Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Mini Maxx headache!

21K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  ElkSlayer 
#1 ·
I purchased a mini maxx for the sole purpose of deleting. While waiting for the the necessary delete goodies to come in I installed the mini maxx to ensure compatability and try out the "DPF on tunes".

Installation went fine, loading of the tunes went fine, truck started, mini maxx communicated/behaved as intended. However, I immediately popped the DPF sensor CEL (P21AB). Wasn't concerned since the DPF was gonna fall off soon anyways.

I cleared it with the mini maxx and the truck ran fine. The code would come back intermittently (around every 4 or 5 drive cycles), I'd clear it, no biggie.

Here's where the problem begins; I wasn't impressed with the canned engine strategy and the canned transmission tune was absolute garbage. I decided to return to stock until the delete bits came in. Went through the return to stock process, everything went fine BUT now I get two DPF sensor related codes (P21AB & P21B0) every single time I start the truck. I can clear them in diagnostics before starting the truck, and unfortunately that has become the necessary routine whenever I start the truck. The truck runs fine when the codes are cleared.

The truck also does a few things it never did before reflashing to stock: when I lock the truck it now honks twice instead of once, the low tire pressure light is on (bought the truck with 65 psi 35's, never had a TPMS issue, and none of them are low), and the dash/radio lights dim when a door is opened. All of these things are new since the reflash to "stock".

From my understanding, when I initially installed the mini maxx, shouldn't it have backed up the files already installed on the truck to be reloaded when flashed to stock?? It seems like the tuner loaded some sort of outdated or corrupt strategy that's screwed with my truck!

Now I have a den full of delete and power goodies to install, but my plan was to use Gearhead tunes, which require you to send in your current strategy files. I don't want them to use whatever screwed up junk I have now. So everything is on hold.

I should also note; in 122k miles, the truck has never thrown a code or given strange sporadic TPMS warnings until the day I installed the mini maxx.

Suggestions/insight appreciated.

....dealership reflash maybe??

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
My first step would be to try to update the mini maxx or at least check the version. There is a thread posted here that did have the newest files before the official site went down. then you can reflash the stock that comes on it and see if it fixes the problems that have come up.

For the horn check to make sure all of your doors are properly closed. i have the super cab and even if the rear doors look closed one may be reading open. My truck has always beeped once normally but two loud beeps if it thinks a door is ajar. you may be able to go threw your cluster settings and look for the system check. if i remember correctly it will tell you the door status also.

for the DEF codes. i would try topping off your DEF fluid and see what happens.

#4 · (Edited)
I'll try and update it tonight.

My DEF is over half full, don't really wanna spend the $ to fill it up when I plan on deleting anyways. ...and still, I never had a DEF related code until the SECOND I installed the mini maxx.

According to the "system check" on the dash; all doors are closed. Still the double honk.

...also, shouldn't the mini maxx have saved my ECU's original strategies when I did the install of the canned performance tunes? Don't understand why it would revert back to a different set of files.

#5 ·
Alright, so since I've posted this, the mini maxx has intermittently refused to show or clear the DTCs in the diagnostics section. No rhyme or reason, just every so often instead of giving me the codes and option to clear them it says "establishing communication...." but when I return to the main screen all the data is live and correct so it's clearly communicating.

I always allow the truck to cycle through its "boot up" and allow the mini maxx to start showing data on the gauges before attempting to pull codes.

I updated the files in the card using the link on this site, it found 35 files to update and did so successfully.

I loaded the updated canned tunes thinking maybe the updates will be more to my liking. Tunes installed without issue, truck started, ran, and drove to the store no issue. TPMS light still on though.

I get back out to the truck from the store, start it up, and whaddya know, CEL AGAIN!

drove home with the light on. When I got home I shut the truck off, waited a couple minutes, turned the key to run, waited a few seconds for mini maxx to boot up, attempted to pull codes and got the stupid "establishing communication..." crap again. I waited a good 10 minutes on that screen thinking it would eventually "communicate" but never did. I tried this three more times without starting the truck again. Same result.

So now, thanks to this mini maxx POS I have a truck with a CEL that I can't clear, almost $1k in parts I can't install, and canned tunes that are absolute garbage. All this 1.5 weeks away from my elk hunt.

I'm at a loss here boys, other than forking out another $1300 for EZlynk, what the heck do I do?!?!?!

#6 ·
Update: unplugged the mini maxx and went to the dealer to reflash to the most current strategies.

The tech came in and asked me exactly what had been going on with the truck and what I used to tune it. I explained everything and he told me; the PCM is not allowing him to flash anything to the PCM. He believes the mini maxx may have somehow corrupted the PCM.

He also said the DEF sending unit and associated sensors are a known problem. He's surprised in 123,000 miles I haven't had any issues with it previously, as he replaces appx 3 a week for the same codes.

So, while he agreed there is something funky going on with the PCM due to the tuner, and whole it may be a huge coincidence the DEF crap decided to go tits up the same time I tuned, he is convinced there really is something wrong with the sensors and sending unit.

His suggestion; delete and retune....yeah, no sh*t. 😒

SO that's what I'm doing, probably on Wednesday.

Here's my new concern; given all this BS, I snagged an EZlynk for a smokin black Friday deal to be rid of the mini maxx once and for all. BUT based on what the tech said, I'm worried the PCM won't accept a flash from a different tuner. We'll see I guess.

#7 ·
If you're returned to stock, and it restored well i.e. runs and drives, then it'll take a flash from another tuner.

This is why I don't reccomend H&S anymore..there aint no support when something happens. And it happens with all of em from time to time.

I think you're gonna be 1000000% happier running the EZ Lynk though. Sell the MM on craigslist or on a Facebook diesel group, can still fetch $700 to a grand for them there.

Great, the DEF sender unit is a "known problem" to them...My truck starting throwing the sender code a few weeks ago. It doesn't show up if I keep the tank full though, so that's the way its gonna be until I delete. Which will be a while....

On a plus side getting 16.5 MPG on a DPF on tow tune and 35s SWEET

#8 ·
That's what I thought too, and everything loaded fine, truck ran fine. Who knows what the tech was doing to produce that result.

I was new to the diesel tuning world when I bought the mini maxx. I did so based on all the reviews and posts singing it's praises. I realize now those were mostly from '11 and '12 when H&S was still around and the mini maxx was the EZlynk of its time.

I'm stoked to get the EZlynk, should be here tomorrow. It's got PPEI tunes and I've heard nothing but good.

Shyeah, a known issue, and get this; the part they replace it with is......another identical part. According to FoMoCo, there haven't been any changes, modifications, or improvements to the known faulty part. 🤔😒

....positive update to follow though....

#9 ·
Final update:

Deleted the truck, loaded the mini maxx emissions off tunes and all DEF related codes are gone.

Truck runs fine (as good as can be expected with H&S canned tunes). Towed my 23' travel trailer about 400 miles round trip without a single issue. Also, the TPMS light went away without me doing a single thing to the tires 🤔???

It's still uncertain if the mini maxx caused the DEF related issues or if it really was a massive coincidence.

All said; mini maxx burned it's bridge with me. EZlynk goes in this week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.