Diesel Performance shop BSing Me? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 07:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Diesel Performance shop BSing Me?

Dear Powerstroke Gods,
Like most newbies to this whole new world of diesel power I have much of the same questions as some of the others. I bought a 2011 F250 4X4 with 20K miles, leveling kit, titan 50 gal tank, nitto 20's, huge loud stereo, train horn (which I love) and probably some other stuff I have no idea is installed.

I took the truck to my local diesel performance shop that I see advertised on the kids trucks running around my area. The sales guy is trying to sell me a MBRP exhaust, S&B Filters, and a Spartan Tuner. First words out of the guys mouth were "Whatever you do, do not do what the owners manual say to do" (Strike one with me), then he tells me "You have to change the oil every 3k miles and the 6.7 takes a special oil that only comes in quarts" (Strike two) and one the mechanics truck I see running around town is constantly doing burn outs leaving a gigantic black cloud of smoke (strike three). I asked about reliability and he also said "if anything happens, well just put in back to stock, load it on a flatbed and take it to Ford" (strike 4).

Needless to say I am scared to death to take something this expensive and let some retard talk me into something that I know is wrong. reading the owners manual it clearly states that they can find out if the truck has had a tuner, and I am sure they will notice the difference in the exhaust. He gave me another song a dance about sensors, removing the need for DEF and something to do with the turbo. A lot of people take their vehicles to these guys, I am just wondering if I found a knuckle head or if his statements had some validity. If I do these mods will the truck still be quiet (other than my radio blasting the latest Jason Aldean record) and will it start blowing out that thick black smoke?

Thanks,
Drew

Last edited by skyfuzz; 10-01-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you have a nice ride. As far as what you have been told. I don't follow the owners manual on service either. Oil every 5000 and filters at 10000. The exhaust he was trying to sell you is what i have and i love it. 5 inch MBRP. I would go with H&S over Spartan, but that is a preference thing. Yes it will blow sine black smoke, but you can adjust that based on you driving style i.e. heavy foot. Yes if you truly want to get the performance out of your truck you have to remove the DPF and the sensors. If you need service work done, put the truck back to stock, including the exhaust and take it to the dealer. If you bring it in with a hole in the block they will dig and look for evidence of a tuner. Minor repair they probably won't waste their time. Techs get paid by the job hour, not for paying detective.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App
Old 10-02-2012, 04:53 AM
First 6.7 PS Destroyer

Well put.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using AutoGuide.com App
Old 10-02-2012, 05:23 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfuzz View Post
Dear Powerstroke Gods,
Like most newbies to this whole new world of diesel power I have much of the same questions as some of the others. I bought a 2011 F250 4X4 with 20K miles, leveling kit, titan 50 gal tank, nitto 20's, huge loud stereo, train horn (which I love) and probably some other stuff I have no idea is installed.

I took the truck to my local diesel performance shop that I see advertised on the kids trucks running around my area. The sales guy is trying to sell me a MBRP exhaust, S&B Filters, and a Spartan Tuner. First words out of the guys mouth were "Whatever you do, do not do what the owners manual say to do" (Strike one with me), then he tells me "You have to change the oil every 3k miles and the 6.7 takes a special oil that only comes in quarts" (Strike two) and one the mechanics truck I see running around town is constantly doing burn outs leaving a gigantic black cloud of smoke (strike three). I asked about reliability and he also said "if anything happens, well just put in back to stock, load it on a flatbed and take it to Ford" (strike 4).

Needless to say I am scared to death to take something this expensive and let some retard talk me into something that I know is wrong. reading the owners manual it clearly states that they can find out if the truck has had a tuner, and I am sure they will notice the difference in the exhaust. He gave me another song a dance about sensors, removing the need for DEF and something to do with the turbo. A lot of people take their vehicles to these guys, I am just wondering if I found a knuckle head or if his statements had some validity. If I do these mods will the truck still be quiet (other than my radio blasting the latest Jason Aldean record) and will it start blowing out that thick black smoke?

Thanks,
Drew
Welcome to the org bud

Have you searched around to see if there are any shops in your area that are members here? If that's not an option, I'd order everything from a supporting vendor and install it yourself.

If you install it yourself you know what's involved in reinstalling your stock stuff, so if bringing the truck back to your shop isn't an option you can install it on the road.

Read in the 6.7 performance section about spartan and h&s tuners. Form your own opinion of the tuners. Some ppl just bash because they weren't logical in thier expectation of what a tuner can do.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks fellas, my problem is when it comes to working on things I am a complete moron. I can't nail two boards together or drill a straight hole. I know my limitations and the last person that needs to be installing his own equipment is me. That's one of my issues, if I need to take it to Ford to have the transfer case looked at or a diff service, the last thing I want to be doing is having the exhaust replaced every month.

I am getting about 15mpg with the stock set up with Nitto's on 20's. I am reading anywhere from 18-22 mpgs with the tuner and exhaust. Is this with stock wheels and tires or with aftermarket blinged out grapplers? My truck has a 3.55 rear end, I would think this would only help also after a reprogram. Would I be correct?
Old 10-02-2012, 07:18 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Who is the shop? If you dont want to air it here feel free to message me.

MBRP is a great exhaust, Hes right about the book although I would go 5k
Old 10-03-2012, 11:43 AM

Hey Skyfuzz,

Did you get that truck about 3 weeks ago? I was over your way about then on a Saturday. Headed back home west bound on I-10 I think you pulled up right next to me at Chaffe and we both got off there, I was in the white 350 longbed C/C and you layed on that train horn just as we went under the overpass..... Scared the hell out of my wife! That is a good looking truck!
Old 10-04-2012, 04:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have had the truck for about four months. I work in the area you are talking about, but I don't think that was me. I try to keep the train horn quiet as to not catch a .45 round through the back window when the horn turn some dudes wife's panties brown. That being said I absolutely do recommend getting one, nothing like rolling up on some dude in his Prius, texting, and doing his hair then BAM! locomotive horn right in the drivers window. For some reason it just makes me giggle (I have seen other people do it, I would never actually do that myself........nope......not me). Whatever the previous owner paid for the horn was well worth his hard earned cash.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Tuner: H&S Mini Maxx or Spartan Phalanx
Exhaust: MBRP is the way to go for the 6.7L
Intake: S&B or AFE
EGR: H&S basic or full delete

Installation is actually very straight forward, unbolt the old, bolt in the new. There are a lot of first time wrenchers that easily handle the job. Feel free to give us a call if you have any questions or if youd like a quote, we work on these trucks almost daily.

Its kind of scary to think about all the "diesel performance" shops that pop up and the info they are telling people...
Old 10-05-2012, 07:33 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Nate I kinda want to see No Limits new intake.

Damn Mikeys making me want a 6.4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.