Spartan tuned 6.7 first impressions!!!!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 03:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Spartan tuned 6.7 first impressions!!!!!!

Got to spend some time with Matt at Spartan tuning my 6.7 and here's my findings and impressions so far. To start this truck is a CC/SB with 8" of lift and American Force Supersingles with adaptors and 37" Dunlop Maxx traction tires. The truck went down from CT to Matt's in NC a few days prior to the shootout at Rudy's Diesel/ Aaron's running on a H+S mini max. On the way down the truck averaged 15.1 MPG hand calc using a Garman nav for miles travelled(speedo was still slightly off due to me playing with tire size on the H+S and gear ratio with my IDS software). After spending the day with Matt and trying a ton of different programs I left to cross NC to Rudy's Thursday night. First impressions were that the throttle was much more responsive and the turbo would spool up faster from a flat foot/dead start. Based on the smoke from the tailpipe the fueling is much more aggressive, and spool up is reduced greatly from the H+S. Next was the trip across to Rudy's, which truck ran great and seemed to "learn" and become faster and faster as I went. The transmission still seemed to love the power as it did with the H+S, and it just never missed a beat. Roll on acceleration at highway speed is nite and day different between the two programmers, at 1600 rpm it just comes on. After helping Aaron get things ready at the shop Friday, we strapped his truck to his dyno and made some pulls and got a peak HP of 468hp(no torque numbers, dyno just got installed and we were in a rush). After picking up Mike from Diesel Power, Chad from Flynn's Shop and my son at the airport we strapped my truck down and made some pulls also ending up with 464hp. I wish we took the time to get tq numbers as I believe based on driving both tuners the Spartan tune would have had high tq numbers. The tire and wheel package on Aaron's truck was a much lighter 35" ish tire on a BMF wheel, so I know my heavier rolling stock cost some hp. As another side note, my truck was only making 20ish psi boost on the Spartan tune were as it made 28-29 on the H+S. After talking to Matt Sunday, he has revised the tunes somemore and is now making 28-30 psi boost. Power is up a great deal more, can't wait to try that revised tune. The trip home was made running the Spartan tune, and Mileage was up almost 1.8 MPG, but I only checked til we got nearer to home because Sunday night traffic was stop and go. I think this is great news for 6.7 owners as competition like this creates better products for the end user! Can't wait to see what Eric and Innovative have, as I know he's close to finished also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2011, 04:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

nice words! I look forward to hearing more
Old 03-08-2011, 10:10 AM

Very interesting. I am looking forward to Spartan finishing and Innovative. I'll be glad when the 6.7 becomes like the 6.4 where everyone is on it all the time trying to do something to get more mpg or hp.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:17 AM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dereku
I wish I could buy a new truck and void the warranty right away. Where did you guys find a way to print money?
Old 03-08-2011, 10:23 AM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dereku
I am not knocking you at all I think it is sick
Old 03-08-2011, 01:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstroker67 View Post
Got to spend some time with Matt at Spartan tuning my 6.7 and here's my findings and impressions so far. To start this truck is a CC/SB with 8" of lift and American Force Supersingles with adaptors and 37" Dunlop Maxx traction tires. The truck went down from CT to Matt's in NC a few days prior to the shootout at Rudy's Diesel/ Aaron's running on a H+S mini max. On the way down the truck averaged 15.1 MPG hand calc using a Garman nav for miles travelled(speedo was still slightly off due to me playing with tire size on the H+S and gear ratio with my IDS software). After spending the day with Matt and trying a ton of different programs I left to cross NC to Rudy's Thursday night. First impressions were that the throttle was much more responsive and the turbo would spool up faster from a flat foot/dead start. Based on the smoke from the tailpipe the fueling is much more aggressive, and spool up is reduced greatly from the H+S. Next was the trip across to Rudy's, which truck ran great and seemed to "learn" and become faster and faster as I went. The transmission still seemed to love the power as it did with the H+S, and it just never missed a beat. Roll on acceleration at highway speed is nite and day different between the two programmers, at 1600 rpm it just comes on. After helping Aaron get things ready at the shop Friday, we strapped his truck to his dyno and made some pulls and got a peak HP of 468hp(no torque numbers, dyno just got installed and we were in a rush). After picking up Mike from Diesel Power, Chad from Flynn's Shop and my son at the airport we strapped my truck down and made some pulls also ending up with 464hp. I wish we took the time to get tq numbers as I believe based on driving both tuners the Spartan tune would have had high tq numbers. The tire and wheel package on Aaron's truck was a much lighter 35" ish tire on a BMF wheel, so I know my heavier rolling stock cost some hp. As another side note, my truck was only making 20ish psi boost on the Spartan tune were as it made 28-29 on the H+S. After talking to Matt Sunday, he has revised the tunes somemore and is now making 28-30 psi boost. Power is up a great deal more, can't wait to try that revised tune. The trip home was made running the Spartan tune, and Mileage was up almost 1.8 MPG, but I only checked til we got nearer to home because Sunday night traffic was stop and go. I think this is great news for 6.7 owners as competition like this creates better products for the end user! Can't wait to see what Eric and Innovative have, as I know he's close to finished also.
Sooooo... Can the rest of us lowly peasants obtain such Spartan goodies? And, while on the subject: Who's the best???

Spartan?
H&S?
KEM?
SCT?
BullyDog? jk...
Old 03-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasScorpion View Post
Sooooo... Can the rest of us lowly peasants obtain such Spartan goodies? And, while on the subject: Who's the best???

Spartan?
H&S?
KEM?
SCT?
BullyDog? jk...
I don't think we will truely know as no one is ever the BEST, look at the 6.4 tuning stuff. I can tell you I like the truck the best so far running this Spartan tune, but things always seem to change all the time. As far as an early question, how do we find the money to do this to a new truck, it's our business! The trucks are purchased and used to build parts for the aftermarket, from engine tuning to exhaust systems, EGR deletes to tranmission upgrades. These are tools used in manufacture, I still have the 2008 F450 that was used to build the first CAT/DPF delete pipes, then down pipes, then cold side I/C pipes, then I/C pipes for CFM intakes, etc........ That truck was also used to build the Suncoast torque converters that are being sold today for '08-'10 6.4 5R110's. It has less than 13000 miles and 3000miles of it was a trip to Tampa and back last year to get a friends car. Matt is waiting on Drewtech(hardware supplier) to finish stuff on there end and then it should be released to the public. Matt and I have worked on many projects in the past and knows we always are on the cutting edge to push new products forward.

Last edited by powerstroker67; 03-08-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.