What do i need to know... DPF delete - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 09:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question What do i need to know... DPF delete

I have a 2012 f250 just shy of 10k miles. I drive a LOT and also tow and use it for ranch work. That being said, im thinking about deleting/tuning it. I know, i know do a search...but i found too much conflicting info when i did.

1. Voiding warranty. I know they cannot void your entire warranty, but only what they can prove the dpf delete/tune did. If this is the case, what issues could arise from a delete and tune?

2. Watermark. Is there any tuner available that will not be traceable?

3. Possible emissions testing. Lets say in the future emissions test are required in TX. Is there any way to keep the dpf and put it back on for inspections?

4. Legality. I know it is illegal, but what is the likelihood of actually getting caught and fined.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 12:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You can put the dpf back on at any time.

Getting caught depends on your local PD as well as how concious you are to not smoke out neighborhoods.

Tuners vary, spartan has had the best success with no watermark as far as I know.

Warranty depends on each individual dealer

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 04-30-2012, 02:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sippy, I have the same questions about this topic. Anyways I talked to a friend of a friend who worked at H&S about this. He claims that it is very difficult for the dealer to find the programmer code to prove that the truck had been programmed. Also I have heard that some dealers look the other way.

Losing the Warranty is a big concern for me but everyone with these modifications claim they have had no issues as of yet. Id like to hear from someone who has a 6" or taller lift and see what they have to say. Thanks
Old 04-30-2012, 03:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you, so basically it is (relatively) safe to do.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:17 PM

No dealer is going to look the other way with these trucks. If they look the other way and there is a major failure, ie. fuel system, turbo, motor. and they process a warranty claim, Ford corporate sends an engineer down to investigate before anything is approved. If the engineer doesn't see any issues and approves the warranty repairs, the work is done, and the mods are found later the dealership is stuck paying corporate back. That is ALOT of $$ a dealership would have to cough up, which is why they don't look the other way.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:45 PM
Premium Member

I would like to add what I have read and what was also mentioned on this post. I have read that most if not all the exhaust systems that replace the DPF are designed to be installed with ease and to also be removed for the stock exhaust to be installed for dealer, emissions.....

I am on the fence with this too. I tow a lot of weight and each trip is over 1,500 round trip. My question is: is there a noticeable difference with the delete? I don't mind buying the fluid but if I can pick up a little more torque, I will remove/replace.

Great post.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:47 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by factoryflood View Post
No dealer is going to look the other way with these trucks. If they look the other way and there is a major failure, ie. fuel system, turbo, motor. and they process a warranty claim, Ford corporate sends an engineer down to investigate before anything is approved. If the engineer doesn't see any issues and approves the warranty repairs, the work is done, and the mods are found later the dealership is stuck paying corporate back. That is ALOT of $$ a dealership would have to cough up, which is why they don't look the other way.
I agree from my experience with my 2004 6.0. I think they pray on finding something to make it a cash job. Warranty pays crap to the dealer and a cash job has a higher return for the tech and the dealer.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm not saying that it is safe to do because I still haven't pulled the trigger myself..

Factoryflood, I see what you are saying and agree that if it is a Major failure such as the things you stated that ford wouldn't look the other way.. Im also not saying that its ok to do these mods and expect Ford to cover the cost of something that the Tuner or exhaust did. BUT if it's a common issues that a lot of people are having then I will have no problem returning the truck to stock and taking it in to be fixed.

Sorry and please correct me if I'm wrong but I highly doubt that all the people that have done these mods are willing to pay for a new motor and labor.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:28 PM

I just wish there was a way to pop off the existing exhaust and have the truck think all is fine. With the restriction gone (and no tune) this thing would be insane enough. It's already insane. H&S shows a dyno graph with the delete done but no tune....WOW.

I want a pulling machine - not a hot rod that will burn itself up. I'd love to see a company make a plug in that tells the computer the sensors are in place and fine....no computer interface with the truck. And, then allows you to remove down pipe back and replace. Then, you could easily put things back. Of course, I've heard they can track regens and that would be a sign something was amiss.

I guess I'll keep mine stock until warranty is up. Then...it really doesn't matter (other than the legality of it...which is BS IMO).
Old 05-01-2012, 05:40 PM

Exactly what ucpa said. I just want the the mpg and torque the the dpf is costing me. I would love to delete without a tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.