P0087 & P2291 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Motor Problems 6.7 Motor Problems

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2014, 11:10 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
P0087 & P2291

I tried to do a search but my phone won't let me and the website is blocked on my work computer. My friend is getting these codes. 2011 6.7 42,000 miles stock. Said he filled it up last night. Drove home then to work this morning. Died while he was driving on base today. Now won't start. Any ideas where to start. I only had time to go over there on lunch and pull the codes. So don't have any other info from what he said. He said he didn't see any dash warning lights. The guy that pulled him out of the road said there was a valve by the fuel pump on the rail to drain water. He said they drained a little water out of the fuel.
Codes are
P0087 fuel rail/system pressure - too low.
P2291 injector control pressure too low engine cranking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2014, 11:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

How long ago did he change is fuel filters? some times when the filters are dirty you can get a low fuel rail pressure. Don't know where you live, but if the fuel starts gelling it causes a low rail pressure to. Mine did both.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:45 PM

He just got the truck so not sure how long ago the filters were changed. We are gonna try that. I was able to do a little research last night. If the filters don't work we were thinking of doing the low pressure pump next. Anyone know if the low pressure pump or sensors on the fuel rail are covered by the powertrain warranty. From what I read sounds like if it is the high pressure pump the won't cover it and say it was bad fuel. I'm in the south. Its 70 right now so gelling isn't an issue.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:21 PM
<b>Premium Member</b>

I killed my fuel pump on my 6.4 cause I forgot to change the filters for 25k. Bad choice.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:36 AM

We changed the filters and no luck. He took it to Ford the other day and they looked at it and said its rust in the fuel system. Needs a whole new one. $10841.00. He is talking to the place he got it from and seeing what they say. He got it about 2 months ago but I'm pretty sure it didn't have a warranty from them. Just the factory. So he may be picking up the bill.

Is there an aftermarket water separator that would stop this from happening again.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Where are you located?
Old 03-03-2014, 12:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Get a quote from the dealer for just labor. It's supposed to book at approximately 17 hours so you should be looking at $1,700 +/- on the labor.

Then, order the kit that includes just about everything you need for $3,040 (Ford created the kit for simplicity on replacing the fuel system). You do need to request all parts back because there is a $1,500 core charge that you obviously will want refunded back.

You are at half of what the dealer is quoting. Dealers seem to be quoting the parts separately and then they just order the kit and bank a ton more money on parts and the customer has no clue.

Ford Parts - AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake Parts (previously Tousley Ford Parts)

The kit comes with all injectors, steel lines, return line/harness, fuel pump etc. It does not come with the DCFM or the fuel cooler assembly but they can be flushed.

Part number EC3Z-9B246-A

Yes there is an aftermarket fuel/water separator. Many have purchased and I haven't seen any bad reviews about it.

http://www.dieselsite.com/dieselsite...separator.aspx

Last edited by blwnsmoke; 03-03-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on diesel View Post
Where are you located?
Bossier city Louisiana
Old 03-03-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blwnsmoke View Post
Get a quote from the dealer for just labor. It's supposed to book at approximately 17 hours so you should be looking at $1,700 +/- on the labor.

Then, order the kit that includes just about everything you need for $3,040 (Ford created the kit for simplicity on replacing the fuel system). You do need to request all parts back because there is a $1,500 core charge that you obviously will want refunded back.

You are at half of what the dealer is quoting. Dealers seem to be quoting the parts separately and then they just order the kit and bank a ton more money on parts and the customer has no clue.

Ford Parts - AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake Parts (previously Tousley Ford Parts)

The kit comes with all injectors, steel lines, return line/harness, fuel pump etc. It does not come with the DCFM or the fuel cooler assembly but they can be flushed.

Part number EC3Z-9B246-A

Yes there is an aftermarket fuel/water separator. Many have purchased and I haven't seen any bad reviews about it.

http://www.dieselsite.com/dieselsite...separator.aspx
Does the cab have to be removed or is it something somebody with reasonable skills
can do in the driveway. (to replace the whole system)

Last edited by cletusjermal; 03-03-2014 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:14 PM
<b>Premium Member</b>

I think the cab has to be removed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.