The Cheaper approach to Engine Tuners? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 01:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The Cheaper approach to Engine Tuners?

Hi All,

Now Iíve chalked up my first 5K miles Iím interested in getting the most from the engine of my 6.7.

I notice that swapping the air intake etc appears not to be required, and I am not wanting to swap out the exhaust just yet. All that really is left as an option is a tuner box to optimize fueling.

Main aim is to clean up the fueling, improving throttle response, economy and "drivability". Huge power gains are not first on the list.

Iíd be interested in some feedback on the following products Ė which all appear to do something slightly different, but donít get much forum space:

1. TS Performances Power Play MP-8 ~$360 USD, doesnít leave any trace on the computer
2. Diablo Sport Extreme Power Puck ~$290 USD (I've found very very little about this on the Web specific to the Ford 6.7)
3. Edge Products EvoHT ~$380

You can tell I am cheapÖ. But I suspect Iíd stretch to a Edge Evolution CS, just to allow me to see whatís going on (I assume the tunes are the same as the EvoHT) if the Edge was the way to go.

Iíd love to hear feedback/ comments

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2012, 01:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Idk much, but I can tell you that the reason the Diablo and the other tuners are cheap and aren't discussed much is because they really aren't that great compared to H&S, Spartan, and the other custom tuners.
And, correct me if I'm wrong, but a DPF/DOC delete is going to get you the most out of the motor. It needs to breathe.
That's just what I've learned from reading.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:34 PM

If your looking for reliability and not willing to get rid of the dpf then you may as well just not touch anything
Old 05-27-2012, 04:14 PM
Premium Member

im pretty sure any tuner will leave a trace on these computers. someone correct me if i am wrong
Old 05-27-2012, 05:10 PM

On a truck that is this expensive do you really want to use a cheap tuner?

My opinion is save up and buy a H&S mini max or a Spartan tuner that monitors many parameters and run dpf present tuning.

And then when you decide to run deleted tune, (no dpf, DEF, and no egr) you already have a tuner that has the capability.

Like said above, there isnt much feedback on the tuners you mentioned because they dont even compare to H&S or Spartan who have both proven themselves.

Thats just my opinion and advice, but in the end its all up to you

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL
Old 05-27-2012, 06:07 PM
Premium Member

I'm not sure you're going to be able to achieve your stated goals by using one of the tuners you list. If you want to leave the DPF on...I would recommend an H&S tuner at a minimum....and probably go for the KEM green card. It seems these motors return their best fuel economy with the larger tunes ( highest hp settings.) In terms of "Cleaning" things up...the EGR delete takes care of the intake side....removing the DPF takes care of the restrictive exhaust side. Removing the restrictions makes for a more efficient package...you will see improvements across the board.

Ultimately it's up to you....but for the most part...you get what you pay for. You have to decide at what point you'd be satisfied. Just because a truck is deleted and runs a big tune doesn't necessarily equate with doing burnouts at every stop sign. Some want the engine to breath better, not forcing it to ingest soot and to maximize fuel economy.

Good Luck,

Wayne

P.S.

I purchased a Diablo for my father's Duramax. This unit was inexspensive....but didn't perform as well....or have the support behind it like an H&S or Spartan.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:34 PM

You bought a $50,000+ truck that has a $15,000+ engine and want to run a cheap tuner? Really?
Old 06-07-2012, 02:27 PM
First 6.7 PS Destroyer

Cheap but good approach would be SCT hand held or XRT pro

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using AutoGuide.com App
Old 06-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 22 reviews
/\

This. Doesnt have to be expensive if you do your research ahead of time. But at same time, dont cheap out on a mod like this. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
tuner diablo edge mp-8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.