My dilemma - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 01:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My dilemma

I currently have 54000 mi on my 2011. I use my truck everyday for work. Truck has been awesome except for 2 cel's. One for a urea pump at 11000 miles and one for a nox sensor replaced today. Both covered under warranty. Neither problem left me sitting or changed operation of the truck. I have been thinking of deleting the truck. Problem is im afraid of turbo failures. Other option is to trade the truck and get a new warranty when the current trucks expire. Looking for advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 03:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I feel your pain...... decisions decisions
Old 12-21-2012, 03:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

After 20+ years of owning vehicles with a warranty, I don't recall warranty work to add up to much. I had a hand full of brand new 0 mile vehicles and one I had over 100k miles that ran with zero warranty work. I contribute those stats to driving habit. If you want to tune and delete, do it. If you want to drive with a warranty, by an extended warranty or trade. I don't think there's a happy medium. I can offer this though (and its pure opinion) if you tune your truck and delete it, it's more likely to run more efficient and you don't have to ask more from the engine or hit the go pedal to get it to respond. So if you drive sensibly, it only makes sense that you will be straining the engine less to get the mileage, power, torq, etc. hense a longer life. My last truck was a gasser 5.3L Silverado, when I towed with it, I spent more time on the gas to tow at a normal highway speed. After getting a Blackbear tune, CAI and exhaust, I gained 2mpg while towing and stressed the engine less (atleast by RPM monitoring). Hope this helps, I'm sure there are opposite opinions.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I appreciate the opinions. I treat my truck very well. All scheduled maintaince wash it 2x a week etc etc. the cost of emmision equipment past warranty really scare me. The engine and chassis on these trucks are great. Emmisions equipment at 200k plus.....very questionable. Then there is the turbo issue...
Old 12-24-2012, 08:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The turbo issues is really the only thing that worries me
Old 12-24-2012, 08:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Has anyone actually checked for a price for a new turbo? Just curious what they run at the dealership. I mean your spending 1600+ on a tuner and delete kits, so just wondering if a turbo is that much more to replace to really make it a big deal to fuss so much about. I guess its justifiable if a new one is say 5K+, but if its under 2k then I don't see what the big deal is if you blow it and its not covered under warranty.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have a friend with a 2011 thats tuned. He hit a snow drift and killed the turbo. Warranty wouldn't cover it due to tuner and cost him just over 7k to replace it. But i take most of what he says with a grain of salt.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kendallcschm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Evil View Post
Has anyone actually checked for a price for a new turbo? Just curious what they run at the dealership. I mean your spending 1600+ on a tuner and delete kits, so just wondering if a turbo is that much more to replace to really make it a big deal to fuss so much about. I guess its justifiable if a new one is say 5K+, but if its under 2k then I don't see what the big deal is if you blow it and its not covered under warranty.
I'd have to say i agree.. broken turbo = excuse to wife for an upgrade!
Old 12-25-2012, 10:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallcschm View Post
I'd have to say i agree.. broken turbo = excuse to wife for an upgrade!
Not a bad idea...if there was a turbo on the market that you could upgrade to!! As of yet, there are no aftermarket turbos available for the 6.7. There is a compound kit available, but it still utilized the factory turbo.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Is there a rebuild kit available for the turbo? I'm sure there are some diesel tech shops that could or have rebuilt or upgraded the turbo internals. If not i'm sure the kits or rebuild kits are comming. I bet if you don't abuse and run a good quality synthetic oil you will be fine with the deletes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.