Maximum boost on 2012 6.7 ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion (2011-2016) 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-11-2013, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Maximum boost on 2012 6.7 ?

Hi, just interested what max boost you get when towing. Just over weekend I had first trip with 6.7 to pull my 5th TH and saw maximum 21 PSI boost going over mountains . Is that normal or should go higher ? If so, it is possible to run higher boost with some electronic upgrade ?
milos
milosusa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 04-11-2013, 01:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 387
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First and foremost, this is not meant to offend the OP in any way. Just a quick bit of information in an attempt to combat a lot of misinformation about diesels.

Boost does NOT equal power. Boost pressure is a sign of restriction, not air flow. Especially in the case of a variable geometry design turbo, boost numbers should not be trusted as a measure of gaining horsepower. With an electrically controlled turbo system, the ECM is attempting to achieve a designated pressure value at all times. If you are outside of a threshold range of desired boost, the ECM will use gain values to open or close the turbo geometry to bring pressure back within range. Suffice it to say that whatever boost your truck is running, is EXACTLY what your ECM is commanding it to run (otherwise you would get a check engine light)

SOOO, to gain more boost, it will close the vanes. Less boost = open vanes. In programming we can command the VGT to provide 60psi of pressure. Does it make more power than when at 23psi of pressure? No way! All we are doing is restricting air flow to the point that cylinder pressures and temperatures are going to cause engine damage.

What do we know? There is a fine line of boost pressure optimization VS engine restriction. Over our many years of working with variable geometry turbos we have gained an extensive knowledge of what does and does not benefit power and longevity. Many still believe that more boost is better, but we are here to express the fact that quite often it is not the case.

As far as your questions about a device to raise boost pressure, yes we have no doubts it is achievable. BUT, we do not believe there would be substantial and reliable results.

Last edited by H&S Tech; 04-12-2013 at 06:05 AM.
H&S Tech is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 04-11-2013, 05:01 PM
Premium Member

 
Bullitt1289's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Abilene
Posts: 170
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
got to love having tech's on here. thanks for the info H&S! OP i believe that 34PSI is the reccomended max the stock turbos can handle so most guys were setting that as the max.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

13 F250 FX4 CC Lariat Blue jean metallic
01 Mustang Bullitt #1289
02 F250 XLT 7.3 (sold)

SSgt USAF
Bullitt1289 is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 04-11-2013, 05:22 PM
Member
 
bbc109758's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 58
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
34 is deleted though when stock i could get 22
bbc109758 is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 04-11-2013, 09:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: corpus christi
Posts: 431
Thanks: 5
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i wish i has h&s on speed dial lol

]2011 f250 king ranch cc/sb fx4 black and tan allot of inferior parts fell off so i put better ones on . 5inch exhaust axle dump s7b intake . blistien 5100s all the around . 20x12s on 305,55,20s .leveling kit with bags in the rear .5% tint all the way around
lhood6.7 is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 04-15-2013, 07:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 184
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by H&S Tech View Post
First and foremost, this is not meant to offend the OP in any way. Just a quick bit of information in an attempt to combat a lot of misinformation about diesels.

Boost does NOT equal power. Boost pressure is a sign of restriction, not air flow. Especially in the case of a variable geometry design turbo, boost numbers should not be trusted as a measure of gaining horsepower. With an electrically controlled turbo system, the ECM is attempting to achieve a designated pressure value at all times. If you are outside of a threshold range of desired boost, the ECM will use gain values to open or close the turbo geometry to bring pressure back within range. Suffice it to say that whatever boost your truck is running, is EXACTLY what your ECM is commanding it to run (otherwise you would get a check engine light)

SOOO, to gain more boost, it will close the vanes. Less boost = open vanes. In programming we can command the VGT to provide 60psi of pressure. Does it make more power than when at 23psi of pressure? No way! All we are doing is restricting air flow to the point that cylinder pressures and temperatures are going to cause engine damage.

What do we know? There is a fine line of boost pressure optimization VS engine restriction. Over our many years of working with variable geometry turbos we have gained an extensive knowledge of what does and does not benefit power and longevity. Many still believe that more boost is better, but we are here to express the fact that quite often it is not the case.

As far as your questions about a device to raise boost pressure, yes we have no doubts it is achievable. BUT, we do not believe there would be substantial and reliable results.
I hope everyone can read this so a lot of arguments can be put to rest, like when everyone says when you hit a certain amount of boost you'll blow a HG. The boost isn't lifting the heads rather the power being made because of the considerable amount of boost thats creating the insane cylinder pressures to lift the heads. I just laugh to myself when everyone always ask, "how much boost you running."
jordan572 is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 04-15-2013, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan572 View Post
I hope everyone can read this so a lot of arguments can be put to rest, like when everyone says when you hit a certain amount of boost you'll blow a HG. The boost isn't lifting the heads rather the power being made because of the considerable amount of boost thats creating the insane cylinder pressures to lift the heads. I just laugh to myself when everyone always ask, "how much boost you running."
I am glad I make you laugh, but I just switch from 2007 Dodge Diesel (for last 15 years I had Dodges ) where stock boost was 22 PSI and just adding Quadzilla controller rise the boost to 32 PSI when towing. That way sorry for maybe stupid question, but not really know to much about new Powerstrokes engines and turbos use on them.
milos
milosusa is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 04-16-2013, 04:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 184
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by milosusa View Post
I am glad I make you laugh, but I just switch from 2007 Dodge Diesel (for last 15 years I had Dodges ) where stock boost was 22 PSI and just adding Quadzilla controller rise the boost to 32 PSI when towing. That way sorry for maybe stupid question, but not really know to much about new Powerstrokes engines and turbos use on them.
milos
I should have explained better. I have a 2010 camaro that runs 10-11 lbs and when people ask and I tell them that they say that's nothing my friends Jetta makes 20. That when I laugh. For the most part boost and power in psds and others go hand and hand.
jordan572 is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 03-19-2016, 11:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Okay partly true what is being explained, I will make this simple most turbos can make 30 psi of boost but the CFM or airflow is not there, also heat is a big variable you can add pressure increasing heat from over working which can cause a loss in power. Super chargers are different I'm using examples please don't start with numbers are wrong thank you. So if a supercharger can move 1000cfm per pound compared to a turbos 400 CFM and heat remember heat if you have 1000 o2 molecules per pound of air at a certain temp the higher the temp goes the smaller the number is colder higher. I'm busy sorry for quick answer
7daysauto1 is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 03-20-2016, 07:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
heleonardman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: South TX
Posts: 1,028
Thanks: 33
Thanked 73 Times in 61 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
21-22 psi is normal on the stock tuned 11-14 trucks. A lot of guys running upwards of 30#s on the turbo we're seeing failures after a while. The ceramic bearings don't like to spin too fast or get too hot. Too brittle. A nice top end of around 28psi is what I would aim for tuned on stock fueling and stock turbo.

You arent going to get more boost without throwing more fuel at it to efficiently make use of the extra air. You can tune the truck for modest power to upwards of 150hp on the stock fuel system, but it runs out of air and fuel shortly after 500rwhp.

Why do you want to punch the boost up? Not enough power hauling the trailer? What's your rear end gearing?

--HL
2012 F-250 6.7 CCSB XLT
Too many toys for it to list

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
heleonardman is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome