Do I need a tuner? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 07:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Do I need a tuner?

Right now I'm running an '04 6L and have an Edge Juice w/ attitude. I love the added power and the fact that it has guages. This week I'm upgrading to a 2013 F-350 and although it probably has much more stock power than my current 6L, I'm just wondering what the benefits are? Besides the added power that is. I pull a trailer a couple weekends a month so it's not always attached to something. My next question is what kind of tuner? I also keep reading about deletes, not real sure what that's about. And does a tuner void the warranty? Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 07:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yes a tuner will void your warranty, some dealerships will still do work on your truck if you have a tuner but if they have to plug into your ECU they will read that the truck has been reflashed and then the information is sent to Ford's database and your trucks warranty goes down the toilet. As for the "deletes" people are referring to the big canister in your exhaust system know has a DPF(diesel particulate filter). Removing this does void your warranty and can get you fined through federal law (very slim chances, depending on your area) but most people, such as myself, are still doing or are planning on doing it. If you do remove your DPF most people Ive talked to noticed about 2-3 mpg on the highway improvement about about 1 mpg in town improvement along with a lot more power when you step on the skinny peddle. Im not 100% sure on the whole being fined thing or the warranty with fords database but thats what Ive understood from reading other forms so someone can either correct me if Im wrong or exaggerate on it.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_270 View Post
Yes a tuner will void your warranty, some dealerships will still do work on your truck if you have a tuner but if they have to plug into your ECU they will read that the truck has been reflashed and then the information is sent to Ford's database and your trucks warranty goes down the toilet. As for the "deletes" people are referring to the big canister in your exhaust system know has a DPF(diesel particulate filter). Removing this does void your warranty and can get you fined through federal law (very slim chances, depending on your area) but most people, such as myself, are still doing or are planning on doing it. If you do remove your DPF most people Ive talked to noticed about 2-3 mpg on the highway improvement about about 1 mpg in town improvement along with a lot more power when you step on the skinny peddle. Im not 100% sure on the whole being fined thing or the warranty with fords database but thats what Ive understood from reading other forms so someone can either correct me if Im wrong or exaggerate on it.

Good answer... However, H&S or Spartan are the top competitors for tunes. With all the the problems that H&S has dealt with from the law, it makes it more difficult to get the Mini Maxx or any of their modules for the older vehicles. With the 13s just coming out and H&S's hands being out of the game, at the moment; I dont think there is much tuning for the 13s yet.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well that sucks.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOwen72 View Post
Right now I'm running an '04 6L and have an Edge Juice w/ attitude. I love the added power and the fact that it has guages. This week I'm upgrading to a 2013 F-350 and although it probably has much more stock power than my current 6L, I'm just wondering what the benefits are? Besides the added power that is. I pull a trailer a couple weekends a month so it's not always attached to something. My next question is what kind of tuner? I also keep reading about deletes, not real sure what that's about. And does a tuner void the warranty? Thanks for any advice.
You don't need a tuner. The 6.7 has 400 HP and 800 FT/LBS torque.

You can get a tuner if you want more power and better fuel ecconomy (not at the same time). But thats only if you don't need your warrenty.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:46 AM
Supporting Vendor

deleted here w/ H&S, lovin the extra 100hp, 350ftlbs and the extra 2-3mpg. Truck runs great and has no poor manors.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So when H&S does make a tuner for my pickup, it will do the DPF delete, give me more power, and increase mileage?
Old 12-19-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG Laing View Post
You don't need a tuner. The 6.7 has 400 HP and 800 FT/LBS torque.

You can get a tuner if you want more power and better fuel ecconomy (not at the same time). But thats only if you don't need your warrenty.
I agree with B.L.

This engine is not a 6.4L where the fuel mileage is in the gutter, and it is not a 6.4L where tremendous changes in power and fuel economy are available with a simple tuner.

I would leave it bone stock and keep your warranty intact because the gains will be minimal to say the least.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George C View Post
I agree with B.L.

This engine is not a 6.4L where the fuel mileage is in the gutter, and it is not a 6.4L where tremendous changes in power and fuel economy are available with a simple tuner.

I would leave it bone stock and keep your warranty intact because the gains will be minimal to say the least.
Not arguing that the 6.7 isn't better than the 6.4 stock for stock but to say the gains will be minimal isn't looking at the whole picture.
Fuel mileage gains might be a little less (which is even arguable) but the power difference compared to stock is still a big step up and IMO it is so much better for the engine long term.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.