AIRAID MXP Intake System Review - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2011, 05:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ACE 6.7
AIRAID MXP Intake System Review

Just had FedEX drop it off this afternoon. Didn't quite get the install done in the half hour advertised since it was 98 degrees and 99% humidity Directions were very detailed without being complex and were easy to follow. After the install and a gallon of water to re hydrate myself it was time for the test drive. Upon first start up it seemed like the engine wanted to start quick than it was use too and had a slight cough when it did start. So I let it idle for about 10 minutes. As I started down the street I noticed how lightly I had to step on the throttle. By the time I got to the end of the street I thought I had a major problem because the brakes felt soft and I had to really get on the brakes. After running down the street I came to my next turn and realized it wasn't the brakes that was the problem it was that I was carrying an additional 10 to 15 MPH without even noticing. After about 5 miles of driving I found a dead end street and turned around. I floored it and even with an 8' bed, that wheel base didn't help those tires from going up in smoke. I was up to 70MPH in no time. The best way I can describe it is that it feels like a level 1 tune (30 - 50HP) increase. I can say the dyno that was posted doesn't do this intake justice. There is no real peak like the dyno shows just flat increase across the entire power curve. I'll be doing a roadtrip here in another week with gas mileage numbers to keep everyone informed on all aspects of the intake. Hope this helps anyone that was on the fence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2011, 11:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Thanks for the update you almost got me over the fence. Maybe your next review will.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

so no codes or anything from start ? sounds good so far.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok update: Definite more noise in the cab from the intake but nothing horrible just a nice "growl". Haven't had a great chance to check gas mileage until yesterday but seems to have fallen off a bit after intake install. Going on a 5 hour road trip for 4th of July weekend and will set the cruise to see actual gains/losses in gas mileage.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jesse@MBRP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE 6.7 View Post
Ok update: Definite more noise in the cab from the intake but nothing horrible just a nice "growl". Haven't had a great chance to check gas mileage until yesterday but seems to have fallen off a bit after intake install. Going on a 5 hour road trip for 4th of July weekend and will set the cruise to see actual gains/losses in gas mileage.
I've noticed similar results with another intake. Down 1.5 with the only change being the intake. Same driving route, speed, and weather.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse@MBRP View Post
I've noticed similar results with another intake. Down 1.5 with the only change being the intake. Same driving route, speed, and weather.
Can someone explain why, to me with the intake your truck would work less to maintain speed, unless the computer is sensing more air so it's adding more fuel. Is every seeing a loss in mileage?
Old 06-29-2011, 10:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jesse@MBRP
I have no explaination, but I just did the same 250 route that I did the week before without the intake and that's the only difference. Was getting 18.5 now getting 16.8.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroke11 View Post
Can someone explain why, to me with the intake your truck would work less to maintain speed, unless the computer is sensing more air so it's adding more fuel. Is every seeing a loss in mileage?
It's load based. If the motor was wanting to make more power because of the increase in airflow then you would need to simply push less on the accelerator to maintain the same speed. So IF the intake system is more efficient than the stocker than mileage should go up. Albeit it may only be very little but it shouldn't go down. My guess is there are other variables accounting for the loss in MPG's.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE 6.7 View Post
Soooo how did it go.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok I'll be completely up front and admit it was not the same road that I did my baseline numbers on BUT the roads I did travel I've travel hundreds of times. I know my best gas mileage is always coming back to Maryland because of the 2000+ foot elevation drop. I'm seeing about the same as others have posted about a 2 MPG drop on the highway. Conditions now were exactly the same as baseline trip: Between 70 - 75 degrees low humidity, cruise control on and sunroof and back window open and the best I could muster was 18.2 when my previous best was 21.2. I'm not happy with these results at all but the intake is still on my truck. I still have to admit the throttle response and the overall feel of the truck is still surprising. For the life of me I still can't figure out why I'm losing mileage when I know for a fact I'm easier on the throttle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.