Truck Completely Shutting Off With Superchips Programmer - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 07:05 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck Completely Shutting Off With Superchips Programmer

I have a 2012 F-250 6.7. I have the basic superchips programmer set at performance. I set it at 2000 miles and have 5000 miles on the truck now. There have been two different times that I have been cruising down the interstate and stomped the gas. My truck will accelerate and then all of a sudden feels like it downshifts real hard and my truck shuts off. I have had to pull off the side of the interstate, turn my key off, and then start my truck back up. It always cranks up fine then. I have had no other issues with the truck at this point. I am not a big fan of the superchips. I ultimately want to buy an H&S MM and do the deletes. I personally asked my service manager about doing it thinking he would overlook the warantee issue as much as possible. We have about 40 fleet trucks that we service there on a regular basis. He told me there is no way to overlook it anymore because of how strict Ford has become when it comes to warantee work. Anyways, is the problem I am having superchips related? I figured I could get away with just running a tuner and setting it back to stock before ever taking it in. If they happen to notice I have been running a tuner, I have heard from others that this dealership will normally just tell you not to run it anymore the first time they notice it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 08:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Its hard to really know, but I would think its tuner related. I would remove it before you do any serious damage to the motor. Your probably one of the very few on the forum that went with superchips. Most run H&S / Spartan and 99% of these owners are very happy with their purchase. Just curious, why did you choose superchips over H&S/Spartan?
Old 10-03-2012, 09:57 AM

thats a good question. i am now asking myself the same thing. i have ran superchips on 2 other diesels in the past and not had any issues. my brother runs a h&s mm on his duramax runnin 40s with all the deletes and has not had a bit of trouble out of it in 35k miles. i will most likely be buying the h&s. i wonder if the local diesel shop where i purchased the tuner would let me return it if i told them the problems i am having. i also do not like the way the truck shifts at all with the tuner. I have learned how to drive it without it doing anything stupid. i have turned it back to stock several times and witnessed no problems with the truck shutting down or tranny acting funny.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:58 AM

anyone else running a superchips or similar had this same issue?
Old 10-03-2012, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Just a question for you Ford#2oil - Have you contacted Superchips to see if they've heard of it and possibly have a solution?

OTOH, If you plan on going with the MM, might not be worth the time.

Just a thought.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:42 PM
First 6.7 PS Destroyer

Sounds like torque trunction to me. A real tuner won't do that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using AutoGuide.com App
Old 10-07-2012, 09:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yea those things are junk. I've had friends that have had issues with those as well. I'd use it to hammer some nails or just throw it on the burn pile. It's more useful that way. Never skimp on tuners. Do your research and find out what is the most reputable safe tuner for you truck brand and go with that. If you don't spend the big buck for a good one don't tune it at all. Just my .02 from my lessons learned the hard way.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have use Superchips in my last three trucks with no problem. I have the new programer for my 2011 F250 but I have not use it yet. I alway wait for a few updates first to make sure the bugs are gone. Superchips and Edge are both owned by PowerTeq a MSD company That said when you buy a Superchips programer your getting the Edge / Superchips program. The numbers for both are the same. So if the program is causing problems its doing it for the Edge as well and there probably working on it. But I would call and let them know whats going on.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:16 AM
Diesel Addict

Send a message via MSN to CanuckF350
Sounds a lot like the problems I had with the Bully Dog GT I had on mine. Would shut down when it was doing a regen. Was totally tuner related! Get your tuner off of it and run it to see. Like others I fully agree with the Superchips tuner being the root of your problem.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yea I don't doubt you had no problem with other vehicles. They are all different and respond different to some tuners. That being said Edge and Superchips might be the same program but they are still junk. On this truck all my reading is pointing to H&S or spartan. I'd look them up. And do some reading. I have had 2 friends that used the Superchips tuner have problems. They were both LBZ Duramax trucks so they don't relate directly to the 6.7 but just my experience with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.