Ordering my tuner/dpf delete finally! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 07:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ordering my tuner/dpf delete finally!

Going to place my order tomorrow. I think I will be using performance truck products as I see nothing but good reviews about Nate.

I will be dynoing the truck this week so that I have a baseline.

Funny thing is, after months of reading, I STILL can't decide between Spartan and H&S. Before buying my truck, I was dead set on Spartan due to their rep with the 6.4's. After coming on here, and reading the shift issues, lack of egt readings, and lack of customer support, I was set on H&S. HOWEVER I see that Spartan has released an update, but not many people are posting their feedback after updating. I do like that Spartan makes more power, and it seems they have better throttle response and fuel mileage.

I also hear good things about the KEM tunes w/ H&S MiniMax. However, I am deleting, so I'm not sure if KEM is worth it (I know it is for DPF ON)

I guess I'll just talk to Nate tomorrow, and take his word for it.

Annnyways. I'll post my baseline results, and let you guys know what I end up ordering.

It's about time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2012, 03:56 AM

You can now monitor EGT temps with Spartan. There is a thread going on here about it
Old 08-01-2012, 05:14 AM

I like the H&S myself, but anyway you go you will like the results.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

We have had nothing but excellent results with the Mini Maxx on the 6.7L. Its the route we suggest going most.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I blew a turbo / motor while running H&S, however after talking to the tech who fixed it regarding what actually happened to the turbo, it was a hardware issue from the factory and not related to the tune. Its going back on after 1k or so miles to make sure there aren't any issues with the new motor. Nate is great to deal with, glad your going through him.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:55 AM

All ordered. Went with H&S for a couple reasons. Not enough feedback yet on the new update from Spartan for one. The other reason is all the negative review about Spartan customer support. Obviously I can't say it's bad all the time, as I'm sure it's not, but I hear to often problems with Spartan and nothing bad about H&S.

Ordered the full package from Performance Truck Products w/ Nate. Got the H&S MiniMax, 4" MBRP SS DPF delete pipe, H&S EGR block off kit, and S&B air intake. I already have the banks DPF back which is 4" which is why I went with the 4" DPF delete pipe.

Can't wait to install it. Now I just need to go get a baseline done.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:26 PM

Having a hell of a time trying to find someone who can dyno my truck.. No one near by with a Dynapack has the right adapters. The Dynojets will only give me HP, no TQ or RPM. Working on locating a Mustang Dyno (they read low though)

Blah
Old 08-01-2012, 02:03 PM

I take it back.. The place with the DynoJet that said they could at least give me a HP reading, can't fit my truck on the dyno (too long) lol I give up I think. Just plug it in and have fun.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just dyno'ed my truck on a Mustang dyno last week to get a base line. I've never heard Mustangs read low. I too am doing a few mods to my truck. I know some of the truck differences will make the numbers different, but here's what I have and what my numbers were. Maybe it can give you a ball park idea at least.

2008 F-350 CC 8' bed, 6.4, 6-speed manual, 3.73 rear end, stock tires, 66,000 miles

Completely stock:
329.4 hp @ 2980 rpm
591.8 lb-ft @ 2815 rpm
These numbers are with weather correction, so weather conditions are not an issue.

I only had them run it up to 3000 rpm because I'm nervous about rpm's on these diesels and didn't want to risk blowing anything. The power curve was still increasing at 3000 so it might have put out a little more if I would have pushed it a little further. The torque curve leveled off at about 2300 or so. I actually did a second pull and had them run it to 3300 but the dyno messed up right at the end so the numbers weren't accurate. However, the power curve did level off right about 3000 anyway so I don't think I lost much by having them stop at 3000.

Again, this was all 100% completely stock. I have since put on an S&B intake, 4" MBRP turbo-back exhaust with the cool duals exit, and a Spartan programmer. I was planning on going back to the dyno this afternoon but I am having some issues with my clutch holding all the new-found power. I have tried every tune starting from the top and I am all the way down on the 150hp tune now. It's still slipping if I really get on it. When I drive with some sense it's not an issue, but I know on the dyno it gets pushed wide open. So, I'm going to wait to get a new clutch before I go back to the dyno for the after-mod numbers. Might take a little while to save up the $1800 for a new Southbend. In the mean time I'll just drive like I still got a little sense. It's so hard not to play though!!

Hope this helps to give you an idea of where you're starting. Hope you enjoy all you're new toys! I don't know much about the H&S but I've heard a lot of good things. Just to let you know, I've had excellent customer service and support from Spartan. I have ZERO complaints about them so far and am happy with my decision to go with them. I'm sure you'll have great experience with your H&S as well. HAVE FUN!!
Old 08-01-2012, 04:08 PM

Thanks for the feedback and info. Much appreciated. I can't even find a mustang dyno around here to fit my truck on it (or in their space)

From my experience Mustang dynos can read as much as 10% lower then a Dynojet. I prefer dynapack but no luck with the 8 lug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.