Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Really bad exhaust after delete

23K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  jetskier 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,
I can't find anything on this searching so here it is....
I deleted the dpf and blocked the egr off.
I did this right after I got the truck so I can't compare to the exhaust smell before but now it is overbearing.
My question is - is it all because I deleted the dpf or could it be my tunes?
I did the same thing to an old 6.0 that I had and the exhaust was never as bad as this.
The truck is a 2014 F350 6.7 using an SCT tuner.
Thanks for the comments.

#5 ·
How cold is it where you live? During the winter fuel doesn't burn fully and diesels have a horrendously strong smell... Different additives will create a strong smell as well.

Are you getting any white smoke? If its really cold white smoke is normal, but anything above 40* white smoke is a problem.

#6 ·
since the egr blockoff you're no longer running unburned exhaust back through the engine so that's also why you're really dieselly

#12 ·
Builds character

#14 ·
I'd bet your fine. I too noticed that the exhaust was very potent after the delete on my 2014. More so than my 2009 after delete.

I

#17 ·
Some tunes will have more unburnt fuel than others when cold or idling, so it could possibly be the tune. As mentioned though first thing I would do is look for an exhaust leak. But you will always notice a bit of a diesel smell, kinda like an old Muscle car without catts.

#18 ·
Cold diesels smell... A deleted diesel smells even more.

Personally I think diesels with dpfs smell worse when idling cold when its below freezing. But in general, a deleted truck will smell.

#19 ·
My completely unscientific theory is that these trucks were designed to run a littler dirtier from the factory given that the doc/dpf/scr would be there to clean everything up. Remove it all, now you have exhaust that is stronger smelling than the diesels of yesterday.

I run my minimaxx on the stock power deleted setting 100% of the time and my exhaust is quite noticeable.

Again, just my own theory, no science to back it up at all.

#20 ·
I would agree that the exhaust smell is more potent on the deleted 6.7s than previous deleted trucks, but i think the stock exhaust smelled a lot worse. The stock exhaust is supposed to be clean air, it smells a lot like clorox, that stuff gagged me a lot more than deleted exhaust ever did.

Reactions: dsmracing1
#21 ·
My exhaust smells a bit stronger than before, but I expected it. Coming from a straight piped Cummins this powerstroke is a breath of fresh air!! She smells like a diesel is supposed to, even my wife says so! But if you are smelling it in the cab, you likely have a leak somewhere. Only other possibility is the wind is blowing just right and you have the windows down or the a/c recirc turned off I guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.