Best bang for your buck(s)? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 08:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Best bang for your buck(s)?

I have a bone stock 2011 F-250. Looking to get more MPG's out of it. The computer currently says I am averaging 17mpg. What is the best way to spend my money if my only goal is better MPG? I don't need 300 more HP, and 500 more lb. ft of torque, just some better mileage. What is available to help me out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2011, 11:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jesse@MBRP
Innovative TQ2
Old 08-14-2011, 11:59 AM

AFE StageII helps it breath a bit too, but the real drag is the exhuast, but its pricy to remove. just remember any added fuel with the DPF on will increase the frequency of the regen.
good mileage comes down to basically one thing when were talking about engines - EFFICIENCY - easier the air gets in then out the better MPG.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

can you explain this "just remember any added fuel with the DPF on will increase the frequency of the regen." a bit more? I have only had to refill my fluid once and that was at about 7,000 miles, should be coming up on needing to fill it again.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdneo View Post
can you explain this "just remember any added fuel with the DPF on will increase the frequency of the regen." a bit more? I have only had to refill my fluid once and that was at about 7,000 miles, should be coming up on needing to fill it again.
diesels smoke so dumping more fuel into the engine as with a chip or similar, produces more soot or "smoke" especially under load or hard starts, which clogs up the DPF faster. when the DPF gets clogged it goes into regen or "cleaning exhaust filter". the more soot, the more often the regen happens, and the regen kills economy more than anything else
Old 08-15-2011, 10:42 AM

The easiest mod is the AFE or S&B intake. Tuners that delete the emissions equipment are doing great, but if you want to stay street legal, the options are pretty limited. Some of our customers have been running the H&S tuners with pretty good results though.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jesse@MBRP
The H&S DPF On tunes are pretty solid along with the Innovative module. I think TS Performance has an MP8 as well.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
S&B intake, and H&S would be the way to go... but dont expect any really big gains with the DPF on

-Raul
Old 08-21-2011, 06:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
This is the topic I have been looking for! Yes I am a NEWBIE to the Diesel world! I just picked up a 2008 F350SD on Saturday. I have been waiting months for the right one to come along. Starting tomorrow, I am going to start the week long process of changing every fluid on this Beast! (Work vs play ratio + doing this while TDY without my tools :-) (Have to rely on the self help center))

** All my questions come from reading way too much and getting confused as to which direction to go!

1- If my mod goals were centered around MPG, (no major towing yet) what would be the best path? Is it feasible to reach for at least 20 MPG? The guage showed 12.8 MPG on the 130 mile drive home yesterday which is 4+ less than expected.

2- I guess I just do not know the benefits I would gain by all the DPF delete options. DPF delete pipe only vs DPF + CAT delete vs Turbo back DPF/CAT delete. Does the $300+ difference for the Turbo Back option gain me anymore MPG? Ok it will breathe better but how much better?

3- Programmer...Now this seems to be an opinionated topic!! But which tune will benefit my goal? I know, I know...I did not buy this Beast for the MPG but it would be a bonus to get to at least 20 MPG! I have been leaning towards SCT Livewire 9621 based only on reviews then I read about the Mini Max ($$$)

4- Air Intake: can this be phase 2 of my mods or is this a priciple player in my stated goal?

5- Is there a cost/benefit by using Motocraft fluids or are the aftermarket products better? Oil/filter, Tranny, Fuel filters, coolant, Diff lube?

OK that is a great start for my first post!! I have lots of questions and there seems to be NO real diesel performance shops in the Augusta GA area that I can find..:-)..If anyone knows of one in the Augusta area or the Nashville area, it would be greatly appreciated..

Opinions are ok but facts trump everyone!
Old 08-22-2011, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusderr View Post
This is the topic I have been looking for! Yes I am a NEWBIE to the Diesel world! I just picked up a 2008 F350SD on Saturday. I have been waiting months for the right one to come along. Starting tomorrow, I am going to start the week long process of changing every fluid on this Beast! (Work vs play ratio + doing this while TDY without my tools :-) (Have to rely on the self help center))

** All my questions come from reading way too much and getting confused as to which direction to go!

1- If my mod goals were centered around MPG, (no major towing yet) what would be the best path? Is it feasible to reach for at least 20 MPG? The guage showed 12.8 MPG on the 130 mile drive home yesterday which is 4+ less than expected.

2- I guess I just do not know the benefits I would gain by all the DPF delete options. DPF delete pipe only vs DPF + CAT delete vs Turbo back DPF/CAT delete. Does the $300+ difference for the Turbo Back option gain me anymore MPG? Ok it will breathe better but how much better?

3- Programmer...Now this seems to be an opinionated topic!! But which tune will benefit my goal? I know, I know...I did not buy this Beast for the MPG but it would be a bonus to get to at least 20 MPG! I have been leaning towards SCT Livewire 9621 based only on reviews then I read about the Mini Max ($$$)

4- Air Intake: can this be phase 2 of my mods or is this a priciple player in my stated goal?

5- Is there a cost/benefit by using Motocraft fluids or are the aftermarket products better? Oil/filter, Tranny, Fuel filters, coolant, Diff lube?

OK that is a great start for my first post!! I have lots of questions and there seems to be NO real diesel performance shops in the Augusta GA area that I can find..:-)..If anyone knows of one in the Augusta area or the Nashville area, it would be greatly appreciated..

Opinions are ok but facts trump everyone!
1- yes its possible if you spend $$$$ on the delete , tuner and air box. 12.8 is terrible .
2- you dont need the down pipe, just get a dp back delete. it is plenty. a full delete will offer the best performance.
i run a full straight pipe with a 4" aero turbine muffler. . no restriction.
3- you get what you pay for. sct - not the best
4- cheap , and important to efficiency.
5- no noticable gains from fluids, especially not coolant

it all comes down to the delete if your looking for large gains. generally the higher HP tunes give the best MPG . but until you let it breath and get rid of the regen you wont see huge gains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.