What are the "gotta have" parts for a new 6.7? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 06:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What are the "gotta have" parts for a new 6.7?

I just got a new black '12 CC XLT 4X4 PSD and I'm a bit overwhelmed with the aftermarket support. What are the gotta have parts?

I tow a 20' aluminum flats boat for bow fishing and a 21' skeeter bass boat just about every other weekend. Other than that not a whole lot of towing. I'm not looking to set any records, the truck has plenty of power as is. I am interested in engine longevity, improved mpg's on the highway (unloaded), and really would like a little more pronounced exhaust note.

I've looked into snow performance's water/meth mpg maxx injection system, any opinions on it or reviews from someone using it? Also, what are the pros and cons of running egr and dpf delete? Lastly, for performance parts anyway, what engine tuner is best for mpg's? Like I said, I really don't want a 600 rwhp monster eating up trannys and all the mfg.'s tout their hp and torque specs.

I had a superchips cortex on my Ram hemi and it boosted my mpg's and power. They have the new vivid system (which will work with my android tablet) that looks good but everyone in the diesel world says nothing but bad things about s.c. and they don't have an egr dpf delete option.

I've probably opened up a can of worms here but I would like yalls honest opinions and reasons why or why not on accessories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2012, 07:02 AM
Smoke Eater

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to fdchief
I will try and answer to the best of my knowledge.

Water Meth Kit- Not really needed to make great power and improve mpg's over factory. there are much better options for much less money and headache.
EGR and DPF Delete- Pretty much like any other diesel the faster you can get rid of them the better for longetivity of the motor and better mpg's
Tuner- The only two tuners you should be considering is either the H&S or Spartan. I run the H&S black maxx and love it.

SO as for Gotta have parts i would go with one of the tuners above and an exhaust system that get rids of the dpf. An EGR delete and the best looking one ive seen so far is the Sinister one.

H&S actualy makes a package where you can get the tuner exhaust and EGR delete all in one it may be worth looking into. If i did at all over again i would have just went that route. Hope this help some, im sure others with a lot more knowledge than me will chime in pretty quickly.

Also welcome to the ORG!!!
Old 06-03-2012, 07:35 AM
First 6.7 PS Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterfuzz View Post
I'm a bit overwhelmed with the aftermarket support..
What aftermarket support?
Old 06-03-2012, 07:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticblu999 View Post
What aftermarket support?
I guess aftermarket variety would be the better term. I don't really need all the stuff the maxx tuners have, any opinion on the h&s xrt pro? Seems like it has everything I need. I just want the delete option, tire size adjustment, and a mild tune.

From what I have read on here, I need the delete pipe without bungs. What about a muffler, needed or not?
Old 06-03-2012, 09:10 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
I guess aftermarket variety would be the better term. I don't really need all the stuff the maxx tuners have, any opinion on the h&s xrt pro? Seems like it has everything I need. I just want the delete option, tire size adjustment, and a mild tune.

From what I have read on here, I need the delete pipe without bungs. What about a muffler, needed or not?
I would highly recommend stepping up to the mini maxx. Yes, the xrt pro will tune your truck.....but if you're towing with any sort of tune it's worth having an EGT reading. Otherwise you're gambling several thousands of dollars worth of turbo / engine versus a couple hundred to move up in tuners. JMHO. This motor seems to generate high temps quicker(by a fair amount) than my highly tuned LB7 Duramax did.....wouldn't want to see a guy roast a turbo if I could help it.

Wayne

Last edited by Senderofan; 06-03-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, so I'm almost sold on a h&s mini or black maxx until I read on their site that after I purchase their $900-$1,200 unit I have to send them another $100 just for the programming code? Am I misunderstanding something here or do they sell you the hardware without the software? Seriously? It's not me being cheap, I just bought a $52k truck, it's a matter of principal. To me that's just bad business, "here, buy my $1200 product and oh by the way it doesn't work unless you give me another bill". If I'm off base here, sorry for the rant but it's late and I pretty much had my parts list all sorted out.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The new powerstroke and duramax both require an unlock code from H&S. Gotta pay to play. They have spent alot of time/money to bring this product to market, only fair they get to recoup some.

If it makes you feel better, Spartan charges just as much (maybe more) for their tuner. It's not cheap to mod these trucks but it's worth every penny once it's done!
Old 06-04-2012, 04:40 AM
First 6.7 PS Destroyer

H&S or Spartan, Straight pipe, intake, good to go!
Old 06-04-2012, 05:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Alright, after I got some sleep I am a little less grumpy lol. H&S mini maxx, egt kit, and dpf delete pipe. Not sure on an intake yet or final exhaust. I like the look of the Banks dual tip single side exit and the dual exits. H&S will have meth injection programming soon too. I really like the meth/water idea as I'm sure you can tell. We had it on my dad's 2000 excursion and it was awesome, more power and it lowered egt's. I think for my marriage's sake I will start with the tuner first and add on from there. Still have wheels n tires, level kit, speakers, grill, and other interior goodies, along with a ARE or snugtop shell and bed liner to decide on. I'm gonna have to sell some of my r.c. cars and helicopters to finance daddy's big toy lol. May need to sell my motorcycle too, considering it almost killed me last august (just had my 3rd surgery on my shoulder wednesday) Thanks for the input guys!

Mystic, sent you a PM about your truck. Interested in your leveling kit, tucks those 35's just the way I like it.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:34 AM
First 6.7 PS Destroyer

Quote:
Mystic, sent you a PM about your truck. Interested in your leveling kit, tucks those 35's just the way I like it.

What kind of bike have we got for sale?

PM sent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.