sound. Any chance u could post a sound clip id like to hear it
Old 12-30-2012, 03:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbevard View Post
I am new so I am sorry if this has been covered before. I did a search.

I am considering tuning my 6.7 with H&S. I know I'm in the minority, but I like the look of the stock exhaust tips.

Am I at any disadvantage at all by simply installing a DPF delete pipe and keeping the rest of the exhaust/muffler stock? I'd prefer to keep the exhaust tone as close to stock as possible.

What is the best option to keep the exhaust tone as stock sounding as possible. I've grown out of my loud, droning in the cab exhaust phase and want a quiet truck with all the power of a tuned truck.

Many thanks.

Rusty
I have the 4" DPF delete pipe...Easy install and the sound is perfect for my liking...Not too loud, especially when towing...

The performance is great...
Old 04-30-2014, 06:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter69 View Post
I would second the sound clip request. I mainly want to get rid of that after sucking noise the waste gate makes. How much quieter are you talking? Like compared to a Donaldson muffler... I am afraid the Donaldson muffler will be to quiet. I don't care for an extremely loud exhaust but want it to sound good and get it at wide open throttle.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:11 PM

My previous truck was an '02 7.3 that the previous owner had put a 4" Magnaflow turbo-back exhaust on and now I have a '13 6.7 that I installed a 4" down-pipe back Flo-pro on that started without a muffler. The difference - the 6.7 makes more noise at low RPMs than the 7.3 did. Highway 26 in Portland has a decent length tunnel on a 3-4% uphill grade and when I stood on the 7.3 in the tunnel, it made quite a bit of noise. The 6.7 is quieter at WOT with a straight pipe than a slightly muffled 7.3. At idle, I noticed the exact opposite.

I added a 40" muffler because the straight pipe was too loud for me and I am pleased with the outcome. With the crew cab long box, I have room for another 40" muffler. Straight or muffled, there is less exhaust sound in the cab at 50mph than 10mph.

I encourage you to start straight and add a muffler or resonator as you see fit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.