Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2015 6.7 shuddering, loss of power.

232K views 464 replies 126 participants last post by  B-rine 
#1 ·
So I am new to the forum and diesels. I recently bought a 2015 F350 with the 6.7 for work. It is 5 months old with 5300 miles. No modifications other than aesthetic ones, toolbox, etc. I always fill up at chevron.

So a month or so ago I noticed a shudder and shaking while trying to accelerate going about 45mph. Not a hard acceleration, just while changing lanes. It was almost like it was starving for fuel.

I have noticed this several times since. Most recently, I could not even keep speed while going up a hill due to an almost total loss of power. It seems the truck will keep speed on a flat, but if any power is needed, I am out of luck. This instance, I know I was in regen, however I cannot be sure about all instances. I have a brother in law that knows much more than I about diesels, and he says this is fairly common with newer trucks while in regen, so maybe that is the issue. If this is the case, it seems to me that I paid a lot for a truck that can only deliver promised performance.....sometimes.

I took it into the dealership (LHM-Sandy for those in the area). They have had it two days and thus far cannot duplicate the problem, though the tech said it feels "generally sluggish". From searches on this forum, it looks like there are people with similar issues in 2011-2012s, but I would hope Ford would have developed a resolution by now.

Are people still having this problem? Is there a service bulletin that I can give to the tech? Any help would be appreciated.

*Sorry for the long winded post, I wanted to give as much info as possible.

See less See more
#2 ·
You could have the valves sticking during regen when it is dumping more fuel in the driver side of the motor. This was a much bigger issue on the 11-12s until they came out with a TSB and new valves. This problem still can happen and requires the valves to be replaced. Has the dealership forced a regen while driving to try to duplicate it or are they just driving it?

#3 · (Edited)
I have a 2014, I have never lost power during a regen, fuel mileage went to chit, but no loss of power.

#4 · (Edited)
True as see the other threads and forums, that some 2015s have this issue. Mine showed up at the 3 month 4100 mile mark of the break in period with two back to back severe episodes of it in regeneration and Ford has no true fix for the issue and will try to shift the blame for this issue on low cetane diesel and numerous other factors.

Before allowing them to tear down your new engine I would recommend trying this and see if this will help:

Switch to Full Synthetic 5-40 oil

Use generous amounts of Ford Cetane Boost on every fill up

Try the Archoil Diesel Fuel additive to lower the diesel combustion point

For me, my final opinion and updating my progress with this issue on other forums is not yet fully complete but my issue is still occasionally present but less severe since I went to full synthetic oil. I had been using the cetane boost all along and just recently am trying the Archoil fuel performance additive. I am also considering trying the Archoil diesel oil additive on my next oil change but my research on it is not complete yet.

Also be sure and drive your active regeneration out and if you get valve sticking, immediately throttle up through it to not risk damage. It may take up to 23 miles on a regeneration to drive the regeneration to full completion where the soot falls to 1 gram/liter or less as measured by the sensor.

Feel free to send me a private message and I will be glad to speak with you via phone to help prevent you from getting the run around and poor service that I got from my Ford Regional Customer Service representative out of Dearborn.

One dealer did tell a customer Ford was going to try a different PCM strategy to alleviate or prevent the issue. It appears the valve/valve stems/guides just can't take the rapid heat expansion during regeneration. Don't let Ford tell you your valves are coked up in less than 5000 miles.

It does seem like first time this happens though the damage is done and it is a balance in living with it or tearing the engine down and many that have gone that route have had the issue to only come back several thousand miles later.

#5 ·
I would say that if you can recreate the issue, take the tech with you and show him. They need to take care of it.

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks all for the advice, sorry I have been meaning to update but was out of town.

So for an update:

I got the truck back from the dealer after 3 days. They could not duplicate the problem. I asked them if they forced a regen while testing and they said that they can only do that under certain circumstances. So short answer, no. They said that it was not downshifting properly, so they performed a TCM Adaptive Learn Reset to improve downshifting... I did not notice anything wrong with how it was shifting, but ok. But since they could not duplicate the problem, and I was still correcting the tech on the symptoms that the truck was displaying even as I was picking it up, I seriously doubt the problem is solved. Since the problem is intermittent, I am unsure that I will be able to bring the vehicle in and get seen by a tech while it is still happening.

They more or less ignored the problem that I described, and assumed that I was an idiot (though I can't completely fault them, because I am sure they deal with many). I say this because in the notes it says, "Was unable to verify a lack of power, struggle when driving..... Advise customer that engine will have a feeling of less power and different engine noise when not boosted."

Yeah.... thanks buddy. I know how a damn turbo works. The "lack of power" I was describing was definitely not turbo lag.

Also be sure and drive your active regeneration out and if you get valve sticking, immediately throttle up through it to not risk damage. It may take up to 23 miles on a regeneration to drive the regeneration to full completion where the soot falls to 1 gram/liter or less as measured by the sensor.
How will I know when the regen is finished?

#360 ·
Thanks all for the advice, sorry I have been meaning to update but was out of town.

So for an update:

I got the truck back from the dealer after 3 days. They could not duplicate the problem. I asked them if they forced a regen while testing and they said that they can only do that under certain circumstances. So short answer, no. They said that it was not downshifting properly, so they performed a TCM Adaptive Learn Reset to improve downshifting... I did not notice anything wrong with how it was shifting, but ok. But since they could not duplicate the problem, and I was still correcting the tech on the symptoms that the truck was displaying even as I was picking it up, I seriously doubt the problem is solved. Since the problem is intermittent, I am unsure that I will be able to bring the vehicle in and get seen by a tech while it is still happening.

They more or less ignored the problem that I described, and assumed that I was an idiot (though I can't completely fault them, because I am sure they deal with many). I say this because in the notes it says, "Was unable to verify a lack of power, struggle when driving..... Advise customer that engine will have a feeling of less power and different engine noise when not boosted."

Yeah.... thanks buddy. I know how a damn turbo works. The "lack of power" I was describing was definitely not turbo lag.

How will I know when the regen is finished?
I found this thread searching to see if anyone else had this problem.
Mine is a 2015 -6.7 f-350. The problem you are describing is exactly the same as mine.
My truck has 41,000 miles and I drive it daily and tow equipment 2-3 times a week.
At least once a week mine loses power and develops a fuel ping as though it is running out of fuel.it also has a severe vibration in the engine. It usually happens at a low rpm when the truck is lugging a little. It will accelerate out of the issue, but I,m afraid it's going to damage the motor.
Had hoped someone on here had found the cure.

#7 ·
I have a 2015 6.7 liter F250. I am having what sounds like the same issue. Only on occasions about every 200 miles or so when I am running about 1000 to 1300 RPM in about 5th or 6th gear the valves will start clicking severely and if I to not down shift or increase throttle the engine violently shutters. Fuel milage also decreases to about 8mpg down from about 20mpg when usually running this gear and speed. Ford service techs do not know what I am talking about and ask me if any engine lights are coming on, which they are not.

Help anyone?

#8 ·
With the 200 mile interval, I feel it is definitely happening during regeneration cycles, exactly what is happening to the engine during regeneration, I can't explain. My 2014 never gave any indications like that, other than the reduced MPG's, but I never witnessed that amount of difference (12 MPG difference) mine would drop 3 to 5 mpg, according to how I was driving, etc. It's normal to observe some drop in fuel efficiency, IMHO, I don't think it should be like you describe, especially with the other symptoms you mentioned. Unless I happened to see the "cleaning exhaust filter" message pop up, the only way I knew it was in regen was the decreased mileage. I'd get it to your dealer or a mechanic you trust.

#9 ·
I'd ask for a "data recorder."

#11 ·
Anyone having any luck with this? I had new heads and valves put in at 4500 miles on my 15. Problems still exists. been dealing with it, now at 8k. I am currently attempting to push through on a buy back/lemon law scenario. Only question is...do I stick with a Ford or jump ship.

Im beginning to think the silveraydo guy was right. Ford is synonymous with BFPS

At any rate, is this a problem across the board or a random percentage of these trucks. I have actually had great luck with previous fords, my 08 went 120k before I sold it without a single hiccup along the way

#13 ·
Low RPM Shudder

Mine has done it since day one.. The Tech says it might be the torque limiter Defueling to reduce RPM that causes the engine miss @ 1500-2000 rpm. We drove another 2015 F-450 Chassis Cab right off the line and it had the same problem so the Tech said it must be normal.. Go figure..

#15 ·
I can duplicate the shudder anytime, any day, all day long with or without Regen just lock it in 1st or 2nd gear bring it up to 1500-1800 rpm and start accelerating while using the brakes to keep in the shudder range. Before the defuel occurs the engine misses like a gas engine with a plug wire off... It's not rpm sensitive as much as load sensitive.

#18 ·
Low RPM Shudder

As I mentioned it's load sensitive @ a particular rpm range, My Rig is just under 16,000 lbs. "All the time" If you lock the trans in 2nd gear and roll up to 1500-1800 rpm and then start applying the brakes keeping it in that rpm range yours would probably do it too.. The Tech and I challenged that theory using another brand new truck off the lot. Just sayin..

#21 ·
Heres a small update as I have been working through this issue.
My local Dealer says verifies that this is a known problem and the engineers are working on a solution, so I will have to deal with it and wait.

Ford Customer Relationship Operations Manager verifies this info claiming that a recently released bulletin states that this is "Normal Operation" by that he claims the true meaning is that for now it will have to be normal operation, by default since they don't have a fix.
Other than an ESP there has been no help or assistance offered by either my purchasing dealer or Ford as a whole. Although I am told it will not cause damage I am unable to get a straight answer as to what exactly is happening. I also am lead to believe a fix is not right around the corner so to speak as no one that I have spoke to has any idea past stating that they are working on it. It is plausible that if they were close they would spread to word to simply calm people down.

At this point the purchasing dealer says they don't want the truck back in for service because there is nothing they will do with it. My lawyer says to drop it off and not pick it up until its fixed...so I guess we'll see.

More to come

Reactions: T diesel
#22 ·
So, they say they DON'T know what is happening, thus they can't fix it, but that it's NORMAL and will cause no harm? Am I missing something here? So, they can't diagnose and repair the problem, but they do know it's not gonna hurt the engine........:crazys:

Reactions: jpv9297
#24 ·
2015 6.7 diesel F350

I took mine in and they could not find any problem. Do not know how hard they tried. Two weeks later the check engine light came on. Took it in, they found metal in the fuel filter. 16000 miles. Found the high pressure fuel pump imploded. Ford agreed to fix. They said it would be 3 weeks get a high pressure replacement kit. That was 2 weeks ago. After four calls to Ford I finally got somebody to call me back. They still can not give me a date. Next update to be on Wed. 6-10-15. Very disappointed.

#25 ·
I took mine in and they could not find any problem. Do not know how hard they tried. Two weeks later the check engine light came on. Took it in, they found metal in the fuel filter. 16000 miles. Found the high pressure fuel pump imploded. Ford agreed to fix. They said it would be 3 weeks get a high pressure replacement kit. That was 2 weeks ago. After four calls to Ford I finally got somebody to call me back. They still can not give me a date. Next update to be on Wed. 6-10-15. Very disappointed.
Please let us know if Ford determines if the high pressure fuel pump failure and the active regeneration jackhammer valve issue is related.

#27 ·
Research your state lemon law, do what is required and then start the process.

#28 ·
2015 loss of power

My fifth PowerStroke and still bet the farm on Ford. BUT, I have had severe loss of power issues. Bought the truck May of 2014. First issue towing gooseneck with minimal load (6000-7000) coming up hill with HARD downshift and immediate warning on display of reduced Power. Hard code cleared after repeat starts and dealer could not see any issues. Truck gets used 2-3 times a month for hauling. Some of the longer hauls I have seen repeated loss of power. Thinking fuel then Turbo after I see no more than 10-13 psi of boost. Long story short it happens a lot and finally got word of a TSB-0077. Went to different dealer (another long story) and seemed I was getting same run around. But the tech went another direction. HIGH oil temp will cause reduced power without setting a code. This thing was a gutless wonder when this occurred. High oil and water temp will prompt reduced power. 225 for water and 257 for oil. Anything over and its lucky pull anything. Willing to bet Ford does their job and fixes the issue. Staying true to the blue oval.

#29 ·
My fifth PowerStroke and still bet the farm on Ford. BUT, I have had severe loss of power issues. Bought the truck May of 2014. First issue towing gooseneck with minimal load (6000-7000) coming up hill with HARD downshift and immediate warning on display of reduced Power. Hard code cleared after repeat starts and dealer could not see any issues. Truck gets used 2-3 times a month for hauling. Some of the longer hauls I have seen repeated loss of power. Thinking fuel then Turbo after I see no more than 10-13 psi of boost. Long story short it happens a lot and finally got word of a TSB-0077. Went to different dealer (another long story) and seemed I was getting same run around. But the tech went another direction. HIGH oil temp will cause reduced power without setting a code. This thing was a gutless wonder when this occurred. High oil and water temp will prompt reduced power. 225 for water and 257 for oil. Anything over and its lucky pull anything. Willing to bet Ford does their job and fixes the issue. Staying true to the blue oval.
so, basically this could be a sensor thing?

#31 ·
Awesome info Chillywilly1967.

Hopefully that's it. Ford !!!

#33 ·
As all of the cases that I've read seem to be when the truck is in regen, that being the case I would venture to say deleting would be one way to fix the issue. Just sad folks would have to resort to that, I personally wanted mine deleted, but I know alot of folks that don't want to.

#35 ·
Looks like I came to the right place. I also own a 2015 6.7 with 4000 miles and it has been doing this issue for about 500 miles now. It has been around 75-80 degrees outside air temp when it does it and I have the A/C on naturally. I was around 16.5 average MPG before this started happening and now I run around 15.6 average MPG. I will have to see if this is happening when it does the Regen.

I brought it to the dealer where I bought it and they put 40 miles on the truck and used up my diesel to tell me they couldnt find anything. obviously its still happening and I called another dealer and they told me "if it isn't throwing a code drive the motherfu**er until it blows up and then you will get a new motor." Wasn't really sure how I felt about that comment.

I think Ford has this issue in place for when your warranty ends the motor goes out and then you have to replace the motor. I heard the 6.7 was a solid motor and now it seems to be a turd almost as bad as the 6.0.

Im on the Bandwagon for taking this to Ford to get a resolution.

Thank you,

Ryan

#145 ·
6.0 Turd? What? Sounds like Y'all 6.7 owners having a lot more problems than my 6.0 has had over the course of a million miles.... :rofl:

#39 ·
I'm on the verge of giving a delete a try if I can gain the courage. I have lifetime power train through my dealer and that's what's been holding me back. Mine gets progressively worse as the oil breaks down. Right after then oil is changed I barely notice it and 3500 miles into it it's rocking the truck. I was stupid and let dealer try to find the issue right after they changed the oil lol.

#40 ·
What good is a warranty if they don't fix what's wrong? I recently took my truck in for some 4x4 issues. The truck SLAMS into 4x4. Sounds like someone is hitting the truck with a sledgehammer. Took it to ford and they said "it's operating normally". Again, what good is a warranty if they don't fix what's wrong?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.