Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Used intake, straight pipe, and SPARTAN dashDAQ experience

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  x-SYOTOS-x 
#1 ·
Just thought I'd make a post about my experiences using used equipment!
I have a 2012 f-350 SRW 6.7.

I dealt with spartan, it was a 3 week process before I could actually put the tuner in my truck. I had to wait for spartan to contact the previous owner, get the truck info, online account information all settled, and pay 250$ to activate it.
The difficult part was deleting/loading the files on/off the SD card that the tuner uses. If the files aren't in perfect order, the tuner doesn't read the files when it's plugged into the truck.

I put the tuner on the "120hp dpf on" tune, before i did the AFE intake. It was having serious issues even moving. Thankfully it was during spartan tech hours and they explained that the tune was experiencing "problems" lol.
After spending a little over 40 minutes tuning the truck (20 minutes for each tune), I had successfully downloaded the 50hp dpf on.

The truck ran really bad (in my views), here's why:
Really hard shifts, trouble finding gears, hard downshifts, and no real power increase.

I decided that maybe I should do the I take and see if that helps. It made it worse. Felt like it was getting to much air and nowhere for it to go. Too end was worse than stock.

I was waiting on a friend to help do the exhaust so it was a few days later before I could get to the 4" down pipe back DPF delete. I'm in Ontario, and have serious rust problems, I had to torch off all the bolts, and took the hangers off the frame. Took about 2 hours. Putting the exhaust back on took 15 minutes.

I did the DPF off 165hp before I started and had no issues when I started the truck. Truck runs better than stock, transmission is 100times better, and shifts great under WOT. I'm extremely happy with the truck now that all three components are done. My tires and traction control hate me ATM lol
I was getting 15MPG before all the mods, with extremely light driving. So far I'm holding at 15MPG while HAMMERING at all the stoplights lol

I'm pretty happy with the truck, and the help from spartan, they walked me through all the steps to get my truck where it is now, I had tons of questions and problems trying to get things in working order.

Thanks for lookin guys, I'll try to answer any questions I can!

See less See more
#2 ·
Just thought I'd update and say that I've put over 1200 miles on the truck since these mods!
I'm getting 17MPG in town, and averaged 21.8MPG hwy over 300miles with 2 hours of in town "stop and go" driving included.
Thanks

#3 ·
Hand calculate you're mileage and you'll be disappointed in your mileage numbers. The Spartan Tuners mess-up the mileage computer on your truck, causing it to read 3 to 5 mpgs more than you're actually getting.

I know, from running one on 6 different trucks for close to 200,000 miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.