6.7 - Tuner Delete / Dealer Warranty - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 08-17-2012, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.7 - Tuner Delete / Dealer Warranty

I am considering a new 2013 super duty and would want an EGR/DPF delete and h&s tuner. Of all the posts I have seen on here with turbo and trans issues it doesn't appear any of those issues are related to trucks with mods. Has anyone experienced motor or trans issues after the delete / tuner setup and if so what was your experience with the dealer regarding warranty? Thanks.
Pocono is offline  
post #2 of 10 Old 08-17-2012, 03:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 615
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The trans is retuned by the tuner (if you choose to do so.) If you have any trans issues, get them solved before tuning.

If you tune, there's a very good chance you have eliminated your warranty with it.

Yes, turbos are failing from overspeed due to the tuners. Turbos also fail stock. It's kind of a crap shoot.

If you tune/delete, keep all your stock parts and plan to switch it back before taking it to the dealer.

I wanted to stay emission/warranty 'legal' so I chased DPF on solutions. H&S works well, but I wanted more so I tried the KEM tunes and had so many problems with them I had to take them back out.
Now I'm on the cusp of deciding to do a full delete.

2012 F350, 6.7L Diesel, 4x4, SRW, Crew Cab, Short Box, Loaded, Ingot Silver
Detroit Truetrac, Icon leveling springs, steering damper mounts, King reservoir shocks and steering damper, Ultra Predator 22x10 and Nitto Terra 325/50R22 (35"s), H&S Minimaxx & Gearhead, aFe 5" SS w/ muffler, Leer XL, LineX, Titan 50gal, Airlift bags and wireless.
TrickTruck is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 08-17-2012, 04:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
roadkingfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickTruck View Post
The trans is retuned by the tuner (if you choose to do so.) If you have any trans issues, get them solved before tuning.

If you tune, there's a very good chance you have eliminated your warranty with it.

Yes, turbos are failing from overspeed due to the tuners. Turbos also fail stock. It's kind of a crap shoot.

If you tune/delete, keep all your stock parts and plan to switch it back before taking it to the dealer.

I wanted to stay emission/warranty 'legal' so I chased DPF on solutions. H&S works well, but I wanted more so I tried the KEM tunes and had so many problems with them I had to take them back out.
Now I'm on the cusp of deciding to do a full delete.
What don't you like about being tuned, with all the emissions crap on? Understand reliability would probably be better with EGR gone, and that you might have a little more power, but what problems specifically are you having (without KEM)?

Thanks
roadkingfl is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 08-18-2012, 03:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 615
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
w/o KEM, no problems.

It'd be nice to get better mpg. W H&S it gets 17 on the highway and 13-14 around town if I'm being moderate w/ throttle.

I did have to take the intake manifold off to adjust the wastegate. W/ just 8500 miles the soot buildup was surprising. Really my only concern.

Is nice not blowing clouds of black smoke though. Even the exhaust tip stays clean now.

If the KEM tunes worked and provided the power and mpg advertised than this would be the best of both worlds. Unfortunately at this time has some pretty severe driveability issues on the KEM tunes and gets no where near the advertised HP and MPG.
It would be great if KEM revised the tunes so the trans played nice, the turbo played nice, the tune was compatible with cruise control, it really made 500 hp and got 20+mpg.

2012 F350, 6.7L Diesel, 4x4, SRW, Crew Cab, Short Box, Loaded, Ingot Silver
Detroit Truetrac, Icon leveling springs, steering damper mounts, King reservoir shocks and steering damper, Ultra Predator 22x10 and Nitto Terra 325/50R22 (35"s), H&S Minimaxx & Gearhead, aFe 5" SS w/ muffler, Leer XL, LineX, Titan 50gal, Airlift bags and wireless.
TrickTruck is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 08-18-2012, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkingfl View Post
What don't you like about being tuned, with all the emissions crap on? Understand reliability would probably be better with EGR gone, and that you might have a little more power, but what problems specifically are you having (without KEM)?

Thanks

It doesn't sound like he doesn't want to be deleted and tuned it sounds like he wants to keep his warranty and be street legal.

I am not sure why I hear guys returning the truck to stock when they go back to the dealer. I can understand if they are going in for an emissions test but outside of that I thought the the dealer can always tell if a tuner had been installed and then reset to stock.

Some Ford dealers around here tell me the entire powertrain warranty is void if you delete and tune others tell me it just all depends on which part fails and if they can relate that failure to your mods, which isn't difficult to claim if they wanted to. When I first bought my Cummins the dealer tech showed me a notice they received from the factory with a list of mods to look for on the truck when they were dealing with motor warranty issues and they even listed an aftermarket air filter as a reason to deny the warranty. Fortunately since I put an H&S on my Cummins and TBE I haven't been to the dealer once (I fix everything else that breaks on the truck myself.) I would expect the same trouble free mileage out of the Ford 6.7 that's has lightened up.
Pocono is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 08-19-2012, 03:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
roadkingfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
It doesn't sound like he doesn't want to be deleted and tuned it sounds like he wants to keep his warranty and be street legal.

I am not sure why I hear guys returning the truck to stock when they go back to the dealer. I can understand if they are going in for an emissions test but outside of that I thought the the dealer can always tell if a tuner had been installed and then reset to stock.

Some Ford dealers around here tell me the entire powertrain warranty is void if you delete and tune others tell me it just all depends on which part fails and if they can relate that failure to your mods, which isn't difficult to claim if they wanted to. When I first bought my Cummins the dealer tech showed me a notice they received from the factory with a list of mods to look for on the truck when they were dealing with motor warranty issues and they even listed an aftermarket air filter as a reason to deny the warranty. Fortunately since I put an H&S on my Cummins and TBE I haven't been to the dealer once (I fix everything else that breaks on the truck myself.) I would expect the same trouble free mileage out of the Ford 6.7 that's has lightened up.
Yeah, I guess what I'm wondering is, Why did he consider KEM? What part of the H&S DPF ON tune was he not satisfied with? And my guess is, he seems to be looking for better fuel mileage.
roadkingfl is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 08-22-2012, 06:24 PM
Member

 
Snakedriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Morgantown
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trick,

Why did you have to adjust your wastegate?

Leo

Simplificate the design and add lightness-Kelly Johnson on the SR-71
Snakedriver is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 08-22-2012, 06:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 615
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Because that's what Mike from KEM insisted I do to workaround the problems with their tunes - boost oscillating like crazy.

I'll be putting it back to stock shortly.

2012 F350, 6.7L Diesel, 4x4, SRW, Crew Cab, Short Box, Loaded, Ingot Silver
Detroit Truetrac, Icon leveling springs, steering damper mounts, King reservoir shocks and steering damper, Ultra Predator 22x10 and Nitto Terra 325/50R22 (35"s), H&S Minimaxx & Gearhead, aFe 5" SS w/ muffler, Leer XL, LineX, Titan 50gal, Airlift bags and wireless.
TrickTruck is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 08-22-2012, 06:36 PM
Member

 
Snakedriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Morgantown
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oh OK, I was wondering if it was to limit max boost for longevity.

Leo

Simplificate the design and add lightness-Kelly Johnson on the SR-71
Snakedriver is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 08-23-2012, 04:18 AM
First 6.7 PS Destroyer

 
mysticblu999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Somerset, Ky
Posts: 1,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It adjusts how the boost comes on

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using AutoGuide.com App

2011 F250 6.7 4x4 CC Lariat

6" 4-link BDS
22" Fuel Hostage
37" Toyo MT
H&S BLACK MAXX,
5" MBRP straight pipe
AMP Steps
Truck pics ---->http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-7...o-37-m-ts.html
mysticblu999 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome