Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

5 star tuning - DPF on reviews

62K views 240 replies 46 participants last post by  CJF 
#1 · (Edited)
Just wanted to post some preliminary results regarding the tunes I loaded onto my truck.

As the subject stated, these are DPF tunes and have been running the performance tune for about 3 weeks now. I normally don't drive my truck much but since getting the tuner, I've put some miles on it specifically to make sure I was happy with everything.

I wanted to start tracking my regens as I've read and been told that regens do not happen as often. So after my 1st regen with the tunes that I made sure I drove to completion, I began tracking.

Typically I would regen every 350 miles or so, at a maximum, every 18-20 gallons of diesel fuel used.

I'm very happy to report that I was able to go 462 miles before my next regen with this tune. I did get on it 4-5 times to feel the extra power but tried to maintain the same habits to track properly. Not only was I able to achieve approximately 110 more miles before a regen, my regen time was cut down from 22-23 miles to 18.9 miles.

So as of the first full regen after tuning, I am able to go 30% further with a regen lasting 15% less distance.

Using the Ford display since I had my dealer add the dpf% to the productivity screen, when it gets to 100%, it actually says "Exhaust Filter Full". Within about 30 seconds of it saying that, the regen kicks in.

The nice thing about this over using an app or the CTS/CTS2 is that the % doesn't go above 100 or into the negatives when it is cleaned. My regen started (verified through my cell phone app) and the regen completed as the exhaust filter showing 25% full. It continued to burn down to 20% and then started to climb from there.

I've now gone 170 miles and my DPF % has gone from 20% up to now 40%. I've only jumped 20% where normally I would be half way there to regen (to use the same scale, I'd be at 60%+). Doing the math and yes I understand that the % "could" climb faster but at this rate, I won't hit 100% until I hit the 600 mile mark+/-.

I'm VERY happy with how the extra power has decreased the regens.. being able to almost double my mileage means 50% less regens which is nothing but healthy for the truck.

Now in regards to the trans shifting.. man does this truck shift incredibly well. Driving to my house I have this 5% grade hill where the speed limit is 35mph. typically do 40-42mph on this road and when you hit this grade, it does a 70 degree turn to the right so you are going up and to the right for a good 30 seconds. My truck used to bog down badly in 6th gear to about 37-38mph before it would downshift.

The truck now downshifts to 5th gear at 45mph and down to 4th gear around 39mph. There is zero bog, it shifts smoothly and shifts when it should. No more 900rpm @40mph in 6th gear trying to go uphill. The truck does not upshift to 6th gear until you reach 45-46mph now so you are constantly in 5th at the 39-45mph range which is a huge improvement.

For those who don't want to delete, can't recommend this enough. Looking forward to further tracking to see where I average out at.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the review and your 5-Star Performance tune has similar characteristics to my 5-Star Daily Tow tune. I seem to hit regens at 516 miles from start to start. I think if I counted from the end of a regen to the start of the next, I would see 500 miles which seems to be where Ford thinks is as far as we should go. This time of year is not a good time to measure fuel mileage because of warm up idling and 4WD. But I do seem to stay around 18.7 vs 19.5 in the summer.

#5 ·
Yes it still works as it did prior to tuning.

#7 ·
Yes, torque management is drastically reduced.

#8 ·
Interested in mileage reports as well. Stock tuning I'm netting 11-12 in town and 15 on the freeway. Hell of a deal at $430 and have heard two or three good remarks towards them.

#28 ·
No way to measure in the short term. I get about 6,300 miles per tank of DEF.. only put on a little over 500 since the tune and I filled it up within the past 1,000 miles to the top.

#11 ·
I'll throw in my 2 cents as well. I've been running the performance tune for a couple of weeks now in city only driving. I've averaged about 15mpg where I would usually get around 14. I can't say the tuner provided a 1 mpg gain as different levels of traffic can really effect the mileage in my area. I will also say that I just had my first regen since the tune and it came in at 430 miles. Again, I'm not sure how the tune effected this either, as my winter regens have been all over the place in the 4 winters I have had my truck. If it is really cold I get about the same number of miles between regens without the tune. In the summer I usually get a consistent 250 miles between regens, so that is when I will really be able to be tell if it is helping or not.
I will say that the tune definitely has made the throttle response, shift patterns, and torque mgmt much better. That alone is worth the price to me. It is just a more enjoyable driving experience. Any gains in regen distance and MPG will be a bonus.

#12 ·
This is all just really good news, I'll be ordering my new '16 F350 CC Dually by April, don't want to delete .....well I do but I won't due to the warranty. My question to the OP, is this 5 star tune you're running at present the tow tune that gives you 40 hp and 85 trq.?

If so it obviously works very well for the regens and the trans. and overall better for the trucks longevity..... but would Ford consider this small amount of tune a warranty breaker if the engine went into the stiction/shuddering problem or dropped a valve etc? I've read that the dealer can't pull up the tuning info but Ford can.

Also thanks for the in-depth review, specially having Ford add the DPF% to the display screen, why it isn't done at the factory is beyond me. I think anything an owner can do to make his truck more enjoyable to drive along with the ability to allow it to work easier is a plus in anyone's book. I'm looking forward to more updates on this from the OP and other owners who have this 5 Star tune......Dave

#13 ·
I'm currently running the Performance Tune which is 90/170 if my memory serves me correctly. I won't use the tow tune unless I'm pulling my camper.

Anything can be a warranty breaker but remember this tune is very conservative and also, a tune is only as powerful as your right foot.

Also remember that currently order banks are scheduled to open on April 13th for the 2017s which the previous model usually stops taking order 7-10 days prior. If the 4/13 date holds true, you will want to place your order at the end of March or first few days of April. Also keep in mind that as a MY winds down and gets close to the end of it's cycle, colors/options typically start to become unavailable as they balance out the options.. meaning they don't order more parts etc for a 16 so once they are gone, they are gone. You may not be able to get everything you want the way you want it including color if you wait right to the end.

#14 ·
The OP is running the 5-Star Performance tune. I am running the 5-Star Daily Tow tune and haven't tried the Performance tune yet. My results are very similar especially in regard to the great transmission tuning that gets rid of the bogging in 6th gear issue with the stock tune. So no bogging, better MPG, fewer regens and a way better driving experience about sums it up for me.

#15 ·
Gotcha both on all accounts, in reg. to the ordering time frame, I'm just kind of "on the fence" so to speak as I'm waiting to see how my financials are going to be next month. Also on how much I can sell my "old timer" '02 F250 4x4 7.3 for a partial down payment. I can guarantee that I won't wait too long as I'm keeping pretty close touch with my local salesman.

So blwnsmoke, do you think you you would have the same type of drivability and regen function with the tow tune as compared to the perf. tune.....and why the daily use of the perf. tune other that it's obviously just more fun to drive it that way. My right foot is not as heavy as it used to be, never really was too heavy anyway. I'm building another vehicle to have fun with, '32 Victoria with a 507" Cadillac. thanks for the info to both of you guys......Dave

Attachments

#16 ·
Couldn't tell you that but as skismuggs stated, he is running the tow tune (he recommended 5star to me) and sees the same type of gains.

It's not even the fact that it's "more fun" rather that if I need the power, it is there but as I stated before, I didn't change my driving habits with exception to 4 or 5 good acceleration runs to see how the truck performed. The biggest reason for me is for highway merging.. being able to go from 30-70mph quickly when needed is why I run it. Plus why not?? Again, my right foot dictates the power used so there is really nothing to stop me from mimicking the tow tune by not accelerating as fast.

#18 ·
I've read that Ford engineers can see things like maximum boost in the PCM if they were to investigate a catastrophic failure. In that regard, the 5-Star Daily Tow has a lower boost limit than does the Performance. Whether that amounts to anything or not, I have no idea.
When I tuned my F150 Ecoboost, I was changing tunes like underwear for a year or two. Then I settled on a tow tune and left it as it best suited my needs of not having to change tunes for towing and still having a much better driving experience than stock.
If I were still into on the road "kills", I might do it different. If that RAM wants to beat me from a light, it is his engine, not mine. Still, he is going to have to be tuned. LOL!

Reactions: ericspainter
#20 ·
PM sent with link.
The device connects to the ODBII port to upload to the PCM. It connects to your Windows PC via USB to update the SCT X4 tuner.

#21 ·
If what I read is semi-gospel the stock 6.7 is 440 hp and 860 trq. and then you add the 5 Star tow tune which is an extra 45hp and 85 trq. = 480 hp and 945 trq!! That would be more than plenty for me just cruising into town or pulling my 5th wheel. I really like how it affects the transmission shift points. I was looking on 5 Star and the Edge Insight CTS 2 is $399, the dash pod is $50. So how much is the tuner with the 3 tunes?

#22 ·
$429.99 plus $10 shipping with the 3 custom tunes included. I was debating on deleting which the X4 is $399.99 plus tunes so if I choose to go the delete route I've only lost $30-$40 since I can just buy the delete tunes and load them.

keep in mind the tow tune is RWHP not at the crank like Ford advertises so it is actually higher at the crank then 480/945. the 45/85 or so should be about 55/100 +/- at the crank.

I know Ford is running over 500/1000 on their preproduction SDs for 2017.. I'll be curious what they actually release but the fact is they are running them so clearly it isn't an issue.

#23 ·
Thanks blwnsmoke, hate to sound like a dumbchit but I know nothing about this stuff. I put a chip in the computer of my '02 and off I went. So you can buy the Edge Insight CTS 2 from 5 Star with the three tunes already loaded for $429.99? The hp/trq. rating is more than enough for me but it will be interesting to see if Ford has had to do any upgrading inside the engine for reliability issues. You would think that after the stiction/regen/dropped valve problem they would definately get their chit together on the '17 engine........film at 11!

#24 ·
No, the CTS2 is just a monitor and if you want one, you need to buy that separate which runs about $400 as well. This is strictly a handheld tuner for $429 with the 3 tunes on it. I have an 8" tablet as well as my cell phone that I use to monitor my truck when towing. With the DPF % added to my screen, I really have no need to monitor anything without towing as my EGTs will always be in line.

#33 · (Edited by Moderator)
Take a look here for instructions, towards bottom

#35 ·
Hey thanks blwnsmoke....and Larry, I wrote that info down to have my dealer do the same thing. Good info to have when you're getting close to your destination and you can see if you're going to go into a regen near that time. Do you have an APP on your phone that lets you do a forced reg. or does the Edge Insight CTS2 allow you to do it?

#36 ·
You would need the CTS2 to do a forced regen and even then, you have to be in park with the hood up to do it. Frankly a complete waste of fuel. I'd rather run an errand and take the long way to it and complete the regen then waste 2 gallons of diesel in my driveway.

#38 ·
Now wouldn't that be something! Say your DPF is getting full and you are 30 miles from a city where you will just be short tripping, just trigger a regen and arrive with a clean DPF.

#40 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.