H&S Shifting Issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-03-2012, 10:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 184
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
H&S Shifting Issue

I've had H&S delete tuning on my truck of about a month and a half. It's set on no power. Under light throttle acceleration the truck does fine. Under very hard throttle acceleration it is fine as well. Under medium throttle acceleration the transmission acts all retarded - like it kind of defuels/fuels/defuels. Anyone else experience this and have a suggestion for a fix?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 10-03-2012, 11:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 137
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Have you run the trans relearn procedure as outlined by H&S? Give that a try and see if it helps. Nice Lookin truck BTW!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 10-03-2012, 12:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 184
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thanks, Dr. Evil. I haven't tried that yet. I thought you didn't have to do the relearn as the transmission would figure our your driving patterns after a while. I don't know why they just don't put a feature on their programmers that tells the transmission to do this. I don't have anywhere around there that I can get up to 80mph without having tons of troopers around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 10-03-2012, 01:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 385
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stgear View Post
Thanks, Dr. Evil. I haven't tried that yet. I thought you didn't have to do the relearn as the transmission would figure our your driving patterns after a while. I don't know why they just don't put a feature on their programmers that tells the transmission to do this. I don't have anywhere around there that I can get up to 80mph without having tons of troopers around.
The TCM will learn on its own over time. The relearn procedure just gets a good baseline going for the TCM adaptive tables. But it is constantly in a "learning" state and will adapt as long as you are driving it.

Please explain more what you feel about the shifts. Are they too slow? Maybe a little better description and we could help you a little. Do you have a suspension lift on your truck, or is it stock? F-250 or F350?

Thanks!

Edit, just noticed your signature. The 5" blocks will for sure cause some inconsistent shifting if you don't have any sort of ladder bar on it. Also, the 6.7L ECM is very sensitive to air flow metering and trying to make fuel delivery match it. This is for emissions purposes, and even deleted you can still notice it. Once a shift happens, RPM and airflow are greatly reduced, so fueling tries to match it. I have also notice that the turbo can cause some "dead" spots in the shifting. Almost like the variable geometry is having a hard time building boost, so it restricts too much and causes a bit of a flat spot. If you have ever seen how small the factory turbo is, you might believe it can act a little weird. We have a truck in the shop with an aftermarket single and it acts much better as far as shifting and being consistent. Hope that helps!

Last edited by H&S Tech; 10-03-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 10-03-2012, 03:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Carlyle IL
Posts: 201
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
more details on the aftermarket single?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 10-03-2012, 04:21 PM
First 6.7 PS Destroyer

 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Somerset, Ky
Posts: 1,720
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
When can i buy one??? #3 on mine is going to blow any day now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 10-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 558
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
That's sounds promising!!


Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 10-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kings River Nevada
Posts: 1,081
Thanks: 35
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 YNOT View Post
more details on the aftermarket single?
X2 ^^^^ if my turbo goes. I want an alternative!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 10-04-2012, 05:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 184
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by H&S Tech View Post
The TCM will learn on its own over time. The relearn procedure just gets a good baseline going for the TCM adaptive tables. But it is constantly in a "learning" state and will adapt as long as you are driving it.

Please explain more what you feel about the shifts. Are they too slow? Maybe a little better description and we could help you a little. Do you have a suspension lift on your truck, or is it stock? F-250 or F350?

Thanks!

Edit, just noticed your signature. The 5" blocks will for sure cause some inconsistent shifting if you don't have any sort of ladder bar on it. Also, the 6.7L ECM is very sensitive to air flow metering and trying to make fuel delivery match it. This is for emissions purposes, and even deleted you can still notice it. Once a shift happens, RPM and airflow are greatly reduced, so fueling tries to match it. I have also notice that the turbo can cause some "dead" spots in the shifting. Almost like the variable geometry is having a hard time building boost, so it restricts too much and causes a bit of a flat spot. If you have ever seen how small the factory turbo is, you might believe it can act a little weird. We have a truck in the shop with an aftermarket single and it acts much better as far as shifting and being consistent. Hope that helps!
Thanks for your help. The dead/flat spot details my issue perfectly. It's going mostly on the shift from 3rd gear to 4th gear. That's the worst.

Couple of questions -
would a ladder bar help? Would removing the block and putting the factory block back help? Which would be better?

And, am I going to do any damage to my tranny just running the 5" block and leaving the truck as is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 10-04-2012, 06:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 385
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stgear View Post
Thanks for your help. The dead/flat spot details my issue perfectly. It's going mostly on the shift from 3rd gear to 4th gear. That's the worst.

Couple of questions -
would a ladder bar help? Would removing the block and putting the factory block back help? Which would be better?

And, am I going to do any damage to my tranny just running the 5" block and leaving the truck as is?
From the sounds of it, you are fighting more of a fueling issue than an axle wrap one. I notice the 1-2 shift more than the 3-4 on my truck. Especially when cold, the programming likes to extend the shift so high that it almost lurches into the next gear. It is something we are going to try and fine tune over time and see if we can improve what Ford is doing.

It is always a good idea to have some ladder bars when you have bigger suspension blocks. But in your case, I don't know that it will help the annoyances you are explaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors