A pile of goodies, Icon Leveling and King Shocks - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 07:47 AM
Supporting Vendor

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A pile of goodies, Icon Leveling and King Shocks

It's not the first mod the truck got, that was the Truetrac, but up second is the suspension - and it needs it too.

I worked with Casey over at SoCal Supertrucks and they were great configuring and ordering a custom suspension for me.

We ended up leveling the truck with Icon springs and the TEI spacer and mixed in the King Piggyback shocks (at $500 a pop!) Also added the Icon adjustable track bar.
I have high hopes.

The King shocks are custom built, so I've been waiting a while and it showed up at about noon on the 3rd.

At first I was thinking: "let's just get it out of the package."
Then I'm looking at that little pile and thought: "install just the shocks."

Whew, expensive little pile.

So I got to work. But quickly realized, I was going to install the whole thing.

Dissassembly was very straight forward. Brake lines seemed pretty short, so I disconnected the bracket for now.

TEI Spacer

Stock vs Icon Leveling springs

Second issue I ran into was the large ring on the bottom of the king front shocks hits the shock mount. Decisions decisions, cut the truck or cut the shock. In the end I decided on the shock because that washer is just not structural and the bracket is.

At full droop the brake lines are too short. I drilled and tapped the frame (that was fun let me tell you) and relocated the brackets down a bit. I'll be looking for some Stainless Steel Lines in the near future.

The track rod came with no instructions, I asked Icon what length to set it at and they said 'stock'. Stock is just right to drive the passenger spring into the bump stop and make bad noises. I ended up with 3 turns out on the track rod and 5.25 out on the drag link gets the steering wheel pretty centered. An alignment shop will do better.

The rest of the install went pretty easily. The King piggybacks are a pain to get in there where they fit, but it can be done. I think I'd like to relocate the reservoirs to the frame if I can find some nice brackets.

I am having a problem with the tie rod hitting the sway bar links at full droop. I'll have to find some longer ones somewhere.

Here's the leftover parts, somehow I don't think Ford spent $4000 on this stuff.

Before

After

There is a noticeable increase in the height getting in and out of the cab.
According to my level, it's at a slight nose down attitude now.

Driving it, well, it's still a 1 ton truck, not much we are going to do about that, but it's smoother and flatter in the corners. Rides nicely.

Install time is a bit hard to estimate, I was dealing with a pool crisis during the day, it was hotter than blazes so I took a few 'breaks' for a 'beverage'. I started at 1p, took the first test drive around 8p. Still need to shanghai the GF to help me set the alignment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 10:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Do you think all the parts are worth $4k more in ride/handeling, or just for curb appeal and looks? Truck looks good and anyone who pops there head in the fender will appreciate it.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oh, I wish I had the tools and the skills to do this kind of job by myself.... Congrats on the new setup.... Truck looks great, even tho I wonder if you think the back needs to be a bit higher.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:21 PM

Wheels/Tires next??
Old 07-05-2012, 04:03 PM

that stance is pretty bad *** good job!
Old 07-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Supporting Vendor

Truck def rides better.

Wheels are Ultra 22x10, they are getting a black chrome treatment. Tires are 35x22 Nitto Terras. Flairs are the non-pocket style and are at the body shop being painted to match the body.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:48 AM

subscribing cause i want to see it with the new wheels/tires on it.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:05 AM
Supporting Vendor

Update to the Leveling install....

After a discussion with King and someone's post on the net (thanks) it was determined that I had to switch the front shocks because the hoses were exposed to the tire. Mine weren't hitting, but it was very close and these are still the stock tires.

After careful consideration I decided to drop the TEI spacer too. The truck settled in slightly nose up, with anything in the bed it would have been way up.

Back on track. Monday afternoon I decided to tackle this one. It was only 98F.

I was flying thru the operation, 30 minutes and the springs were back in and the shocks were going on when I hit a snag.

In check for clearance the reservoir was in a crash condition with the caliper with the wheel turned to full lock and it wasn't a little bit either. 3" of interference.

Here's a side shot with the wheel turned to one extreme.

Looking straight down the shock, you can see the caliper in it's path.

Measuring from the caliper to the reservoir is 7"

Yet we have 10" of shaft showing.

In my world, we call that a crash condition.

Simple solution, move the reservoir up 3". Simple for King maybe to make that hose 3" shorter, but for me, not so easy.

After wrestling with it for a good hour I gave up, started calling King for help, couldn't get anyone so I went back at it. And found a solution that works and looks good too.

What I did was twist the shock's port so it was nearly facing away from the reservoir and then loosened the line a little and with wrenches turned the line until the reservoir tucked in the way I wanted. Now I can keep the top of the reservoir flush with the top of the shock and get the room necessary to clear the caliper.

Here's a couple pics

And finally, a shot of the tire turned all the way and clearance to the shock.

I'm pretty happy with that.

With the TEI spacer out I do loose an inch of down travel, but I think the look is better and it'll certainly be better with a load in the bed. Slightly nose down, but it looks level because the spacing in the wheel openings is even front to rear.

King did call back, but I'd already solved it by then. They asked for photos, I sent them of course.

And here's the before and after again.

Before

After w/ TEI spacer

After w/o TEI spacer

Last edited by TrickTruck; 07-11-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:27 AM

Looks good. Glad to see there's still people that do their own work instead of going to a shop and paying huge amounts in labour
Old 07-12-2012, 09:28 AM
Supporting Vendor

Just picked up the wheels. Black Chrome. Interesting, we'll have to see it on the truck...

Waiting on flairs now. Saw them at the paint shop yesterday and they were painted...I'd think they'd have called by now.
The Following User Says Thank You to TrickTruck For This Useful Post:
ebusa (02-23-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.