H&S EGR delete kit - heads up - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2011, 04:29 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
H&S EGR delete kit - heads up

The delete kit comes with 2 3/4" bypass caps. These are to cap off the 2 places where the 3/4" hose came to and from the EGR cooler. These are no good. Someone alerted me about 4 months ago that theirs were leaking. So I took a look at mine and they were not leaking but badly cracked. I bought new ones locally somehow thinking that the end result would be different. But now 4 months later the same thing. Mine are not leaking but are badly cracked and likely on the verge of letting go. All I can figure is that maybe the bypass caps are meant as a temporary bandaid to bypass a blow heater core and are not meant to be use permanently??? Anyone??? All I did was use a short peice of 3/4" hose, a 3/4" plug and 2 hose clamps (x2). Anyone have any better ideas? The top one is really easy to change. But the bottom one is a real PITA, this is my third and hopefully last time chaning it. I can't immagine trying to do this on the side of the road (without a garage full of tools). It is tucked in under the airbox. You need to take the airbox out and you can access it from above (but you and see it). You need to tighten the hose clamp from below with a min 24" long screw driver. Pic 3 shows it from the bottom, you can just see the 2 hose clamps on the RHS of the alum pipe that passes through the middle of the picture near the top. Pic 1 is the bypass cap as it looked today, before I took it off. Pic 2 is my "fix"? Pics 4 and 5 are the bypass caps stretched to show the cracks. YIKES.

Anyone installing this kit will want to do something better than the bypass caps. Had I know I would not have had to do this 3 times. I don't see why my fix will not work? But if I have any issues I will let you know!

Hope this helps someone.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2011, 05:33 PM
Surrounded by Corn!

Great info Darren, thanks for sharing. I assume H&S is going to update/upgrade their kit?
Old 09-18-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt93 View Post
Great info Darren, thanks for sharing. I assume H&S is going to update/upgrade their kit?
You would think so but this issue was posted on H&S's forum quite some time ago and the only reply it got was from me. So I assume H&S / everyone else don't think there is an issue. They will when their coolant is on the road. The main reason I put the H&S stuff on my truck was to make it more reliable, I'm not going to let a $0.25 part ruin my day.

I was thinking H&S would comment / approve the proposed fix / deny the problem or something?? But no word in months.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Wonder what Spartan uses..
Old 09-18-2011, 05:50 PM
Surrounded by Corn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsnMR2 View Post
Wonder what Spartan uses..
Hahaha, can never get an H&S post without Spartan being mentioned. Thanks for the chuckle.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt93 View Post
Hahaha, can never get an H&S post without Spartan being mentioned. Thanks for the chuckle.
lol I mentioned it for that exact reason. I think it's funny H&S is so quick to post in other threads but we are getting nothing here. Just when I was starting to lean towards H&S... Oh well lol.

EDIT : But on another note, what DOES Spartan use?
Old 09-19-2011, 04:02 AM
Surrounded by Corn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsnMR2 View Post
lol I mentioned it for that exact reason. I think it's funny H&S is so quick to post in other threads but we are getting nothing here. Just when I was starting to lean towards H&S... Oh well lol.

EDIT : But on another note, what DOES Spartan use?
I feel the same way.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:30 PM
Surrounded by Corn!

I saw this post on H&S's forum as well with no response from them. I wonder if they are correcting these parts?
Old 10-01-2011, 09:20 PM

I have had mine in for quite a while now no issues like your having. Looks like yours dried out, were you not lubricating them? With rubber conditioner haha jk
Old 10-02-2011, 02:11 AM
Surrounded by Corn!

Rubber conditioner lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.