PRE-TURBO EGT w/o EGR DELETE - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 03:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
PRE-TURBO EGT w/o EGR DELETE

Alright so haven't received any response on where to stick a pyrometer if you don't want to delete the EGR and cooler. So I took H&S pyrometer location and adapted it to my stock system. I tapped the EGR intake as close to where it attaches to the manifold as possible. I've attached pics to help. I also spoke with my local dealer service manager regarding if he thought a pyrometer located on the EGR intake was a good idea. He really couldn't think of any reason why not. My only concern was that the exhaust flow might not be sufficient enough when the EGR was closed to provide accurate exhaust temps. He informed me that the EGR is open a majority of the time and I should be getting fairly accurate readings.

So the pyrometer has been in for about a week now. I've got an Edge Insight displaying both readings from the newly installed pyro and from the stock EGT sensors. The new pyro while towing is approximately 400-500 degrees hotter than the stock post-turbo sensors. The highest temps I've seen so far have been going up a pretty steep hill, towing about 7000 lbs, at 55mph. The EGT read at 1325 pre-turbo and about 800ish post-turbo.

I'll keep posting as I use the new sensor more. Has anyone heard what the max pre-turbo EGT should be? I know on the older pstroke max was 1250, hopefully the 6.7 is a little higher.
Attached Thumbnails
PRE-TURBO EGT w/o EGR DELETE-pa050667.jpg   PRE-TURBO EGT w/o EGR DELETE-pa050668.jpg   PRE-TURBO EGT w/o EGR DELETE-pa050669.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2011, 04:51 PM

Old 10-05-2011, 04:55 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
1325 degrees is too hot for any turbo IMO
Old 10-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Term3 View Post
1325 degrees is too hot for any turbo IMO
I thought so too, especially for a bone stock truck, not running any tunes. I sometimes haul up to 18000 lbs with this truck, I haven't yet seen what the EGTs are when I have that much weight behind me. Hopefully they don't get much higher.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by YTEP_F450 View Post
I thought so too, especially for a bone stock truck, not running any tunes. I sometimes haul up to 18000 lbs with this truck, I haven't yet seen what the EGTs are when I have that much weight behind me. Hopefully they don't get much higher.
It is probably well above that when it goes into regen for 10 minutes at a time.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFD132 View Post
It is probably well above that when it goes into regen for 10 minutes at a time.
True. I think the problems with turbo failure start to occur when you have extended periods of high EGTs. I'd imagine that the high EGTs during regen probably decrease fairly rapidly once the regen cycle is complete... assuming that your not pushing the truck real hard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.