Big lift, hauling, and gears question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 11:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Big lift, hauling, and gears question

Hey guys,

I have a mostly stock 2012 F350 right now. All I've done is a few little cosmetic mods like tint and painted bumpers. I've always wanted to do a huge lift on a truck, and now that I can finally afford it I want to go ahead with it. I got a killer deal on some Fuel Hostages and 40x15.5x22 Toyo Open Country MT's, and want to lift it to fit. I want to have (more or less) zero chance of rubbing if I articulate the suspension a bit, am I going to be able to achieve that on an 8.5" lift like the pure performance kit? I was looking at either that or the Fabtech 10" 4-link setup.

Second is hauling. How will either of these setups do pulling a little bit of a load? In the winter time I leave my sled deck on, and keep my slip tank full so I'm usually driving around with about 600 pounds in the bed at any given time, and more when I do hit the mountains. Are either of these setups (the Pure Performance or the Fabtech) going to sag with weight on 'em? Would airbags help, if they even exist for this setup? I'd love to do a Kelderman kit but for the price of that kit I could do the fabtech, front and rear road armors, get some interior work done, and mod my sled some. Just not in the budget.

Lastly, what size differentials do these trucks come with? If I've done my math correctly, the truck with 40's and 4.56's should work out to roughly the same gearing as stock size tires with 3.73's so does anyone know a good place to find some 4.56's?

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2011, 07:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
That big of a lift and towing will give you axel wrap, look into OUO traction blocks to get rid of that. They might be able to integrate an airbag on them too so you won't sag at all
Old 11-11-2011, 11:04 AM

You are going to need at least 10" of lift. I have had an F250 with 14" and it rubbed on the fenderwell sometimes with 40x15.50x22 TOYO MT tires
Old 11-11-2011, 02:41 PM

Theres a couple guys on here that have 2011s and 2012s lifted big enough to clear 40s listen to them. Dont listen to the guys with older model fords. I hate when people chime in on something they have zero experiance with.

In relation to the sleddeck and huge lifts thats quite the angle to approach to load. If it was me doing that go with an 8.5" and see if you can trade those 40s for some 37s that way there is zero chance of rubbing drops the height a little for loading and wont make you dangerously top heavy. I run sleds in the BC mountains all winter and 6" and 37s in big enough for me haha
Old 11-11-2011, 04:48 PM

I am doing 40" x 15.5" Toyo's as well and if you go with the Pure Performance kit which is what I am doing you will need 10" of lift. You have to crank the coilover up 2" and add 2" in the rear, they will still most likely rub the 4 link arm on the drivers side at full lock because they are so wide. I have personally seen and driven this setup.

I thought about doing the 8.5" because I want to be higher than 6" but people tell me 37" are to small for being that high and next up is 40's for a 22" wheel, they actually look very proportionate on the 10" lift height.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaStroker View Post
Theres a couple guys on here that have 2011s and 2012s lifted big enough to clear 40s listen to them. Dont listen to the guys with older model fords. I hate when people chime in on something they have zero experiance with.

In relation to the sleddeck and huge lifts thats quite the angle to approach to load. If it was me doing that go with an 8.5" and see if you can trade those 40s for some 37s that way there is zero chance of rubbing drops the height a little for loading and wont make you dangerously top heavy. I run sleds in the BC mountains all winter and 6" and 37s in big enough for me haha
The biggest issue I have with stepping down to a 37 or a 38 is there isn't really any 15.5 wides out there for a 22" wheel. Call me retarded, but I love the look of the huge 15.5" wide Toyo's. I've been talking with the Wife as she needs a new vehicle, and she's talked about waiting another year for her and letting me get the Kelderman kit. We'll see what happens I guess. I can always have some longer ramps made too. I like the idea of a kelderman, but on the same hand airbags just seem like one more thing to go wrong if I'm in the middle of nowhere and I have an airline leak, the lines freeze up, or a bag bursts.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I've got a TruckBoss deck on my Dodge with 6" of lift and 37's and that is as high as I would want to go regardless of ramp length. With 10" of lift and 40's you would have to watch for low bridges not to mention the added sway.

Last edited by Skyd Ram; 11-14-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:13 PM

I have had lifts on my 2003,2005,2008, and 2011 F250. Anywhere from leveling kits and 35's to 14" and 40's. I do some towing as well. My favorite setup was the 8.5" and 37's. Plenty of clearance and still tows great.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaStroker View Post

How bad did the 37's kill your MPG"s?
Old 11-15-2011, 09:52 PM

16mpg highway at about 110km
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.