Mini Maxx/Truck Not Starting! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 06:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mini Maxx/Truck Not Starting!

I just bought my first Ford....ive been a Chevy guy forever and I need help. Just installed an intake and full exhaust on a 2012...started to tune the truck everything was smooth until it was done. I got a message "starting system fault" in the driver screen...called H&S and they pretty much told me I fried the PCM and need a new one. Any ideas? It gave me two codes it seems like a security lockout or something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2012, 11:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I remember this happening to another member. It was pretty soon after the first release of tunes. H@S work pretty close with the guy to figure it out and help him. Hope you get back running soon.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:00 PM

I remember this too. I would search the forum and see what you can find, and go from there.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njford1 View Post
I just bought my first Ford....ive been a Chevy guy forever and I need help. Just installed an intake and full exhaust on a 2012...started to tune the truck everything was smooth until it was done. I got a message "starting system fault" in the driver screen...called H&S and they pretty much told me I fried the PCM and need a new one. Any ideas? It gave me two codes it seems like a security lockout or something
That's no good. I wonder what happened?
Old 04-14-2012, 12:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My remote start makes that come up every now and then, but the truck starts fine anyways.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:55 AM

You got a $60K paper weight now.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:52 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Very surprised to hear H&S giving you the brush off like that. I'll be watching this thread very closely as I have yet to order the H&S, but planned on doing so soon.

If frying PCMs is part of the package, I think I'll not be doing that.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator

I find it even more strange that he posted that and has yet to follow it up.

Last edited by LFD132; 04-14-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Yes, this is an issue we have seen a few times before. A few times at a dealer level, and a few times with tuning devices (H&S as well as others). We are trying to get one of these faulty ECMs back from a customer right now so we can diagnose it further. There may be a solution, but we need to have one of the failed units here first to check it out.

The chances of this happening are very very rare. It will always happen the first time you "flash" the truck. The ECU crashes and will no longer allow the truck to start. The odd part is that you can still communicate and flash the truck as many times as you want. This most likely means that the portion of the ECU that fails is outside of the area that tuning companies read/write data from. Just for reference, I dare say we have tuned over 5,000 6.7L Powerstroke trucks. 3 have failed on us. 0.06% is very minimal in the grand scheme.

I believe our techs are working with the OP towards a solution. Because it is a factory flaw, our first suggestion is to see if your dealer will warranty the ECU. That is the fastest way to get the truck back up and running at this point.

Thanks for your patience and understanding, we hope to get one of these ECMs here soon so we can get more info on what is failing!
Old 04-14-2012, 07:53 PM
First 6.7 PS Destroyer

1 poster, hope you get it fixed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.