Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Tuning my '15 w/out killing warranty?

10K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  RUFFSTUFF 
#1 ·
Is there any way to tune this without killing the warranty, or is it all at the discretion of the dealership?
Just went on our first road trip/race, and my 15 F350 CC,LB,DRW got a WHOPPING 10mpg.... I don't drive hard, I usually do 5 over speed limit max.
My old 06 F350 would get 15mpg towing!

Power wise the truck is great, but the mileage is killing me right now!

#2 ·
You can try dpf on tunes but technically that can void your warranty. Everything else will also as far as dpf delete.

#3 ·
basically the only thing you can do without voiding a warranty is adding a Cold Air Intake. Lots of guys (like myself) also use DPF-On tunes & if a problem were to ever arise, flash the computer back to stock. A dealer can always check specifically to see if the computer has been modified at all, but most seem to be pretty cool as long you weren't deleted & started taking stuff out (dpf, egr, etc)

#4 ·
I agree with the above post.

It's all at the dealer's mercy; however, tuning your vehicle is grounds to void warranty. Tuning is also traceable even if you flash back to stock. Leaves a P0000 code in the DTCs and a few other red flags can come up.

Tuning is good though......

#6 ·
I get better than that towing my 43' toy hauler. :surprise: After tuning, of course.

#7 ·
HeavyAssault- "stuff fell off" lol I love it

OP- like I said I would do a CAI & Tune. You shouldn't have any problems, especially on a '15. I've been running that setup since July 3rd & have had 0 problems on my '13. I would recommend S&B for the intake, & for an extra +6969 hp gain remove the plexi glass cover. as far as tune, I'm running the SCT X4 (#7015 for Fords) & am loving it. I run the Performance +135 hp +151 tq tune on the daily & like it a lot. I also like being able to download "other" tunes if stuff were to magically fall off like HeavyAssault's truck did. Ford should really look into that, it's affected a good amount of everyone on this forum...

#9 ·
Man, you guys are making me want stuff to fall off too!
I need to change something, I tow about every weekend from April to October, and this fuel mileage isn't going to make my wallet happy!

#13 ·
So who got +6mpg?
:umno:

#14 ·
Mk70ss says he gets over 16 towing a fairly large horse trailer.
My main point of comparison is to my 06 F350 which averaged over 15mpg towing everywhere I went.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

#16 ·
I'm towing a 15-16k lb fifth wheel and I averaged about 9.5 mpg on a 500 mile one way trip to SoCal. Going up the steep grade known as Grapevine, I was getting 3.7 mpg doing 55-60 mph. Lol

These trucks will tow a house, if you want good gas mileage get a Prius....
My only gripe is I wish my F250 had a 35 gallon tank like my F150 did.

Reactions: Ragecajun
#17 ·
I am new to the 6.7 (2016 F350 Lariat Ultimate FX4), came from a 6.0 with custom tune from Quicktricks Looney tune and IDP street tow. I was getting 16 to 17 mpg with the performance tune, I even saw 19mpg a few times and about 12mpg on the towing tune. Hauling a 23' center console that is about 6 to 7,000k lbs. this past weekend I tow the boat 2 days about 2 hours round trip each day and I only average 10mpg. What can I do????? A bit scare about tuning (warranty) but looking on a CAI and if a tuning will increase the mpg considerably I will go that route.

I was hoping with the new truck to get a better gas mileage.

#19 ·
#18 ·
jav540- you might get a +1 mpg bump on a CAI, not that big of a deal. for a little more $, you can get a tuner (SCT X4 runs $400) & see a much bigger difference & adjust to what you need. personally, I run the Performance Engine & Performace Trans settings. if I haul I switch to towing on both. adding hp (SCT claims +135 on Performance) makes your engine not work as hard = better mpg. all together with a tuner & CAI people get +2-3mpg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.