Exhaust brake - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 07:36 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exhaust brake

Does anyone know of, or come up with a fix for the the exhaust brake.

I know Ford says it "works", but comeing from an 08 Dodge, I really miss an actual brake that works. I was thinking maybe a manual switch could be added that would activate it.

Came down a small hill with about 9000 pounds behinde me the other day, and i really miss a working brake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2011, 01:30 PM
Premium Member

Don't we all. The more I try and use mine, the more pissed off I get. I don't want braking assist, I want a brake works without driver input. On or off would work for me.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:22 PM

I went back to my dealer and asked the same questions. He said that they hav ebeen getting some negative feed back about this. All they can say is that Ford has some work to do.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:17 AM

So don't I to pay for this thing!!!!
Old 02-19-2011, 09:13 AM

Yes. Ford says you do. i am interested to know if Ford went to the "active decent control" because something in the current turbo can't handle the exhaust brake. IF not, then it does seem rediculous that Ford couldnt figure out how to adapt proven technolagy that has worked for 70 years. The whole point of an exhaust brake on a towing rig ( which these are suppoesed to be) is to reduce wear and strain off of the standard breaking system. The active ecent control is just a joke. Another half asssed idea, we are forced to pay for and are apearently stuck with.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:31 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm09 View Post
The active decent control is just a joke. Another half asssed idea, we are forced to pay for and are apearently stuck with.
You should try using it before you say that it's a joke. It's designed to work under 20mph for descending very steep grades; not as a substitute for the exhaust brake.

We have an old military tank testing track where I work. It has a 25 slope and a 45 slope to drive down. I can set the hill descent control at the top at 2mph and it will hold that speed the whole way down by using the ABS. Not bad for a 9000lb truck ehh?
Old 02-20-2011, 07:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I believe its suppose to be used in off road situations only..ie hunting or what ever. You can't even get it on a dually...guess they are on road only vehicles
Old 02-22-2011, 02:18 PM

The point is these trucks are designed and sold as "towing" and "work" trucks. So why when the rest of the industry is using exhaust brakes, why not Ford. You can call it whatever you want, or try to explain how another aspect of the truck "sort of" does the same thing. As for me, I think Ford dropped the ball and Dodge and GM have a better system that works very well.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm09 View Post
The point is these trucks are designed and sold as "towing" and "work" trucks. So why when the rest of the industry is using exhaust brakes, why not Ford. You can call it whatever you want, or try to explain how another aspect of the truck "sort of" does the same thing. As for me, I think Ford dropped the ball and Dodge and GM have a better system that works very well.
It's a balancing act... buy the dodge, take the money you save to perform non warrantied fuel related repairs... or pay for the gmc (again) and have the maxed out duro max...take your pic, overall the Ford is a better rig, with room for a few improvements.....keep an eye out for the improvements...
Old 02-23-2011, 05:12 AM

Well, I like the Ford so far, a few small issues, but i honestly really liked the Dodge I had as well. No problems at all. It rode rough, but never let me down. My Ford seems a bit more refined than my Dodge did.

That said, for a work/ towing truck, it did have a very functional exhaust brake, that I do miss. As i said earlier, i am curious if there is something in Fords turbo set up that can't take the strain?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.