Problem with Pyro reading on H&S Black Maxx - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2011, 10:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Problem with Pyro reading on H&S Black Maxx

To anyone who may know...

Tonight I installed the H&S Black Maxx on my truck as well as a different exhaust... the 5" stainless exhaust (downpipe back) recommended by my H&S dealer with the DPF/DEF deleted. Everything is working as planned, no error codes, except the Pyro reading. The H&S manual indicates that with the 6.7 Powerstroke, you don't need to install a Pyro, as the H&S chip will read the built-in pyro from the factory.

At first, it was reading zero on the exhaust temp, until I switched the setting in the Black Maxx head unit to use the factory pyro. Then, once I did that, it immediately started showing the exhaust temp reading at 2700deg F. I drove the truck for about 30 minutes, ranging in speed from 20mph up to 80mph, and the exhaust temp readings remained pegged at 2700, even after the truck cooled down and was powered off.

I've tried removing the Black Maxx head unit, restarting it, etc, but with no difference. It didn't seem to matter whether the defueling settings were enabled or disabled. Not sure why the factory pyro is reading wrong in the Black Maxx.

Anyone have any experience with this? I'll try to contact H&S support too, but I don't think they're open over the weekend. Except for that one small difficulty, I love the programmer so far!!

Thanks, all!
Jon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2011, 05:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

What software level are you at?

You can find this info under the "Show Settings" menu, next to the T.V.

This will be your tuning version. You will need to be at T.V. 6.7.7 or higher to be able to take advantage of the factory pyro option. You will also need to install the pyro into the manifold, as the instructions show, to be able to monitor the EGTs.

Hope this helps.

Give us a call Monday if you can't figure it out.

Bentley
Old 03-19-2011, 05:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm actually on the latest version from your website. The instructions (which were awesome, by the way) explained that it would be best to download the newest version from the web and install them to the truck. I copied the files over to the card and then installed the download to the Black Maxx. Everything worked exactly as instructed, except for the pyro.

I'm honestly debating if it wouldn't be best just to install the Pyro that came in the package with the Black Maxx I ordered. The only problem is, I can't figure out the best way to get to the exhaust manifold without removing a whole bunch of parts from above the V in the engine. I have a feeling the H&S pyro would be the best solution in the long run anyway...

Do you have any suggestions as to how to get to the exhaust manifold without hours of work?
Old 03-19-2011, 08:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

So did you install one of the DPF pyrometers into the manifold? Or did you just update the tuner to the latest software?

You definitely can run the H&S Pyro that came with the Black Maxx, but it is a bit of a pain to install. You can put the H&S Pyro into the same manifold plate that you installed the DPF Pyro, but it will need to be tapped differently because of the different pitched threads.

Hope that makes sense, let us know if you continue to have problems, we will help in any way we can.

Bentley
H&S
Old 03-19-2011, 08:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Evidently we didn't. That was my mistake. We're installing the EGR Delete kit now and will put one of the DPF factory pyros in there. Thanks!!! That makes sense.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

That took care of it. Evidently I was just reading the instructions wrong. I was thinking there was another pyro somewhere in the truck manifold that the Black Maxx would read through the OBDII port.

The only problem we ran into... although I ordered the EGR Delete kit, the Black Maxx, and the Flo Pro exhaust from my H&S dealer, the kit itself did not come with the block off that had a place for a pyro in it. I had to drill and tap the block off plate myself to make it work. All told, it's working excellent now, but the instructions indicated there was supposed to be a block off plate with a pyro mount built into it, and I never received that. Not sure why.

All told, though, I'm VERY pleased with H&S. I bought the product because it came so highly recommended on this forum, and considering H&S Tech's response over the weekend, I have to say I couldn't be happier with the purchase. This has got to be one of my best purchases of any kind - in any category - so far.

The Black Maxx is working as designed now, without any difficulty. With the level of technical know-how it takes to do the EGR delete, I'd have expected at least minor difficulty during setup, but that just didn't happen, thanks to the clear instructions.

The instructions were top notch. The pictures, including the diagrams circling various parts, were easy to follow. Looking forward to see how the truck continues to run now!
Old 03-21-2011, 06:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

We just barely released the Pre-drilled plates for the EGT solution. I bet you got an EGR delete unit that was right on the verge of the production crossover to the new units. The production team must have stuck the EGT solution instructions in that one, but no plate.

Sorry you had to drill and tap yours. If you would like the plate that should have come with the kit, give us a call, we will get one coming to you.

Thanks for the review!
Old 03-21-2011, 10:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

One final question... when I initially accelerate the truck from a stop, I hear a squeal under the hood that sounds like a fan belt squealing. It doesn't seem to do it at a certain RPM level, or even when the truck is just parked and running.

It's possible that when I installed the EGR delete and refilled the engine coolant that I may have spilled some antifreeze on the fan belt when refilling the cooling system. But since that time, I've put nearly 250 miles on the odometer, and it only does it under initial acceleration.

Anyone else experience that? It's not enough to worry me, but I'm curious as to what it might be.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

You could also have a slight exhaust leak. Check for soot around any of the plates you have recently installed to block the EGR.

Other than that, it for sure could be a belt. I would imagine that should go away after a couple of miles though.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Good point. I'll have to check that out tonight. I may see if a buddy can run the throttle while I watch it, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.