F450 and F550 owners - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 08:39 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
F450 and F550 owners

so im wondering how many of you have these trucks with the different turbo and tuning..... We have a '11 f550 flatbed that gets run pretty hard but the mpg sucks, towing a car on the flatbed sucks,towing a car on the bed and one on the stinger sucks, pretty much everything about this truck sucks. I was wondering how many of you have actually modded these newer versions and what your results are.. Id love to do a full on delete but the thing has had so many issues I dont wanna void the warranty.. All iim looking for is a little help in the mpg area cuz 8 mpg sucks when the truck average is 8.. so any 450 and 550 owners please chime in and let me know your experiences...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 05:57 AM

i have 2 550 now they are not 2011 they are 07 an 08s and they never see better then 7 mpg so id be happy with your 8. i cant say if thats good or bad for a 2011 or not. but i will tell you that when i tuned my 07 i did not see any mpg difference. As its just loaded to heavy an ran to hard with big gears "4:88" an i feel that is what your case might be also. The repo company i work for part time has 07 08 ford with 4:30 rears an are not loaded as heavy an they net 10mpg. an their 09 an 2012 4500 dodges are the same 10 mpg but the 2012 is a super slug an dont get outta its own way for some reason.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have to agree the performance of these is absolutely pathetic. Mine gets 8 when pulling an empty trailer where my Duramax would get 12 with same trailer.
I still have hope Ford will wake up and realize their move to give us Longevity has done just the opposite.
Mine is in shop right now awaiting it's second Turbo replacement.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Serving Our Country!

Its funny that we have a ram 5500 and it averages around 15mpg.. it will out pull the ford anyday of the week.. Im not trying to start a war on what truck is better, but im just so mad at the f550 I have.. I would love to do the deletes and run a tuner but its been in the shop so much im scared... For now im thinking about doing the HS blackmaxx with the green card tunes but wondering if its worth it...

Last edited by armyguy; 07-25-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyguy View Post
Its funny that we have a ram 5500 and it averages around 15mpg.. it will out pull the ford anyday of the week.. Im not trying to start a war on what truck is better, but im just so mad at the f550 I have.. I would love to do the deletes and run a tuner but its been in the shop so much im scared... For now im thinking about doing the HS blackmaxx with the green card tunes but wondering if its worth it...
You must have a super 5500 because here are stats from a lot of Dodge Ram 3500 MPG Reports | Fuelly owners the 3500 average 13.5 so your I don't see how you could get 15mpg outta 5500 the is being worked hard. If the dodges were better on fuel like they were in the pre emissions days I would own one.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:34 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatheadon1 View Post
You must have a super 5500 because here are stats from a lot of Dodge Ram 3500 MPG Reports | Fuelly owners the 3500 average 13.5 so your I don't see how you could get 15mpg outta 5500 the is being worked hard. If the dodges were better on fuel like they were in the pre emissions days I would own one.
truck has full deletes, s and b intake with the scoop, running a HS black maxx, and was ordered from the factory with 3.73 rear end... thats how we do it I cruise at 2100 rpm at 75mph.

So im more of a dodge guy, so the 2011 have a regen? because ive logged about 11k miles in the last month and a half on it and have never had it go into regen..
Old 07-25-2012, 08:43 PM

That maks sence. As for me I'm more of a whatever is gonna run every day of the week take the abuse an get the best mpg guy. With that said after my 2011 f350 got lemon lawed I drove a 2012 3500 6.7 dodge an it was a slug same as the repo truck we got that is a 2012. I dont kno what the deal is but the 09 dodge leaves a light faster with a car on the back then the 2012 does empty. Bottom line is the emissions suck on all of them.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I got a '12 f450, it toes like a dream. 4.30 gears and mileage is about 11 towing lately. It was about 9.8- 10's but for some reason it has jumped. I planned on deleting it until seeing all the issues with turbos, fuel systems, and little sensors here and there. I would love to Atleast have the 400/800 flash but I just dont know if I quite trust the truck yet. It's got 3500 miles so far and no issues.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:56 PM
Serving Our Country!

can you do the flash onto a stock 2011? I wonder if it would kill my mpg even more.. I just got back from doing repos all weekend and logged 1350 miles in my dodge and averages 14.7 miles per gallon.. If I woulda taken the ford I woulda averaged about 9 lol... dont get me wrong I love my ford and she is a workhorse, but the MPG and lack of power sucks.. Plus its way more comfortable to ride around in and it drives way better..
Old 07-30-2012, 05:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

We have an 2012 f550 and it gets right at 10.5 mpg loaded or not. so I dont no about yours
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.