Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Help With DPF Delete?

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  DSTRBD 
#1 ·
I ordered my dpf delete and its on the way. Does anyone have advice for how i should approach it such as what direction to start dissembling dpf, downloading tuner first, etc... Thanks in advance

#2 ·
I downloaded my tuner first, then did the deletes.. as far as taking everything off under the truck, if you're going to do it yourself, i would suggest having a friend there with you. A couple of buddy's and I did mine in about 3 hours on a sunday afternoon, but had I known that I should just unbolt the hangers from the underside of the truck rather than taking the time to delicately pry off the rubber, it would have gone quite a bit faster! The hardest part was figuring out how to disconnect all the different sensors, seeing as how every single one has a different style plug. kind of dumb...

#3 ·
I haven't taken a good look under the truck but from what your saying, it will be easiest to disconnect the dpf at the front by the downpipe then at the back by the muffler along with the hangers, then let it drop down. After that unplug the sensors and then the rest of the piping including the muffler just unbolts? Also is there an advantage if i start from the back of the truck then work my way up, I've heard this works. Thanks for your input

#4 · (Edited)
Download updates, install tuner If H&S run the DPF off tune first, just to make sure your truck will take it drive it , for 5miles or so (not too long or the DPF will heat up and be a pain to take off )
Sensors and DEF first, the wires arent long enough to drop it first, theres a bunch took me a couple tries to find them all.
I did downpipe next , all the hangers (simplest to unbolt them from the frame and deal with them after) and then tail pipe last. Its what worked for me, might be easier another way
And bolt-up is straight forward. Move a hanger to the delete pipe, hang and do up the 6 bolts and done.

I agree with others, this thing weights something like 150+ pounds it isnt light, so a second pair of hands would be a great asset, myself and the wife did it in 2 hours
I had troubles with finding all the sensor plugs with the dpf still on so I ended up taking out the sensors first then unplugging them.. a real PITA

#5 ·
Yeah, a couple of the sensor plugs are hidden, there is one that is attached to the very last hanger on the cluster **** of SCR/DOC/DPF junk that I did not see until we were already dropping everything. As far as how we took it off, we unbolted from the downpipe, then removed the short spool piece between the emissions and actual tail pipe, removed the counter weight then started dropping the emissions, took the tail pipe out last.

#8 ·
Info

I'm sure this is a dumb question, but here goes. I am curious about removing all the DPF emission crap on the truck. I know that it will void the warranty, i'm not to concerned about that, what i'm concerned about is getting it smog tested down the line. Any feed back on that would be great. Thanks :dunno:

#9 ·
Well I dont have smog tests where I live, but I'm sure you could just put the dpf back on for the test. Then once you pass, remove it again. I'm not sure how strict your test is, but I know that some guy in Colorado(I think) said he didn't pass with a dpf back exhaust because the factory tip helps reduce temp in regens mode. With this being said, make sure the exhaust is exactly how it came from the factory when you do your test.

#13 ·
You will need a tuner or else the truck will get stuck in regens mode. For the dpf delete you can get just a delete pipe which switches right out with the dpf and keeps the stock piping after that. This will still be straight piped and give it better sound but they only off this in a 4" pipe. So if u want it louder you can order a full downpipe back exhaust like I did. With a full exhaust they offer 4" or 5" with or w/o muffler. The louder and deeper sounding will obviously be the 5" w/o a muffler. There are many different setups you can go with it just all comes down to what suits you best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.