Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

5"/4" Exhaust

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  BigGreen06 
#1 ·
Just looking for opinions on exhaust, I'm really stuck over which size, I know that there is no difference between the two other than look, and maybe a little bit deeper exhaust sound from the 5". I just don't know if I will want the 5" after getting the 4". On my previous trucks it has always been 4". Trying to decide between the 5" Dual Flo-Pro Aluminum, and the 4" Dual Flo-Pro 409 SS. Both kits are down-pipe back.
Any ideas, pics, opinions would be helpful.

#2 ·
I would say 5" all day! I love mine on my 6.4 and if anything it just looks better IMO. Then you can put Flo-Pro's 6" tips that are 18" long on it and it won't look like you are trying to hard (i.e. 4" pipe with a 6" tip) or you can just leave it with no tips if that is the look you are going for and it will still look great! JMO

#4 ·
The stock down pipe is 3.5", correct? Will that be a problem, for the 5" pipe?
Also, I'm just curious about longevity of the pipes, I live in upstate NY, and they are VERY LIBERAL with salt in the winter. I generally don't spray off the undercarriage as much as I should. So I'm just wondering what the expected lifetime is going to be, if I keep the truck for another 5-7 yrs? I know SS lasts a bit longer than Aluminum, even though the immediate removal of the polish on 409 SS is unavoidable, and the pipes look horrible.

#6 ·
I'm running the 4" Flo-Pro SS on mine. Just the stock delete pipe. Still running the factory back half of my exhaust. It looks stock, sounds great and is only noticeable inside the cab under hard acceleration. No drone or anything at highway speeds.

#7 ·
I like the look of the duals, that's the only reason that I'm looking at the two different duals setups.

Thanks for the opinions guys.

#8 ·
I went with 4'' duals for a simple reason - if you go with 5'' duals you have to ditch your spare tire. granted I've never ended up using a spare on any of my vehicles in my 12 years of driving but with my luck the day i don't have a spare will be the day I need it. plus I'm on the road for long trips way to much to risk it

#11 ·
Well fortunately for me, I don't need to worry about the spare, thats in the bed, and my K3LAs are mounted where the spare used to be. As long as those are out of the way, the 5" should be fine.

#12 ·
I went 4" because I wasn't sure how close the 5" would be to my spare and to my air bags. Love how these trucks sounds when starting in colder weather.

Sounds like a jet plane, hauls like a freight train.

Reactions: CBR
#13 ·
Well after talking with a tech from Flo-Pro, that actually had a 2015 F350 in his shop recently for the 5in duals, said he had to remove the customers train horns in order for the pipes to fit. He said the pipes on the 5in are bent different than the 4in. So I guess I am going with the 4in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.