Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Sinister EGR delete review and info that applies for those with Spartan tune...

13K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  nelson1each 
#1 ·
Ok so I got the time to do the Sinister EGR delete on my truck today. Took me about 4 hours. Had my father in law for an extra set of hands and we took our sweet time. The radiator drain valves are a pain, especially the passenger side...need to turn 90 degress then pull out a bit before they turn the other 90 degrees needed to drain...if you get to 180 and they are not draining go back 90 and pull out a bit more then continue to turn again the other 90 degrees. The hose clamp that is on the lower part of the radiator is a pain in the butt...I took the advise others have posted and removed the grill and passenger side head light, certainly helps but still a pain. The instructions talk about loosening a 10mm nut on the back side of the egr...I spent 30 mins wrenching on that thing a 1/4 turn at a time before I realized it only needs to be loosend as the bracket that is attached to it is a hook so the nut doesn't need removed only loosened. I took a picture of the back side so you can see what your working with. Other than what is previous mentioned the install is pretty straight forward and pretty easy...should've done it before I lifted as working off a ladder is a pain. Read the diesel supplement owners manual for coolant refill procedures...need to run the truck 2 min at a time at 2000 rpms to get the coolant topped off properly. For those running the Spartan tuner....we need an additional coolant part that is purchased from street diesel performance...you can see the tube in the picture with the sinister parts...this tube is needed as the coolant sensor needs to be removed from the egr and insterted in this pipe. this is because Spartan monitors the ECT1 temp and without this you will get a check engine light. So instead of installing the blue sinister hose the street diesel comes with a nice pre bent napa hose that attaches to the pipe then a small hose that attaches the pipe to the lower radiator. Also Spartan tuned folks due not unplug the orange plug that goes to the butterfly valve...I did so(which is another thread I made) and the truck will run really week. I would say that both the sinister delete and the coolant tube required appear to be pretty quality parts. I notice the ECT1 temp seems to be about 6-10 degrees cooler depending how much I have my foot into it. Only have a few miles on it so ill post back after I get some more miles on with this delete. Sure frees up a lot of space under the hood and I can see that future projects, such as a new turbo, will be easier due to the hippy crap being out of the way. Here our some pics...

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
More pics....the last pic is the back side of the egr so you can see what your working with...the stud that is on the left side..(as pictured, in the truck it would be on the right side when removing it) is where the 10mm nut that needs to be loosend...once loosend you will be able to twist and move the egr around enough to get it free from the bracket. I had read that it was quite difficult to get removed but I was lucky...having an extra set of hands to help move it around we had it out in a few minutes. Ill post back after I get some more miles on it.

Attachments

#5 ·
an update for my review...the owners manual makes mention in the coolant refill procedure to check the coolant level after a few periods of driving and letting the vehicle completely cool off...this morning I checked and the level had dropped a bit and I added about a quart between the two systems...ill check again tomorrow and suspect ill have a bit more to add again as I have about a quart left from the original drain. I also noticed quite a bit lower coolant temps today...can only assume the additional quart helped get them lower...I am seeing ect1 readings in the 70's...which is almost 20 degrees cooler than before I deleted...will continue to monitor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.