How Much Smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 03:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How Much Smoke

Hello all tuned owners. I am curious how much smoke is made when running an H&S tuner with deletes (for the 6.7)? Since a tune may someday be in the cards, I am curious what the smoke level is from the exhaust and if it changes based on the tune setting?

My Father's 7.3 has a banks system and is very clean compared with a lot of videos I see from competitor products.

Honestly, I don't like the idea of making a ton of black smoke and some of the you tube vids show a lot of that. I realize there will be more exhaust particulate when deletes are done...but I know that black smoke is unburned fuel...so...there are companies that work to make a clean tune (reference Banks).

Just curious....
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 03:33 PM

On stock or tow setting it is almost impossible to make it smoke, I said almost. In race or hot settings if you hit the gas hard it will dump a big cloud. It is the excess diesel in the engine before the turbo spools up. As long as it drops a gear or is rev'd up before you push the gas pedal all the way down, there is usually very minimal amount of smoke. With that said:

I towed a bobcat and trailer the other day in the hot setting. I was stopped and put the shifter to manual mode. Raised the gear up to third, stepped on the gas and put the "verizon wireless" sign twirler guy standing on the street corner in the blackest, thickest diesel cloud I have ever seen! I forgot to hit record on my iPhone!
Old 04-23-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbuck View Post
On stock or tow setting it is almost impossible to make it smoke, I said almost. In race or hot settings if you hit the gas hard it will dump a big cloud. It is the excess diesel in the engine before the turbo spools up. As long as it drops a gear or is rev'd up before you push the gas pedal all the way down, there is usually very minimal amount of smoke. With that said:

I towed a bobcat and trailer the other day in the hot setting. I was stopped and put the shifter to manual mode. Raised the gear up to third, stepped on the gas and put the "verizon wireless" sign twirler guy standing on the street corner in the blackest, thickest diesel cloud I have ever seen! I forgot to hit record on my iPhone!
Oh damn... that made me laugh out loud for a minute picturing that poor guy. That's not nice though.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:29 PM

Ya the only way you get a noticeable black cloud is if you just stomp on it, or lug it in low rpms.
If you ease into the throttle, even in the highest tune level it wont smoke much. Or like said above, if you are at a stop and put it in manual and shift to 3rd and step on it, you can really put a cloud out. Lol

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL
Old 04-24-2012, 06:59 AM

I have a spartan tuner with a full 5" exhaust. Even on the war hammer tune, unless you lug it you won't get any smoke. Extremely clean tunes!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 04-26-2012, 10:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbuck View Post
On stock or tow setting it is
HTML Code:
p
almost impossible to make it smoke, I said almost. In race or hot settings if you hit the gas hard it will dump a big cloud. It is the excess diesel in the engine before the turbo spools up. As long as it drops a gear or is rev'd up before you push the gas pedal all the way down, there is usually very minimal amount of smoke. With that said:

Your not using the he then it smokes in all settings. Everytime you take off in any setting it smokes
Old 04-29-2012, 07:04 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I can smoke like crazy on my Ford stock tune with DPF delete!
Old 05-03-2012, 03:12 PM

Ive got the Mini Maxx with full egr delete and 5'' straight pipe and I can dump it on stock mild wild and hot but usually only if i let rpms drop and punch it if i just drive it normal no smoke...
Old 05-04-2012, 10:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This is kind of on this topic.. How loud is the 6.7 with the 5" straight pipe? thinking about getting the 5" straight pipe but i kind of like it being quiet unlike my old gas truck.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This is kind of on this topic.. How loud is the 6.7 with the 5" straight pipe? thinking about getting the 5" straight pipe but i kind of like it being quiet unlike my old gas truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.