H&S pyro question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 10:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
H&S pyro question

Just installed a Mini Max and I am seeing values on one of the pyro inputs. The temps seem pretty high but they do fluctuate. I was under the impression that an aftermarket pyro was the only way to read the EGT on the 6.7. I know this may have been covered but my search didn't turn up much. Little help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2011, 11:43 AM

I was under the impression that if you did not install a pyro you would not get a reading. You did not install a pyro right? You can install an aftermarket pyro OR use one of the factory ones you removed with the DPF. But if you didn't install one you should not have a reading from what I know.
I installed an aftermarket pyro in one of the plates for the EGR delete.

I would give H&S a call, they are usually very helpfull.

Thanks
Old 09-27-2011, 11:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

You can either use the H&S pyro or route one of the stock pyros from the exhaust (recommended) into the H&S EGR delete kit where they have a bung for it. Also, make sure the pyro function is set to factory and not H&S (it will come that way right out of the box). Hope this helps.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

To be clear I only ordered the tuner, I didnt opt for the sensor offered with it or the EGR delete kit. When I select factory 1 pyro setting I'm seeing the value.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

If you did not purchase our blocker plate(which is also included with our EGR delete kit), then you will not be able to get accurate readings with the factory sensors.

If you are running DPF Present tuning, then you will be able to read the factory sensors, but these are not of any value, as they are considerably past the turbo.

If you are running DPF Removed tuning, then you will need one of our plates in order to accurately read EGT's. Here is a link to the instructions http://www.hsperformance.com/images/fordegt.pdf

As an alternative(and more expensive, and not recommended), you can use an H&S pyro kit and drill/tap your own manifold. I would discourage this to the highest degree as you will be very frustrated when finished(if you even get it done)!

Hope this helps, if not please don't hesitate to post more questions.

-H&S
Old 09-28-2011, 11:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by H&S Performance View Post
If you did not purchase our blocker plate(which is also included with our EGR delete kit), then you will not be able to get accurate readings with the factory sensors.

If you are running DPF Present tuning, then you will be able to read the factory sensors, but these are not of any value, as they are considerably past the turbo.

If you are running DPF Removed tuning, then you will need one of our plates in order to accurately read EGT's. Here is a link to the instructions http://www.hsperformance.com/images/fordegt.pdf

As an alternative(and more expensive, and not recommended), you can use an H&S pyro kit and drill/tap your own manifold. I would discourage this to the highest degree as you will be very frustrated when finished(if you even get it done)!

Hope this helps, if not please don't hesitate to post more questions.

-H&S
So basically if I want EGT's on the mini-maxx I either need to drill and tap the manifold or remove the EGR and install the block-off plate as pictured in the link, correct?
Old 09-28-2011, 05:17 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Evil View Post
So basically if I want EGT's on the mini-maxx I either need to drill and tap the manifold or remove the EGR and install the block-off plate as pictured in the link, correct?
You don't have to remove the EGR cooling unit...although it is a heavy chunk of weight. But you would remove the pipes from the intake to the cooler and exhaust manifold to cooler...... then apply the blocking plates.....one of which is the blocking plate for the exhaust manifold and would have the bung for you to screw in one of the pyro probes from the DPF unit ( if you purchased the proper kit )....So I have read The cooler is mighty fun to work on......so much room in there.......So I have read .

The H&S kit has three blocking plates....two for the EGR gas pipes and one long plate to cover the coolant ports for the EGR cooling unit....among other small items.

Good Luck,

Wayne

P.S.

Not sure I'd want to drill and tap for the H&S probe on this reverse flow set up. It was a piece of cake on my 2002 Duramax...with conventional exhaust headers on the outside of the head ( "V" )....but this set up makes me a little nervous. The kit is super easy to use and works well with one of the Ford factory probes.

Last edited by Senderofan; 09-28-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.