44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 103 Old 04-21-2016, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
**READ FIRST** FAQ On Tuners, Pipes, etc.

Information Correct as of April 24, 2016. I'll try and keep it updated as time rolls on. This thread does not cover 2017 MY superduties, whenever they decide to roll off the lines. Those trucks will have more hp/tq stock and probably some updated components and may take the aftermarket a few months to catch up.

A lot of questions pop up all the time on a few core subjects that reside in this forum. I'm going to attempt to answer your questions that way it's all in a central location. Keep in mind, Powerstroke.org does not affiliate with "deleting" ("weight reduction") due to it being illegal, but you do what you want on your own time.

1.What tuner should I get?

2.What pipes should I do?

3.How about EGR plates?

4.What is shift on the fly?

5.What company should I buy from?

6.What Cold Air Intake?

7. How do I change my tire size/PSI? Limits?

8. How do I improve fuel milage??? Can I?

1.What tuner should I get?

This really depends on what you want to do, and your budget. There are a few good tuners out there that will suit your needs, whether you want to go fast or just get rid of some weight on the truck. I HIGHLY recommend you get monitoring capabilities by means of your tuner or an edge insight CTS2 to keep an eye on EGT temps. It's nice to see all your other vitals right there too.

If you're planning to keep your emissions equipment but still want to tune, check out http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-7...f-reviews.html that thread. It is a review of 5 Star DPF-on tunes and many people are very happy with the tunes. DP Tuner also writes very good DPF On tunes for SCT, EZLYNK, and H&S platforms, and I have run both and prefer the DP tunes. (same DP tuner that back in the day wrote the best tunes for the 7.3). My review can be found here. http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-7...ne-review.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are a few key points to the 6.7l and tuning:

-You're going to run out of fuel (11-16 MY) and air (11-14 MY) right around 500 RWHP. That will be the "Hot" tune from any of these tuners.

-No "supporting mods" needed when doing exhaust/intake/tune: the engine is stout enough. You'll bend a rod before you blow a head gasket. And you'll start bending rods way past the 500 HP mark that we're covering today.

-DO NOT TOW excessively heavy trailers in hotter tunes. ALWAYS keep an eye on EGT temperatures. I like to keep them under 1200* at the turbo.

-If you're going to perform "weight reduction" to your exhaust, YOU NEED a "weight reduction" compatible tuner. (Choice word starts with "D" and ends in "elete")

-Smoke output with the DPF-off tunes is generally very minimal, no matter what tuner you go with. The only tuner I am aware of that is able to allow the user to change the Low Boost Fueling is the MiniMaxx. More low boost fueling, means more snappy throttle response, which also means a good bit more smoke. Opposite is true for lower boost fueling. The idea that most of the tuners for the 6.7 have accepted is to keep smoke to a minimum to avoid causing a scene, essentially. And I applaud them.

-Boost levels: 2011-2014 turbos were weaker than 15+. I recommend keeping boost on 11-14 MY turbos around 28-30 PSI MAX, more will overspeed the turbo and in short time fry the ceramic bearings. 15+ turbos I hear can go past 30 PSI on a stock tune, but at any rate I would not be as concerned throwing boost at a 15+ vs. older.

-A word on tuning and your warranty: Tuning DOES VOID YOUR POWERTRAIN WARRANTY. Unless you have a dealer that you know will play ball with you, and you value your warranty, hold off on tuning, deleting, etc. Yes, the dealer can see if you've tuned and gone back to stock, yes they can see if you have ever cleared codes, and it's up to them to mess with you or not. Your move.

All these tuners can run delete tunes, and either come preloaded (h&s) or are custom tuned by vendors. (I.E. PPEI, No Limit, PSE, DP Tuner, etc)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EZ Lynk

-Custom tuned device

-Shift on the fly

-Wireless Monitoring via app

-Linked to your custom tuner in the cloud

-Able to receive updated tunes wirelessly, automaticly

-Tuners include DP Tuner, PPEI, No-Limit, etc

-Newest, most promising platform available. Releasing to the public very soon.

This platform is a very cool one. It hooks into your OBDII and creates a wireless network. You then connect to it on your phone or tablet and install tunes, monitor, etc. it's also linked to the cloud, meaning say your tuner has an updated tune to send you. It will automaticly download it and then let you update the truck. It's very flexible and very cool. Supports DPF-on and off tunes---depends on what your custom tune shop will write. More info soon.

SCT X4:

-Custom tuned device

-Most Budget Friendly

-Arguably the best bang for the buck when loaded with good custom tunes

This is a custom tuned device, meaning that the physical device is a platform to load tunes, but you'll have to find tunes for it yourself. The P/N for ford vehicles is 7015. These are very good, budget oriented tuners, and have a very good tuning potential, because the power of the tunes is in a custom tuner's hand. Some reputable shops that tune the X4 are: Punch it Performance, No-Limit, and Powerstroke Engenuities. Most companies will sell the tuners pre-loaded with custom tunes, so it's a plug and play package. The only downsides to this is that installation of the tunes can be tricky to some, and there is no shift on the fly for tunes. And it can be used as a monitor, but it's kind of clumsy for that. Personally this is the route I would go, as I have a Edge CTS2 for monitoring all my temperatures. This tuner is so universal it could be used for the average Joe just wanting a DD tune, or a truck that's built over 700 HP. All the power is in the hands of the person tuning the device.

SCT LiveWire TS+

-Same concepts as SCT X4.

-Has monitoring capibility

-Large, easy to read screen

The LiveWire TS+ is a good all around platform, offering the same benefits as the X4 plus monitoring. Some people love the layout of the TS+, others hate it. It is a good valued all-in-one tuner if this is the route you would like to take, instead of purchasing an X4 and a separate monitor such as the Insight CTS2.

Spartan nGauge:

-Shift on the fly coming summer 2016

-nGauge fits in a A-piller gauge mount

-Spartain Tunes are generally pretty good

-A bit more expensive than SCT x4

-NEW! Custom tune support

This is Spartan's newest platform, and the newest tuner to the market. They were very successful in the 6.4 and the 6.7 world. I personally do not have any experience with their tunes, but from everyone I've heard that has them, they love them. They have tunes from 0hp to the 200hp "warhammer" tune for the 6.7l. And, they're coming out with shift on the fly capability in just a few short months. It can monitor as well. Very good tuner. Can't go wrong. Geared towards more of people looking for the most out of their stock motor truck.

H&S MiniMaxx:

-Compact package, easy to use, visually undisturbing

-Decent canned tune quality for ENGINE - LEAVE TRANS TUNING STOCK IF RUNNING CANNED TUNES. Any canned H&S trans tuning leaves alot to be desired. Hard shifts, slamming into gear, etc. Leave the tranny tune stock..

-Support for custom tuning via MCC unlock ($200.00 extra unlock)

-Shift on the fly

-User is able to change low boost fueling (higher LBF = more responsive to throttle, more smoke. Opposite for lower LBF setting)

-Supports only 11-14 MY Powerstrokes, with 13-14 powerstrokes requiring extra unlock code

The MiniMaxx was discontinued in 2012, so that's why it fetches such a high price today. The MiniMaxx has shift on the fly capibility, monitoring capibility, and good, solid tunes, in a small package. The MiniMaxx can also be custom tuned by a vendor through a MCC unlock as well. It's a really solid platform and is very user friendly. You can't go wrong with this device. It is geared more towards the user who just wants something that works and is flexible and quick on tune changes.
I don't reccomend this tuner anymore due to the amount of issues people have been running into lately, and the fact that these tuners are hardly supported by anyone anymore. Find something newer, with good updated tunes would be my suggestion (any of the other tuners on this list)

H&S XRT PRO

-Same tunes as MiniMaxx

-MCC Capable

-Preloaded tunes satisfy most

-No monitoring capability

-Supports only 11-14 MY Powerstrokes

-No shift on the fly, no defuel options

The XRT Pro is the budget version of the MiniMaxx. It offers the basic canned H&S tunes, which satisfy the average user 9/10 times. There is no monitoring support, and it is like the X4 in the sense that you plug it in, flash the truck, and unplug it. Good, no frills, out of sight out of mind tuner.

2.What pipes should I get?

You really have four options:

-Keep stock exhaust & run DPF-on tunes

-"weight reduction" pipe (bolts in place of the DPF)

-4" Downpipe back

-5" Downpipe back

The delete pipe can be found online anywhere and bolts in place of the factory DPF and keeps the stock tailpipe. It sounds louder than stock. On DP back exhausts, The 5" is louder and deeper than the 4", but some people like to quiet it down with a aeroturbine or flo-pro muffler. Diamond eye is another brand of exhaust, and is cheaper than Flo-Pro. After all, a pipe is a pipe. Some people have reported fitment issues with both the flo pro and the diamond eye, but I believe you won't have issues with either. Look on YouTube for exhaust clips and decide which works best for you. I personally like the 5" diamond eye pipe I found on eBay with no muffler.

3.How about EGR plates?

You really have two options in order to do it right:

-EGR Block-off plates

-Full EGR Delete

If left unblocked during key improvements to the truck, the EGR valve will coke up with soot very quickly and refuse to operate again. Not good if you ever need to go back to stock. I highly recommend using No Limit's blocker plates to cap off the exhaust going to the EGR. They're only $70-80 I believe and they'll ensure everything works properly if you ever need to go back to stock.

Your other option is The EGR removal plates. They cover all openings and you remove the entire assembly. This isn't really needed unless you feel the need to clean up the engine bay.

All "delete" tunes DO disable the EGR; however, for aforementioned reasons, physically blocking off or removing the EGR is recommended.

Here is a link to EGR removal instructions C/O @Tattooz and @Jeremy@NoLimit . https://app.box.com/s/96speg2a7le4q7doodi9xk4812y0u72i

4.What is shift on the fly?

Shift on the fly, or SOTF, is just that, the ability to change tunes while cruising down the road. It's a neat, useful feature. Say you run the HOT tune on the way to get the boat. You hook up the boat, bump the tuner to Tow, and you're off in seconds. Pretty nice right?

5.What company should I buy from?

On the forum, you're going to be encouraged to support forum supporting vendors. That's because our vendors are honestly really great. Our biggest supporter for parts pertaining to this thread is No Limit Fab Shop. They have wonderful customer support. You'll either get ahold of Mike, or his new agent, Jeremy. @Jeremy@NoLimit .

Jeremy has been cruising the forms as of late and has been very helpful. Do not hesitate to PM or call either of them for anything. I promise they'll be helpful beyond belief.

A quick Google search will yield you tons of companies as well. If you have a local shop you trust, awesome. I like Powerstroke Engenuities in Houston. They're good people and they carry No-Limit products. Price shop if you wish; I'm just letting you know you may or may not have the customer support you would with these guys.

6.What Cold Air Intake?

This is also somewhat of a preference. Most people on here go with either a No-Limit stage 2 intake, with a massive 5" pipe. Others go for the S&B, and, myself included, run the intake with the Plexiglas cover uninstalled. Allows for better throttle response and slightly better mileage. Either way, again, you can't go wrong. You'll like either, but I truly believe the No Limit stage 2 intake has that "wow" factor over the S&B, and can flow better if you're running a hot tune on the truck. It really shines when you really build the motor. But that's for another day!

7. How do I change my tire size/PSI? Limits?

Tire PSI can be changed by any Ford dealership that is willing to play ball with you. I don't believe any of the aforementioned tuners are able to change the PSI settings. Some dealers will be nice and change it for free, some will limit how far down they go, others will charge you, others just won't do it. Just the way the game goes. Mine did it for free, after they tried to charge me for it. I told them I wasn't spending a hundred bucks for three minutes of computer time. Needless to say, they went ahead and took care of it for me my next oil change.

Tire size can ONLY be adjusted to 34.5" or so, from the factory setting. THIS IS THE LIMIT!!! There is no possible way to compensate for a larger tire in the truck's computer. It's one of those things you just got to deal with.
A lot of people, myself included, run an Edge Insight CTS2 which can compensate for the larger tires, and display the speed on the monitor. It took a little while to get used to, but now it's natural to just look at the Edge instead of the cluster. I know I've rambled about the Insight CTS2 this entire thread and sound like an Edge salesman, but this little monitor is truly fantastic...it does everything. And it does it very cleanly.

How can I help fuel milage? What will I see??

Fuel milage will never be great on these trucks. You may be able to maintain 18-19 mpg if you drove 60 mph constantly, on stock tires, suspension, and a deleted high horse tune driving like a grandpa.

A lifted truck, big tires, without deletes can expect to see 12-13 on the freeway running 75+. One with deletes may see an extra mpg or two. I personally see 16.6 mpg as a personal best, running a DPF on 75 hp tune driving 60 mph a whole tank. (leveled and on 35s 3.55 rear end). Lifting and running bigger tires kills milage. So does driving fast (65+). Running 80, I can see 12 mpg again. Don't even ask about towing at 75. Like 7.3 mpg, for me.

Point I'm trying to make is, in order to get that extra MPG or two out of your truck, you're gonna have to tune and or delete with a higher horse tune (higher rail pressure helps mpg on common rail trucks) and drive it easy. That's the nature of the beast. It's a heavy pickup truck, with the aerodynamics of a brick. An extra MPG is worth and extra 18-20 miles, on a short bed tank. Is it worth it? Your call. To me, no, not after the potentially thousands of dollars you're gonna pay for pipes, deletes, tuners, and install fees.

Intakes don't help too much with MPG, the biggest help is running a tune. Running a tune DOES void warranty, see top of the post for a lecture on that.

No, regearing won't help significantly with your milage, as you'll likely never make the money back in savings that you invest in changing the gears.

The best tip I can give to getting better milage is watching how you drive. Slow to accelerate, coast, and drive a little slower on the freeway. Watch your boost gauge. I find if i keep my boost at 4 psi, my milage stays great. 5 psi, its okay. 6+ psi, bye bye milage. It's got to do with how much fuel is being fed to the motor and how hard it's working to keep pushing you along. Lower boost when cruising = better milage. How to achieve lower boost? take your foot off the pedal.

I hope I helped clear the air on some of these questions, and I hope you find it useful. Do not hesitate to ask questions; but please ask them here in this thread. Have a good one!

--HL
2012 F-250 6.7 CCSB XLT
Too many toys for it to list

Last edited by heleonardman; 11-28-2016 at 07:03 PM. Reason: adding more FAQ's
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to heleonardman For This Useful Post:
BoozeDaily (04-22-2017), DBroncos (11-30-2016), docbowden24 (11-21-2016), ekimv65 (12-26-2016), Jfamos (12-07-2016), markhansel (06-03-2016), skycrane (05-24-2016), SRQ Power-Stroke (12-21-2016), SuchTrk (07-14-2016), tward06 (05-05-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 103 Old 04-21-2016, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
--Reserved--

--HL
2012 F-250 6.7 CCSB XLT
post #3 of 103 Old 04-21-2016, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
great write up!
heleonardman likes this.

2010 F-250 King Ranch CCSB FX4

S&B CAI, 5" DP Back Flo-Pro Straight Pipe Dumped, EGR Block Off Plates, Sp@rtan Tuned, PMF Leveling Kit, PMF Stage 2 Gusseted Traction Bars with Blocks, PMF Dual Steering Stabilizer, PMF SS Extended Length Brake Lines, Toyo Open Country ATII Extreme 295/65/20

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to ZALATX For This Useful Post:
heleonardman (04-22-2016)

post #4 of 103 Old 04-21-2016, 09:51 AM
Emergency Services

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
You're missing the SCT Livewire. Step up from the X4
heleonardman likes this.

2015 Ford F-250 XLT w/ FX4
6.7L Powerstroke Diesel

SCT Livewire tuned by Tyrant Diesel
5" AFE Atlas Downpipe back straight pipe.
Stage 2 intake
EGR Block off plates.
H&S Filter Conversion kit

Carli Backcountry 2.5" leveling kit with full Deaver leaf springs
Method Grid Titanium 18x9
35/12.5/18 Toyo AT2 Xtreme

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 103 Old 04-21-2016, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Nice work.
heleonardman likes this.

2015 F350 DRW Platinum, SCT X4, EDGE CTS2, aFe PDS, AirLift 5000 Ultimate & Wireless Air, Lund LED Bull Bar, RC Grille bar, B&W 5th Wheel, Stark LED Lighting
2010 F250, H&S Mini Maxx, aFe PDS, Diamond Eye 4", Pro Comp Nitro 2.5", Bilstein 5100, Westin Bull Bar, Bushwacker Pocket Style, B&W Slider, Firestone Ride-Rite, Fuel Hostage 20x10, Pioneer/Kicker/JL Audio

The Following User Says Thank You to RUFFSTUFF For This Useful Post:
heleonardman (04-23-2016)
post #6 of 103 Old 04-21-2016, 06:12 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 252 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
I'm offended......you spelled my name wrong lol

I'll edit, Spartan actually DOES offer custom tuning support
heleonardman and Heavy_GD like this.

Owner- The Diesel Authority
Instagram- @thedieselauthority

2017 event info!!!!

2015 6.7 Platinum
Lots of NL stuff
H&S 369SXE
Spartan tuning

2006 Shorty in progress
Lots of fuel, turba and NL stuff
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeremy@TDA For This Useful Post:
heleonardman (05-11-2016)
post #7 of 103 Old 04-22-2016, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy@NoLimit View Post
I'm offended......you spelled my name wrong lol

I'll edit, Spartan actually DOES offer custom tuning support
Jeremy,

I'll fix!!! Whoops!! And I thought they might just wasn't sure. I'll fix up the thread tonight.
Jeremy@TDA likes this.
post #8 of 103 Old 04-22-2016, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Or you can buy a H&S XRT PRO, I paid $999

Allows you to install aftermarket exhaust without regeneration or trouble codes
Unplug and remove all sensors in the factory DPF system
Precisely tune engine with increases from 60-175 RWHP*
Speedometer & ABS re-calibration for use of non-stock size tires or gearing
Remove top speed limiter
Allows removal of EGR & EGR cooler with NO TROUBLE CODES
Turn off the EGR without removing butterfly from intake
Read/Clear Diagnostic Trouble Codes
Internet Updatable w/included USB cable
Custom fueling and timing available on request. Contact H&S for details
Aftermarket turbo capable with no codes.

You can use the XRT PRO on GM, DODGE, or FORD
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gunman41mag For This Useful Post:
GRI (12-07-2016), whttailhunter (12-31-2016)
post #9 of 103 Old 04-22-2016, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunman41mag View Post
Or you can buy a H&S XRT PRO, I paid $999

Allows you to install aftermarket exhaust without regeneration or trouble codes
Unplug and remove all sensors in the factory DPF system
Precisely tune engine with increases from 60-175 RWHP*
Speedometer & ABS re-calibration for use of non-stock size tires or gearing
Remove top speed limiter
Allows removal of EGR & EGR cooler with NO TROUBLE CODES
Turn off the EGR without removing butterfly from intake
Read/Clear Diagnostic Trouble Codes
Internet Updatable w/included USB cable
Custom fueling and timing available on request. Contact H&S for details
Aftermarket turbo capable with no codes.

You can use the XRT PRO on GM, DODGE, or FORD
Good point. I will add. I never think about the XRT just because I consider it H&S platform...its same tunes as mini max just different platform and no monitoring...but I will add it in the morning to the write up. As well as the LiveWire TS+.

--HL
2012 F-250 6.7 CCSB XLT
post #10 of 103 Old 04-29-2016, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Great write up, very informative! Unless I missed it, might want to mention that H&S tuners only work on 2011-2014 model years. Hopefully this thread cuts down on all the repeat threads on this subject.
heleonardman and skycrane like this.

2012 F-250 CC, SB, 6.7L Power Stroke.
Pulls a 2014 Keystone Outback 301BQ.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to outbacker For This Useful Post:
heleonardman (05-11-2016), MadeInDade (02-22-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode