Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Whole package reliability mods?

9K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  fishman 
#1 · (Edited)
Very rarely post on the forums, I spend most of my time reading through posts and haven't had a real need to post until now. I have a '13 with just over 33k miles, and the good ol' ball and chain just gave me a blank check to do what I want with the truck, no questions asked!

I daily drive the truck about 15 miles one way to work, with about half of that being highway. During the short Alaska summer, I pull a 30' toy hauler every weekend, loaded to the gills with a RZR, 2 quads and a couple of dirt bikes.

First step I want to take are to make the truck more reliable with deletes and filtration in mind. I have already installed a 50 gal titan tank for the long hauls, but I want even more piece of mind that I will make it wherever I want to go. I have spent the last few weeks researching and talked to Mike at No Limit on the phone and I think I have a good idea what I want, just want some real world input as well. Here is the parts list I am looking at:

-SCT X4 w/ Gear Head tunes
-Insight CTS 2
-EGT Probe
-No Limit Stage 2 Intake
-H&S Cold Intercooler Pipe
-H&S Fuel Filter Replacement Unit
-FloPro 5" Turbo Back

I believe this setup will cover the basics of what I am looking for, just want to make sure I get everything right the first time. I had an SCT X3 and CTS on my 6.0 and liked it, but would occasionally have trouble changing tunes. Anyone experience this on the X4 with the 6.7? I don't mind having to hand jam the tunes when I tow, but can't afford to be stuck on a friday afternoon with a tune that won't load and all tech support in the lower 48 is closed for the weekend. I know a lot of people say go with H&S Mini Maxx and never look back, but it just seems like it's not worth the money for what you get. The biggest real advantage I can find is tune on the fly which isn't that important to me as long as the X4 is reliable and consistent.

Also, I just read through the 9 page thread about the NL stage 2 intake fitment issues/potential Gear Head tunes lagging from a stop. How many of you have had issues with this on pre '15 trucks and did the updated tunes actually fix the problem? Anyone have these issues with Gear Head tunes using other intakes aside from No Limit?

I know a lot of parts lists are built on opinion, but I am just looking for some further advice. Any more "reliability" mods you guys would recommend? Any on the list that aren't needed? The only thing I am having a problem with now is getting the exhaust up here to AK, all shipping quotes would cost an arm and a leg. I will be searching and researching for another week or two before I take the plunge, just want to make sure I cover all basis while the wife is in a good mood!

See less See more
#2 ·
Throw in a Crank Case Vent kit and you've pretty much covered the majority.

#3 ·
Well, from the looks of it you have everything but the CCV and possibly a newer 2015 style turbo. The shafts of the smaller GT32 style turbo aren't near as strong as the newer style GT37 turbos. The main issue was with the tuning previously on the smaller turbos and they couldn't handle the higher boost levels that the tuners were pushing them with. I believe they got it all figured out now with the tunes but the GT37 turbo is more reliable. There a couple of forums on here that talk about the differences in turbos as well as the over boosting in the smaller turbos. Let us know what you decide and there are a few site vendors that will help your decisions.

#4 ·
I hadn't heard of the CCV kit but I will definitely look into adding that to my list. I don't think I will have the need to upgrade to a 2015 turbo, not yet at least. Right now I am just looking to taking power up a little bit, but my focus is mostly on reliable power, and I won't be pushing this oem turbo too much.

I had read many posts saying that Gear Head tunes were the way to go, but now it seems more and more people are having some issues. Does anyone have any hands on experience with the new Spartan nGuage?

#6 ·
Hey man! CCV is going to keep the oily mist from the crank case from getting into your intercooler, pipes, turbo, etc. Absolutely worth it! The GH tunes have had a few issues here and there but almost all have been fixed. We are working with GH and customers on others. I just put the Spartan nGauge on my personal truck and absolutely love it! Hit me up if you have anymore questions or concerns bro!

#7 ·
I would recommend the XRT with Gearhead and a CTS 2. Save a couple bucks on the tuner and still get an H&S with good tunes. The CTS will show more parameters at one time than the MM.

Well, from the looks of it you have everything but the CCV and possibly a newer 2015 style turbo. The shafts of the smaller GT32 style turbo aren't near as strong as the newer style GT37 turbos. The main issue was with the tuning previously on the smaller turbos and they couldn't handle the higher boost levels that the tuners were pushing them with. I believe they got it all figured out now with the tunes but the GT37 turbo is more reliable. There a couple of forums on here that talk about the differences in turbos as well as the over boosting in the smaller turbos. Let us know what you decide and there are a few site vendors that will help your decisions.
The turbos were changed in 2013 and Gearhead tunes control the boost until the RPMs get up so the turbo doesn't spin too fast with unbalanced pressures. The 13-14 turbos are much more reliable than the 11-12s.

You won't find too many 6.7 PSD guys using Spartans, not sure why.
Quite a few are dumping the SCT for Spartan and really seem to like the change. There was a gap in support for the newer models from 13-15 until just a couple months back. Starting to seem like the go to for the 15-16s.

#8 ·
Something i might add for reliability purposes, look into getting a mishimoto radiator! I have a '13 and back in December at approximately 70k miles the bottom driver side corner started to leak. I have heard it is a common problem with the 6.7 as is with every other powerstroke! Mine was actually dripping ever so slowly until it started making small puddles. I bought the mishimoto and overall fit and finish was perfect! Not a hard job at all and really worth it.

#9 ·
Thank you for all your input gentlemen. After searching around on this forum and others I think I have decided what parts I am going to start out with-

Spartan nGauge
FloPro 5" Stainless Steel
No Limit Stage 2 Intake
No Limit EGR Delete
No Limit CCV Kit
H&S Fuel Filter Kit
H&S Intercooler pipe

Seems like guys are really liking these nGauges and they shift on the fly capability (while not a decision maker) will be a nice option to have when it comes out! Definitely excited to help this truck run better and see what this 6.7 is all about!

#12 ·
BLANK CHECK! Hell, I'm wondering if she has a sister!!! >:)

Reactions: Grish76
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.