Warranty discussion ! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 04:50 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Warranty discussion !

I always heard stories of the 6.4 having a datalogger that recorded about 30 min of data. That way I'd something happens to the truck they could check the timing and fuel maps for the last little while of run time. That would also stop people from putting there stock exsaust back on and removing programmers as the data should show lots of things out of stock spec range. Was this ever conformed to be true or was it a myth. And do the 6.7 trucks do the same thing ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100hp View Post
I always heard stories of the 6.4 having a datalogger that recorded about 30 min of data. That way I'd something happens to the truck they could check the timing and fuel maps for the last little while of run time. That would also stop people from putting there stock exhaust back on and removing programmers as the data should show lots of things out of stock spec range. Was this ever conformed to be true or was it a myth. And do the 6.7 trucks do the same thing ?
Assume yes, until proven otherwise.

Thinking about it and having no knowledge of how far back they go: Memory is cheap nowadays. How far back do you think an excel spreadsheet could go with 2 gig of memory... Pretty freakin' far. How about 16 gigs? The life of the truck could be stored in some shape or form. I don't think this will easily be revealed and I doubt a Ford Dealer Tech will know about it anyways.

As far as being able to tell, there are MANY, MANY ways to tell if the vehicle has been messed with. First of all, if you put it "back to stock" it will look like you did. Bolts will be marked up by the wrenches, the pipe coloring and dirt will not match, etc... If you blow up the motor, a forensic analysis will tell them why. Since we are not dealing with a $3k motor, if Ford smells an alteration they will investigate further. In the long run, all they have to do is win one to pay for the next several investigations.

If you play, be prepared to pay just in case.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Very well Put Dakster! Specially the Last line!

I hate to Read where people are trying to Figure out ways to be Dishonest :~(,If You can't pay to have the Truck Fixed Don't mod it simply Put!

They are wise to guys that Try to screw them Over nowa days! They are starting to ask for Pictures of the screen before they agree to fix under warranty,and I'm Glad...

Yes i will Mod the Hell Out of Mine when I get it, BUT! I will Pay if i break something!
It's all part of the game!

This is what gets me Kinda upset when people start talking Sheet about other Brands Filling bankrupt...some of this is due to them Forking Out money for warranty work that was NOT their fault... But people love to throw them on the fire every chance they get.

Replacing Broke Motors and Trannys can eat a Company alive!
Old 04-26-2011, 11:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Lead Foot: I'm with you for the most part -- if I do something to my vehicle that causes a problem, I expect to pay for it.

The problem, however, arises in those cases where the mere fact of modification is used as a basis for denial of warranty coverage, regardless of whether a causitive link exists between the modification and the problem. If you do a DPF/Urea/EGR delete, with a retune to account for the deletions (but that does not increase power) and then have an engine problem wholly unrelated to the modification, you're still likely to get a denial of coverage notice simply because they know it'll cost you more to fight about it than you'd save by suing to enforce the warranty.

I've been in a similar situation, received the denial, and have only convinced them to cover the warranty work by explaining that I understand what they're doing, and that because I'm a trial lawyer, it'll only cost me my own time to sue them (and if I win I'll get my time and expenses paid). But if you can't prosecute your own case, and aren't willing to shell out for a lawyer up front (and can't find one to do it on contingency), you're screwed.

Want to know how far they'll go: I've personally seen a denial of a claim for a defective brake rotor based on the fact that the consumer had put tires on the car that were stickier than stock.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section20a View Post
Lead Foot: Want to know how far they'll go: I've personally seen a denial of a claim for a defective brake rotor based on the fact that the consumer had put tires on the car that were stickier than stock.
Welllll...that makes sense...it was only meant to stop on a quarter, not a dime...
Old 05-01-2011, 08:00 AM
First 6.7 PS Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section20a View Post
Lead Foot:
Want to know how far they'll go: I've personally seen a denial of a claim for a defective brake rotor based on the fact that the consumer had put tires on the car that were stickier than stock.
I'd like to know if that was Ford or someone else.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticblu999 View Post
I'd like to know if that was Ford or someone else.
That particular instance was not Ford. But I wouldn't take any comfort from it - they're (manufacturers) all out to screw the consumer. The best you can do is find a dealership that cares about you and is willing to play straight.

The best personal warranty experience I had was about 10 years ago. Flubbed a downshift (at speed) in a worked Celica GTS and went from 5th to 2nd. Predictable results to the engine. Took it to the dealer, said I missed a shift and that I didnt expect the warranty to cover it. Dealer said they appreciated the honesty, and said they'd handle it with Toyota. I paid nothing. So there are dealerships out there that are worthwhile, you just have to look.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:25 PM

well the whole pay to play stuff is not always cut and dry. i baby my trucks and always have. i have had a 99 f350 then a 07 ram.. i have always put full exsaust ,aftermarket intake and programers the day i got them home. but i never ever beat on the trucks. i have had the 11 for 4 weeks now and havent even put my foot to the floor .. i just like the milage and sound i get with the aftermarket stuff.. so why should i get the warrenty voided for trying to get better fuel milage especialy when they try to denie a wiget cliam because of programmer..thats all
Old 05-09-2011, 05:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I just want the sound of a beast and cooler egts with alot better fuel mileage. My dealer told me I cant even have an intake, anything modified would for sure void warrenty. I remember seeing a post about the trucks pulling to the right. Mine does this just a little but now that I have it lifted they wont touch it. He told me Ford is hammering down on warrenty claims. Seems kinda of screwed sence I took a 2007 f250 in with all kinds of bolt ons and they worked on it no prob. oh well the truck does pretty good anyway.sssshhh I still put the intake on f**K it.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:30 AM

pay to play. easy as that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.