6.7 Hesitation When Cold - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Motor Problems 6.7 Motor Problems

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2014, 11:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.7 Hesitation When Cold

I have a new-to-me 2011 F350 6.7. After a cold start and during light acceleration it will hesitate. It's as if fuel/motor shuts off just for a second. This happens just after pulling away from the first stop after startup, and usually during a turn.

Before you flame me, I know there are about 5 or 6 previous threads describing a similar issue. Those threads have died off without any resolution or turned into another issue, usually the violent bucking that seems to be associated with a head gasket (not the issue here).

Has anyone found a solution to this particular issue yet? It's been around since 2011 on this forum with no resolution that I could find.

Thanks for any help on this (as well as the many answers I've found here previously)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2014, 11:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

How soon after the cold start?

Like, is it 5 degrees out, you hop in, start, and drive off, and it does this? Or is that after truck has been warmed up a bit, then still does this?
Old 01-31-2014, 12:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Within 30 seconds after start up. Not particularly cold weather. I'm in southern California so 50 is cold. After a minute or two of driving it won't happen again.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldnpd View Post
Within 30 seconds after start up. Not particularly cold weather. I'm in southern California so 50 is cold. After a minute or two of driving it won't happen again.
Hmm, that is odd, I could see in like freezing weather, sub zero, etc. it doesn't always run quite up to par right off the bat, but never any issues at temperatures like you mention.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldnpd View Post
I have a new-to-me 2011 F350 6.7. After a cold start and during light acceleration it will hesitate. It's as if fuel/motor shuts off just for a second. This happens just after pulling away from the first stop after startup, and usually during a turn.

Before you flame me, I know there are about 5 or 6 previous threads describing a similar issue. Those threads have died off without any resolution or turned into another issue, usually the violent bucking that seems to be associated with a head gasket (not the issue here).

Has anyone found a solution to this particular issue yet? It's been around since 2011 on this forum with no resolution that I could find.

Thanks for any help on this (as well as the many answers I've found here previously)
Not sure. But asking and discussing on these forums is the best place to start. About everything I ever learned about the issues with all the diesels has come from the forums, good independent diesel mechanics and the aftermarket world in general. If it were not for all of those folks Ford would still be trying to tell us there were no problems with the 6.0
That said I would find out from word of mouth who your good local independent diesel mechanics are and go see one. It's probably too simple to just confirm good fuel, water separator is drained, clean oil, good engine coolant, clean air filter, maybe run a little fuel additive like PS, tight connections/fittings under the hood but always helps to just keep everything clean and tidy. I'm old fashioned changing oil every 3000 miles, changing coolant/other fluids/air filters always earlier than Ford recommends.
BTW - it's an engine hesitation not a transmission shifting delay? My 2011 6.7 sometimes felt like engine was dropping power output just about time would shift, was usually from stop or slow roll. If I put the truck in tow mode, although not towing, it seemed was a smoother shift from first and did not sense the engine dropping power/cutting out slightly.
Good luck let us know what you figure out.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks fordtrix and MT4X4, I'll definitely post if it gets resolved. I don't think it's tranny, but I know these things sometimes fool you. The motor noise drops off when it happens so I'm believing it's abrupt, momentary power loss.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Im not sure what causes it , but I don't think it is anything serious or even to be concerned about for that matter. I own a 2011 6.7 and know of 8 other people that I deal with on a daily basis and ALL have had this happen at some point in time and most quite often. It usually happens during colder temps but not always. Mine did it the other morning and it was 65 degrees at the time. My business partner just bought a brand new one about 5 months ago and his has did it half a dozen times at least, some during cold temps and some during mild temps. Im not saying evrybodys does it but I think a big percentage does. I talked to my local Ford dealerships diesel tech and he said that it seems to be pretty common and they can find no reason for it. He said he believes it must have something to do with the air /fuel mixture at a given time ( literally a split second)but not sure what and as he said, that's just an educated guess at best! Local diesel shop pretty much said the same as for it being common but also said he isn't sure what causes it but feels its nothing to be concerned with. He said there is lots of guesses out there on what actually causes it but no solid answer with facts to back it up.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:52 AM

My 2013 does it too. Since day 1 almost every time I start it up and take off. Mines does it in warm or cold weather. Kind of annoying but I'm not worried about it. Def not going to let the dealer jack with it just for this.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-19-2014, 05:56 AM
Premium Member

it should do that to give you time to hold on
Old 03-20-2014, 06:01 PM
dennis49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhunter4 View Post
My 2013 does it too. Since day 1 almost every time I start it up and take off. Mines does it in warm or cold weather. Kind of annoying but I'm not worried about it. Def not going to let the dealer jack with it just for this.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
My 2012 f350 has done the same thing from day 1. dealer put in new turbo still does it. Most of the time it hesitates when I make a left turn or going slow like in a parking lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.