First Mod - Where to start? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 11:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First Mod - Where to start?

Just purchased 2011 f250 - have 3k on it and starting the research on what mod to start out with.

Looking to increase HP - nothing crazy and not spend a fortune.

Live in California so emissions I'm sure are an issues. I would consider myself a casual modder and would like to keep it close to stock as possible.

So far I figured I need turner - H&S or Spartan seems to be the discussion. Do I need to go under the hood for this tuner setup?

I've had experience with a 2002 WRX back in the day and had to do a whole bunch to the car when modding. Is that the case with the f250 setup or can I just plug in a tuner a go?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2011, 12:05 AM
Winning DUHHH

Go h&s and its plug in and go!!

Sent from HTC EVO 3D Autoguide app
Old 11-03-2011, 05:41 AM
Premium Member

Living in California you're very limited. I started out with a Torq2 from Innovative Diesel. I've got it for sale if you're interested, works good just don't need it anymore. It's the simplest way of getting a bit more power without having to tune the whole ECM. Don't go with Spartan because they've only got a 50hp tune with DPF on. I would not run the risk of taking it off in CA. I lived there for 20 years, never go back. Most power with the DPF on would be H&S tuner with KEM's tunes.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:50 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by mor4wd View Post
Living in California you're very limited. I started out with a Torq2 from Innovative Diesel. I've got it for sale if you're interested, works good just don't need it anymore. It's the simplest way of getting a bit more power without having to tune the whole ECM. Don't go with Spartan because they've only got a 50hp tune with DPF on. I would not run the risk of taking it off in CA. I lived there for 20 years, never go back. Most power with the DPF on would be H&S tuner with KEM's tunes.
Do you have a review on the mileage with the KEM tunes? I am very interested.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

assuming DPF is the down pipe from the turbo?

So if I understand correctly, tuners do exist that will tune stock F250's?

Maybe the best way to phrase my questions is I want to keep the most stock, safe yet powerful combination of tune.....

Maybe non existant at this stage. Not looking to crazy horse power but would like the extra boost.

Torq2 works with the fuel system correct?
Old 11-03-2011, 10:37 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt93 View Post
Do you have a review on the mileage with the KEM tunes? I am very interested.
Still working through my first tank with it. So far it's looking real good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisports View Post
assuming DPF is the down pipe from the turbo?

So if I understand correctly, tuners do exist that will tune stock F250's?

Maybe the best way to phrase my questions is I want to keep the most stock, safe yet powerful combination of tune.....

Maybe non existant at this stage. Not looking to crazy horse power but would like the extra boost.

Torq2 works with the fuel system correct?
DPF is combined with the SCR and DOC on these trucks. It's all one piece. It's right after the downpipe and goes all the way to the over axle pipe. Both H&S and Spartan have tuners that allow you to tune with the truck's emissions equipment in place. H&S has up to 120hp over and Spartan has a 50hp over tune. Majority of us on here use the H&S, but they're both great. Weigh and compare each and choose for yourself. The H&S can run KEM tunes on it. KEM Performance writes a lot of tunes for the 6.4 and 6.7. He currently has the highest DPF on tuning for the 6.7 at 170hp over stock. He dynoed it at 497hp at the rear wheels. You're gonna drop $1000 on either Spartan or H&S and then KEM's tunes are another $300.

The Torq2 modifies the fuel curve without the ECM's knowledge. Completely untraceable and give you about 50 more ponies. I'll sell it you at a good price. PM me if you're interested.

EDIT: After reading your post again I thought I might solve something for you. DPF is Diesel Particulate Filter, SCR is Selective Catalyst Reduction, and DOC is Diesel Oxidation Catalyst. All the wonderful emissions equipment mandated from the EPA. Removal of it can cost you up to $10,000 if you get caught.

Last edited by mor4wd; 11-03-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.