And the Issues begin.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion (2011-2016) 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 Old 05-20-2012, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
BIGGPIGG4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 1,497
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
And the Issues begin....

Well, last week I was preparing to go to the Lima 4x4 Jamboree. So Tuesday, I updated my h&s mini max to the 6.7-19 update. Drove all day wednesday just fine. Thursday morning it thru a code P0228F. H&S website said it was for throttle positioning sensor, Called dealer and they never heard of the code, but said it was for Fuel Pressure, either High or Low Pressure. Well, I cleared it left for the show Thursday mid-morning. Everything was fine on the 3.5 hour drive. Parked truck at show all weekend. And started it up this morning and CEL was on again for same code. Tried cruising around show and it died three times. So we disconnected the T.P.S. checked pins and reconnected and seemed to be a little better, but when the RPMs are dropping when slowing down/coasting sometimes it starts to drop below 500 rpms and then it kinda chugs back up above it. It does it mainly when its cold or right after start up. Once warmed up seems to go away.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 Ford F-350 XLT 4x4 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


2004 Ford F-250 XLT 4x4 6.0 Powerstroke Diesel

2011 Ford F-350 XLT 4x4 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel *SOLD*
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


2004 Ford F-350 "BIGG PIGG EDITION" 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel *SOLD*


Youtube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BIGGPIGG4x4 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 43 Old 05-20-2012, 08:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 291
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Try setting the mini to monitor the ICP. That's the fuel rail pressure. It should be around 4100 at idle and 30000 at full throttle.

2011 F350 4X4 CCSB SRW, King Ranch, 3.55, Mini Maxx, 4 inch exhaust, egr gone, Confederate Diesel turbo kit with a S363 and 0.91 twin scroll turbine housing, and stock air filter.
DirtBikePilot is offline  
post #3 of 43 Old 05-21-2012, 10:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 115
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGPIGG4x4 View Post
Well, last week I was preparing to go to the Lima 4x4 Jamboree. So Tuesday, I updated my h&s mini max to the 6.7-19 update. Drove all day wednesday just fine. Thursday morning it thru a code P0228F. H&S website said it was for throttle positioning sensor, Called dealer and they never heard of the code, but said it was for Fuel Pressure, either High or Low Pressure. Well, I cleared it left for the show Thursday mid-morning. Everything was fine on the 3.5 hour drive. Parked truck at show all weekend. And started it up this morning and CEL was on again for same code. Tried cruising around show and it died three times. So we disconnected the T.P.S. checked pins and reconnected and seemed to be a little better, but when the RPMs are dropping when slowing down/coasting sometimes it starts to drop below 500 rpms and then it kinda chugs back up above it. It does it mainly when its cold or right after start up. Once warmed up seems to go away.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?
I never had the CEL but mine did the "chug" if you were rolling through a parking lot and let off the throttle completely the RPMs would drop and them they would spike up for a millisecond. Its an h&s thing I believe. I no longer run their tunes.


Sent from an apple.
4EverBoosted1 is offline  
post #4 of 43 Old 05-21-2012, 12:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 149
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Our truck exhibited some of the same symptoms and we found the issue to be the Cold Air Intake that we had installed. The Mass Air Flow readings were skewed enough to affect fueling in certain situations. We put the stock air box back on and it cured the problem for us. We suggest that you give it a try and post your results. We are here to help in any way that we can!
H&S Support is offline  
post #5 of 43 Old 05-21-2012, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator


 
LFD132's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,148
Thanks: 33
Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by H&S Support View Post
Our truck exhibited some of the same symptoms and we found the issue to be the Cold Air Intake that we had installed. The Mass Air Flow readings were skewed enough to affect fueling in certain situations. We put the stock air box back on and it cured the problem for us. We suggest that you give it a try and post your results. We are here to help in any way that we can!
Are you saying that the stock intake may be a better option for these motors? Once again, thanks for responding to or questions.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.com App


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]2013 F250 FX4
LFD132 is offline  
post #6 of 43 Old 05-21-2012, 05:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 149
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFD132 View Post
Are you saying that the stock intake may be a better option for these motors? Once again, thanks for responding to or questions.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.com App
We are. We have yielded best results with the factory air box installed. Our test truck is lifted 10 inches with 40's an gets pushed hard and we have never seen negative affects from running the stock air box. We cannot say the same about the cold air intake kit that we tried. Hope that helps!


Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
H&S Support is offline  
post #7 of 43 Old 05-21-2012, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator


 
LFD132's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,148
Thanks: 33
Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by H&S Support View Post
We are. We have yielded best results with the factory air box installed. Our test truck is lifted 10 inches with 40's an gets pushed hard and we have never seen negative affects from running the stock air box. We cannot say the same about the cold air intake kit that we tried. Hope that helps!


Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Guess I'll put the stock box back on and give it a try. Thanks


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]2013 F250 FX4
LFD132 is offline  
post #8 of 43 Old 05-21-2012, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
BIGGPIGG4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 1,497
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Does this have anything to do with the update? Cause I didn't have an issue before updating?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 Ford F-350 XLT 4x4 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


2004 Ford F-250 XLT 4x4 6.0 Powerstroke Diesel

2011 Ford F-350 XLT 4x4 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel *SOLD*
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


2004 Ford F-350 "BIGG PIGG EDITION" 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel *SOLD*


Youtube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BIGGPIGG4x4 is offline  
post #9 of 43 Old 05-22-2012, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
BIGGPIGG4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 1,497
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBikePilot View Post
Try setting the mini to monitor the ICP. That's the fuel rail pressure. It should be around 4100 at idle and 30000 at full throttle.
I did this yesterday and it seemed to be good. Left the ICP up and today its reading 3.7-3.8 at idle in drive. Seen it go as low as 3.5. Truck ran fine before updating. How do I go back to older update to see if it still does it?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 Ford F-350 XLT 4x4 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


2004 Ford F-250 XLT 4x4 6.0 Powerstroke Diesel

2011 Ford F-350 XLT 4x4 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel *SOLD*
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


2004 Ford F-350 "BIGG PIGG EDITION" 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel *SOLD*


Youtube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BIGGPIGG4x4 is offline  
post #10 of 43 Old 05-22-2012, 06:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 387
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGPIGG4x4 View Post
I did this yesterday and it seemed to be good. Left the ICP up and today its reading 3.7-3.8 at idle in drive. Seen it go as low as 3.5. Truck ran fine before updating. How do I go back to older update to see if it still does it?
Unfortunately you cannot go back in versions. The current update would not have caused the issue you are having.

Do as H&S Support has suggested and put the stock air box back on. If that does not help, please have a dealer look at your fuel system. The P228F diagnostic is thrown when your fuel regulator valve has exceeded its learning limits. This valve controls total fuel flow into your high pressure fuel pump. Depending on how much fuel this valve lets into the pump, is how much pressure your truck will have. This valve is allowed to "learn" itself when parameters become slightly out of range. Your truck has become too far out of range from the desired valve duty cycle, and thus has triggered this diagnostic code. This could be caused by a bad valve, bad fuel, stuck fuel relief valve, etc.

Good luck with it!
H&S Tech is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome