5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 03-09-2017, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Punch It vs. Tyrant or Ez lynk

Looking to put my '11 on a diet. The guy that is doing it for me is recommending punch it. I've read good things about them but saw they are out of business. See everyone praising tyrant. Pros and cons of each? What programmer? Do I want a monitor? Shift on the fly? Not looking for a racer or sled puller but a little extra pep for daily driving would be fun

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to tim4677 For This Useful Post:
dieseljay74 (03-20-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-09-2017, 07:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Garage
**READ FIRST** FAQ On Tuners, Pipes, etc.

Punch it performance has been out of business for a little over a year I think, so I'd stay away from them purely because there is no one to stand behind the tunes.

Tyrant is the best nowdays for the SCT platform and possibly the best as far as custom tunes go for now.

Both tunes are on the SCT platform - Livewire or X4.

Yes, you'll want a monitor. I recommend the Edge CTS2 for monitoring if your tuner doesn't monitor.

Read the thread and it'll probably help with some things.

Welcome to the .org and in the future, please please search before starting a new thread, as the topic gets covered dang near weekly lol.
Heavy_GD likes this.

--HL
2012 F-250 6.7 CCSB XLT
Too many toys for it to list

Last edited by heleonardman; 03-09-2017 at 08:01 PM. Reason: i lied i thought thread was in wrong section
post #3 of 22 Old 03-10-2017, 05:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Punch It vs. Tyrant or Ez lynk

I have Punch It & have 0 complaints. That being said, I would go with Tyrant simply because they have people you can call & talk to should something arise. I do not have SOTF but would love it because I have to switch between tow & race & waiting 15 minutes really sucks. For you, I'd probably run it on the hot street tune. Typically the hotter the tune = more hp & better mpg. Unless you think you're going to be switching between levels of tunes a lot, you don't need to pay extra for the SOTF. I use my X4 as a monitor with a suction cup mount & it's fine with me. OR you could drop another $200 & get the CTS2. You can customize the layout & what you monitor on the X4 to your liking. I would try it out first since you already have it & if not you can spend more money
HeavyAssault likes this.

post #4 of 22 Old 03-10-2017, 06:58 AM
Don't you worry about it

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Tyrant is great on an SCT. However by the time you buy an SCT and an Edge you could just buy an Ezlynk. I'm running GDP tunes on an Ezlynk and they are great.
Heavy_GD likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 Platipus
AP Intake
Spartan EZLYNK
4" Dual Exhaust
4" BDS with Fox shocks and PMF stage 2 traction blocks
post #5 of 22 Old 03-10-2017, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strokinpower View Post
Tyrant is great on an SCT. However by the time you buy an SCT and an Edge you could just buy an Ezlynk. I'm running GDP tunes on an Ezlynk and they are great.

After a bunch more reading I'm thinking of leaning that way
Thanks for the replies

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #6 of 22 Old 03-11-2017, 03:15 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Still need a device to monitor the EZLynk. I know most people will use their phone but that gets old quick. EZLynk is a great product, as are others on the market. Competition is good for us users!

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game
(In support of Zmann's request)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 22 Old 03-11-2017, 04:16 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Personally I would not get a tuner/monitor combo that has to be plugged in for the truck to run. Somebody does the 'ol smash and grab and your in instant limp mode.

Aside from the CTS, torque pro or FORScan are easy cheap monitors. However if I where going to have a phone/tablet monitoring system, I would have a dedicated device. Parring the phone to the truck all the time would be inconvenient at best.

The nice thing about the CTS is you can monitor different modules PIDs at the same time, i.e. trans temp/coolant temp/aftermarket pyro and so on. There are add on pressure sensors and its backup cam capable, there is also a maintenance minder if your into that sort of thing. You can also set alarms for different temps, i.e. EGT<1200* or EOT<230*(I'm not hip to all the apps can do but maybe TorquePro can do this?). The down side is you cannot see all live data/PIDS where you can on FORScan.

As far as shift on the fly the big advantage is if you tow heavy and drive empty, back and forth. The time it takes to lad a tune is not that big a deal IMO, but the transmission relearn every time is a PIA and likely not the easiest on the tranny. Don't tow at max gross on a race tune. If your just looking for a little better drive ability and anti after treatment then all you need is a tow tune.

Personal Truck/Heavy Hauler 12 F350 XL 4x4 DRW CCLB 3.73 LSD Black
Shop built headache rack, tie downs, and knock down ladder rack, Tread plate bed mat, Airlift Ultimate with wireless air controller, Curt Q20 5th hitch, Cheapo light bar, bug screen on the grill, shimmed overloads, CTS, X4 Tyrant tunes, Full Dirty

The Mother Ship 03 Ex 2wd Limited V10 4.10 LSD Mineral Grey Metalic (champagne)
174k and counting hauls kids here, there, and everywhere

The "work truck" 02 Honda Odyssey ELX 167k

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk285 View Post
Durapig you win the internets today hahahaha

Just because your not paranoid doesn't mean their not out to get you...
post #8 of 22 Old 03-11-2017, 05:22 AM
Don't you worry about it

you can pick up an RCA tablet at Walmart that will work with the ezlynk for dirt cheap. I have the iPad in dash kit but I don't really monitor unless towing heavy up mountains which is rarely. No reall need to monitor these trucks just driving around unless you just want to. Sct and ezlynk offer sotf now but it's really only a noticeable change at wot.

2014 Platipus
AP Intake
Spartan EZLYNK
4" Dual Exhaust
post #9 of 22 Old 03-11-2017, 05:23 AM
Don't you worry about it

And there is no tuner to my knowledge that has to be plugged in for the truck to run. Even with a mini maxx it will still run it just defaults to the lowest power setting

2014 Platipus
AP Intake
Spartan EZLYNK
4" Dual Exhaust
post #10 of 22 Old 03-11-2017, 05:24 AM
Don't you worry about it

Lindner JD likes this.

2014 Platipus
AP Intake
Spartan EZLYNK
4" Dual Exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode