Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Rerouting Coolant Line?

8K views 38 replies 7 participants last post by  ImAti0n 
#1 ·
Hey everyone I've had my intake setup like this for a few months but now I want to actually make it right and put it underneath. It's a coolant line.

I had the truck cold and tried to remove the line but coolant kept coming out. Is there any tips to remove the line and keep it from spewing out coolant?

Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
I did the block off plates. And yeah I wanna take it under the intake but trying to find a way that when I pull it off it won't spew out tons of coolant.

#5 ·
I'll give it a shot Tuesday when I get home from work then.

#6 ·
Any reason you can't remove the intake and put it on top of the coolant line instead of removing the coolant line and putting it under the intake, it would mean no loss of coolant.

Reactions: Heavy_GD
#7 ·
Hey everyone I've had my intake setup like this for a few months but now I want to actually make it right and put it underneath. It's a coolant line.

I had the truck cold and tried to remove the line but coolant kept coming out. Is there any tips to remove the line and keep it from spewing out coolant?

Thanks
Any reason you can't remove the intake and put it on top of the coolant line instead of removing the coolant line and putting it under the intake, it would mean no loss of coolant.

The line is stiff not flexible. No Limits directions recommended using pliers to bend the line but I didn't feel comfortable doing that plus everything still fit with the line on top. I just don't like the look of it.

#8 ·
Has anyone replaced that stiff line with a flexible line? I just tried to put it underneath and couldn't make it happen. Now it's worse and rubs even more.

#10 ·
How did you end up bending it? I tried with all my muscle and that is one stiff line. If I tried to put it underneath either one of the sides would get kinked.

#12 ·
Thanks I really appreciate it. And how did you take it out? It seems crimped on both ends of the flexible rubber hose

#14 ·
I took the line off the secondary tank but it was still connected at the bottom. Not sure how you used your feet to straighten it out unless you stood inside the engine bay lol.

#15 ·
It was tough for me too. I held one end with pliers and bent the other with my hand. It was not pleasant but worked.

I was more concerned with the rough edge just above the fan that the rubber hose flexes over before diving off below the intake. Then I realized the rubber tube is lined inside with hard plastic or something. I'm still going to place some soft rubber under the line though. Holes by abrasion make me nervous.

Let me know if you need me to snap a pic!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#16 ·
Yeah if you don't mind sending pictures. I'm really irritated with the fit and the rubbing issues.

I had to change plans with my trip and take another vehicle cause of this. The coolant line is putting so much pressure on the intake it's rubbing and scraping everything putting pressure on the boot causing it to slowly slip off the compressor.

#20 ·
What year is your truck? Your coolant lines actually look different than mine in where they connect.

#18 ·
Thanks for posting those. I'm gonna have to get a better look on the iPad when I get home from this trip.

#19 ·
This is how messed up the fitment is. If it's not the hood or actual intake tube taking damage then it's this.

Time to buy a new one...

#22 ·
I will have to get you a picture of mine when i get home. I think the line runs differently on a 2015+

#24 · (Edited)
I took that hardline off and rerouted some heater hose underneath the no limit intake . Just drain the secondary radiator before hand. Mines a '15 and the coolant lines in egr are different on 15+. You can reroute the hardline underneath on the 11-14 but not on 15+. Atleast from my experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#28 ·
Jwalk thank you for the reply. That's what I was looking for. My two questions for you.

Any heater hose from an auto parts store will do?

How do I remove the hard line from the crimping on both ends?

And did you just refill the secondary coolant tank with the red coolant from Ford? I've heard of mixing distilled water etc..

Also the filter was due to the tight fit with that coolant line and the filter rubbing up on the battery tray. One of the reasons why I decided to tackle this project and move that line underneath to get a better fit.

#29 ·
I used 3/4" heater hose from autozone.
Since mine is a '15 the coolant line goes from the reservoir directly to the radiator, unlike the 11-14s where the line goes to the egr cooler. This is how a 15 looks

So I took the entire hardline out and replaced it with heater hose. You should be able to bend the line since it's a '14 a little and trim the upper part of the fan shroud to let the line tuck under more. But I'm sure you can still replace with heater hose if you wanted. I had a new, clean bucket I drained the coolant into and just refilled it. And the coolant is premixed. Atleast the bottle I got from the dealer is and does not need diluting.

#30 ·
Awesome thanks jwalk. My truck is a 2015 so the line is pretty stiff. I'm gonna head to AutoZone in a little to pick up the heater hose.

As far as removing the hard line do I just remove the clamps on both ends and remove? Or does the the hard line that connects on the radiator side have to be cut?

#31 ·
Oh sorry I thought you said you had a 14 but that was someone else. Yeh just drain the secondary radiator, remove clamp where line connects to reservoir and clamp where it goes into the radiator, remove entire hose and replace with heater hose with new clamps. I zip tied it some to make sure it was clear of everything

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.