Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Full delete and wanting tunes with NO smoke

29K views 91 replies 19 participants last post by  tmangus 
#1 ·
Alright, I've searched and no straight forward answers. I'm a complete tuning novice and I've also just messaged a vendor with not enough "after hours" time for them to respond. Is anyone running a full delete with a tune that has no smoke? Ideally zero smoke? I understand haze and small puffs and all but I'd really like a good and truly no smoke tune. Does this even exist? Research says it's possible and been done. Were they referring to just a haze? If so that's really petty good and I'd like to get to that point if it can't be better. Then the holy grail beyond that is this possible to have no smoke and add a good single turbo kit into the mix?

#2 ·
@Jeremy@NoLimit

I got all my stuff from them and run the Gearhead tunes. Unless I run it on the Race tune it doesn't smoke at all really. Most of the tunes for these trucks are no smoke tunes anyway.

#5 ·
Jeremy,

Any risk in running the race tune while not towing with no head studs? I know on the 6.4 and 6.slow it was a risk. But haven't heard much about the risk of the race tune on a 16. I don't drag race my truck or dog it or tow heavy but I do like to get on it for a few seconds every now and then.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#4 ·
Run gear head tunes with zero smoke. I think it creates a little more turbo lag but they are clean as a whistle. I haven't tried race tune though.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: gratitudefortoday
#7 · (Edited)
I bought my SCT from nolimitfab and all of my tunes bellow smoke out when I first stomp on it. Unless I really ease into it, I get smoke every time on take offs. The problem is that it runs way way to rich until the turbo kicks in then it leans out and stops smoking.

I also don't like the firm shifting on the Street and Performance tunes.

What kind of gas mileage are you guys getting with gear heads tunes? Are the gear heads tunes for SCT or H&S?

#12 ·
Thanks for the input guys! Most def sounds like I should run GH tunes. Are you guys getting no smoke on stock 11-14 turbos? Mine's a 12 and am wanting to put on an H&S single turbo kit. It sounds like with good tuning we can get that kit to be smoke free. Any one have a bigger turbo kit and still remain smoke free?

#23 ·
Would running down the highway on a Race tune cause the EGT temps to get too high? I've been on the Race tune for a couple weeks and when I'm running 80-85mph on the highway I worry about the EGT's since I can't monitor them yet on my Livewire.

Reactions: gratitudefortoday
#28 ·
I have GH tunes for SCT from No Limit and have zero smoke. I am fully d****** and have the Industrial Injection single turbo kit. It is non VGT and even if I hammer it from a dead stop there is only a puff of smoke. Shifting leaves A LOT to be desired but I need to call NL and have them make some changes, just haven't had time. Tunes make a huge difference, I used to have a Torque Tech T1 and it would look like a tire fire coming from the tailpipe there was so much smoke. Gave new meaning to rolling coal. A small part of me would have liked to do a burn out with duel fuelers and that tuner, it would have been epic. :wink:

#30 ·
Give us a call boss. These are some of the first nonvgt tunes for the 6.7 from GH. Very good reviews so far!

#34 ·
Great talking with you boss!! Truck is going to rip when you're done! Pics and vids will be required!

#35 ·
Yeah buddy, thanks for your guidance! Im all jazzed up starting to see my truck mod dreams coming together from a 3 year wait from when i first got it. That whistle and power though!!>:) I'll get it all together and cleaned up then, heck yeah, I'll post some pics and vids.

Reactions: Jeremy@TDA
#36 · (Edited)
Alright! I just ordered my full setup from Mike @ NL. With all your helpful input I'm going with the GH tunes as I've gotten good feedback about them being very smoke free. Thanks for helping me out with questions @Jeremy@NoLimit. I also got some good background info about the turbo, and more real world experience with the H&S 64 Pius Bell kit, from talking with @jcain. Thank you all. I'm really looking forward to making some good smoke free power! I'll let you all know how it turns out in a few weeks.

Also thanks to NL for hooking me up with a good package deal!

Reactions: Jeremy@TDA
#37 ·
I finally put mine into the race setting today, it only smokes the tires :surprise:

But really I need traction bars and a locker.

#38 ·
i haven't been on here in awhile. Does H&S finally sale tunes for the 15-16 trucks?

#40 ·
H&S Performance doesn't sell tunes or tuners any more and probably never will. H&S Motorsports makes all kinds of hardware components for our trucks though. Lol, some very sweet components at that!

#42 ·
Yeah my trans has been fine in all 3 modes, I don't have to suspension to run race daily. Hot street isn't bad but I'll probably stay in regular street.

#44 ·
Yeah I have 12.5 wides and I could break the back tires lose going 45-50 mph under a hard throttle. At a stop if you accelerate at over 30% my tires just wanted to spin, I don't have the f4x so no e diff (or limited slip?) Maybe a softer sticky(420/at2/rt) tire would help but I need an MT for the adverse weather and weekend driving I do.

But I could also feel my back end wrap the axle as it would squat the rear of the truck on a launch/hard acceleration.

#45 · (Edited)
I've got some 37x12.5" coming but they're RT so hopefully, like you said, a softer tire will help hold traction. That and some limited slip. Sounds like you've got some really strong tunes. What are you running, how do you like them and how smokey are they?

Haha, duh, I see the answer to the GH part of the question.
LMAO, I went back to like post 3 and you answered the smokey part too.

#46 ·
Yeah I did the full no limit package zero smoke, all in all maybe 10-12 hours on total install another 3-4 on my lift and tires. Id also say I need new rear shocks which could also be hurting my traction problem as the ones on it are original.

#48 ·
better matching the fuel to boost levels = less smoke, power levels would be better with no smoke as nothing is wasted in the burn process. Having turbo lag would result in smoke as too much fuel and not enough air results in smoke.

#49 ·
Yeah buddy^^^^

Hey do you use any kind of fuel additive? Stands to reason some Archoil treatment, combined with good tunes, would aid in a more complete fuel ignition and further reduce smoke.

#50 ·
Just stared to read this thread and was interested. I'm running Gearhead and their modified tow tune for the stage 2 intake. Never had any problems with it but today I noticed smoke when I got on it. Just a small puff. Nothing major. Not sure if it's been there the whole time or if I just noticed it cause I moved my mirror recently.

#52 ·
Noticed it on the freeway and from a stop on the freeway. No trans tune. Just the Gearhead tow tune via SCT Livewire.

And yes it cleans up. Just a puff then nothing else.

#62 · (Edited)
that's exactly what I have with zero smoke on my 11, what boost levels are you seeing? Has the air filter been cleaned/replaced recently?

#70 ·
Turbo dropping out every time

I've got the SCT X4 tuner and NL block & DPF delete and I can't do what y'all are talking about. My turbo drops out at about 2500 RPMS every damn time. No Limit said they can't solve it and neither has anyone else. I've read some threads where this was happening to guys that were pulling but they mentioned other symptoms and they never mentioned what fixed it. This is very frustrating cause I've done the same thing so many other people have but can't duplicate the results. If someone would help me I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

2012 6.7.
120k miles.
KN air induction
NL EGR block
DPF delete
SCT x4 tuner
Gear head tunes. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

#72 ·
I've got the SCT X4 tuner and NL block & DPF delete and I can't do what y'all are talking about. My turbo drops out at about 2500 RPMS every damn time. No Limit said they can't solve it and neither has anyone else. I've read some threads where this was happening to guys that were pulling but they mentioned other symptoms and they never mentioned what fixed it. This is very frustrating cause I've done the same thing so many other people have but can't duplicate the results. If someone would help me I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

2012 6.7.
120k miles.
KN air induction
NL EGR block
DPF delete
SCT x4 tuner
Gear head tunes. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
Dude, that sucks. So, has it ever worked right? Did you buy the tuner/tunes brand new from NL?

#78 ·
I just did a full delete using SCT X4 tunes from Rudys Diesel. I've only had it in "street" so far and about 50 miles on it. I notice it shifts really hard from 1st to 2nd and down shifts hard from 6th to 5th. It pushes out some smoke when I mash on it but it's light enough smoke to still see through it. I'm going to try the "tow" tune soon and see if that changes the hard shifting. Can someone tell me how to change tunes? Do I just change from one tune to the other or do I have to do the "install this tune first" tune then change tunes?

#82 ·
Right on, are you loving or hating the engine tuning? Did you do some trans tuning? I know my brand new truck hard shifted at different places for a while. We've got a "smart" transmission. Regardless you should give your trans a good simple 3 step relearn. So, the main question I've got is are you running like Smokey the Bear or not smokey at all?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.