6.7 - Tuner Delete / Dealer Warranty - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 12:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.7 - Tuner Delete / Dealer Warranty

I am considering a new 2013 super duty and would want an EGR/DPF delete and h&s tuner. Of all the posts I have seen on here with turbo and trans issues it doesn't appear any of those issues are related to trucks with mods. Has anyone experienced motor or trans issues after the delete / tuner setup and if so what was your experience with the dealer regarding warranty? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2012, 03:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The trans is retuned by the tuner (if you choose to do so.) If you have any trans issues, get them solved before tuning.

If you tune, there's a very good chance you have eliminated your warranty with it.

Yes, turbos are failing from overspeed due to the tuners. Turbos also fail stock. It's kind of a crap shoot.

If you tune/delete, keep all your stock parts and plan to switch it back before taking it to the dealer.

I wanted to stay emission/warranty 'legal' so I chased DPF on solutions. H&S works well, but I wanted more so I tried the KEM tunes and had so many problems with them I had to take them back out.
Now I'm on the cusp of deciding to do a full delete.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickTruck View Post
The trans is retuned by the tuner (if you choose to do so.) If you have any trans issues, get them solved before tuning.

If you tune, there's a very good chance you have eliminated your warranty with it.

Yes, turbos are failing from overspeed due to the tuners. Turbos also fail stock. It's kind of a crap shoot.

If you tune/delete, keep all your stock parts and plan to switch it back before taking it to the dealer.

I wanted to stay emission/warranty 'legal' so I chased DPF on solutions. H&S works well, but I wanted more so I tried the KEM tunes and had so many problems with them I had to take them back out.
Now I'm on the cusp of deciding to do a full delete.
What don't you like about being tuned, with all the emissions crap on? Understand reliability would probably be better with EGR gone, and that you might have a little more power, but what problems specifically are you having (without KEM)?

Thanks
Old 08-18-2012, 03:09 AM

w/o KEM, no problems.

It'd be nice to get better mpg. W H&S it gets 17 on the highway and 13-14 around town if I'm being moderate w/ throttle.

I did have to take the intake manifold off to adjust the wastegate. W/ just 8500 miles the soot buildup was surprising. Really my only concern.

Is nice not blowing clouds of black smoke though. Even the exhaust tip stays clean now.

If the KEM tunes worked and provided the power and mpg advertised than this would be the best of both worlds. Unfortunately at this time has some pretty severe driveability issues on the KEM tunes and gets no where near the advertised HP and MPG.
It would be great if KEM revised the tunes so the trans played nice, the turbo played nice, the tune was compatible with cruise control, it really made 500 hp and got 20+mpg.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkingfl View Post
What don't you like about being tuned, with all the emissions crap on? Understand reliability would probably be better with EGR gone, and that you might have a little more power, but what problems specifically are you having (without KEM)?

Thanks

It doesn't sound like he doesn't want to be deleted and tuned it sounds like he wants to keep his warranty and be street legal.

I am not sure why I hear guys returning the truck to stock when they go back to the dealer. I can understand if they are going in for an emissions test but outside of that I thought the the dealer can always tell if a tuner had been installed and then reset to stock.

Some Ford dealers around here tell me the entire powertrain warranty is void if you delete and tune others tell me it just all depends on which part fails and if they can relate that failure to your mods, which isn't difficult to claim if they wanted to. When I first bought my Cummins the dealer tech showed me a notice they received from the factory with a list of mods to look for on the truck when they were dealing with motor warranty issues and they even listed an aftermarket air filter as a reason to deny the warranty. Fortunately since I put an H&S on my Cummins and TBE I haven't been to the dealer once (I fix everything else that breaks on the truck myself.) I would expect the same trouble free mileage out of the Ford 6.7 that's has lightened up.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
It doesn't sound like he doesn't want to be deleted and tuned it sounds like he wants to keep his warranty and be street legal.

I am not sure why I hear guys returning the truck to stock when they go back to the dealer. I can understand if they are going in for an emissions test but outside of that I thought the the dealer can always tell if a tuner had been installed and then reset to stock.

Some Ford dealers around here tell me the entire powertrain warranty is void if you delete and tune others tell me it just all depends on which part fails and if they can relate that failure to your mods, which isn't difficult to claim if they wanted to. When I first bought my Cummins the dealer tech showed me a notice they received from the factory with a list of mods to look for on the truck when they were dealing with motor warranty issues and they even listed an aftermarket air filter as a reason to deny the warranty. Fortunately since I put an H&S on my Cummins and TBE I haven't been to the dealer once (I fix everything else that breaks on the truck myself.) I would expect the same trouble free mileage out of the Ford 6.7 that's has lightened up.
Yeah, I guess what I'm wondering is, Why did he consider KEM? What part of the H&S DPF ON tune was he not satisfied with? And my guess is, he seems to be looking for better fuel mileage.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:24 PM

Trick,

Why did you have to adjust your wastegate?

Leo
Old 08-22-2012, 06:30 PM

Because that's what Mike from KEM insisted I do to workaround the problems with their tunes - boost oscillating like crazy.

I'll be putting it back to stock shortly.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:36 PM

Oh OK, I was wondering if it was to limit max boost for longevity.

Leo
Old 08-23-2012, 04:18 AM
First 6.7 PS Destroyer

It adjusts how the boost comes on

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.